• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

B11/Norge Startus Interruptus-the MPH Solution

I installed my starter wiring kit this afternoon. There was a lot of corrosion on battery terminal wires. I scrubbed them and then got everything hooked back up.

I hit the starter button and the bike didn't start, there was a non-stop clicking from under the fuel tank. I quickly removed one of the battery wires and scrubbed both again and hooked them back up.

This time the bike fired up as it should. Cool! I turned it off and then tried again and it cranked but the red triangle popped up on the dash.

I went inside and started searching here and found the code to get into diagnostics. I was getting dashboard code 7 which I found to be the oil sensor fault.

I cleared the error codes and then started the bike. No red triangle. Cool! I tried again and got the triangle, grrrrr. Then again and no triangle! It went back and forth like this for a few minutes then I quit before I hurt something.

After a several minute break, I started the bike again a few times and no red triangle any of the times!

It's times like this that I regret not buying one of the leftover Aprilia Shivers I looked at at European Motorsports instead of this leftover Breva 1100.

Probably a loose wire on the oil sensor - totally unrelated but still a pain in the arse!

Getting to the sensor requires tank removal and probably the airbox as well. Others have reported the wire on top of the sensor is quite loose and just needs "adjusting" so it has good contact. Plan for it when you need to service the inner plugs, if you can wait for that long. Mine has been doing it for the last 8 months or so and quite intermittently, I have oil and oil pressure so I am not worried.

40,000 km service is just around the corner so I will attack it then.

Oz1200Guzzi said:
Probably a loose wire on the oil sensor - totally unrelated but still a pain in the arse!

Getting to the sensor requires tank removal and probably the airbox as well. Others have reported the wire on top of the sensor is quite loose and just needs "adjusting" so it has good contact. Plan for it when you need to service the inner plugs, if you can wait for that long. Mine has been doing it for the last 8 months or so and quite intermittently, I have oil and oil pressure so I am not worried.

40,000 km service is just around the corner so I will attack it then.

Thanks Tony. I took it out this evening to run some errands and it started fine every time and I had no errors pop up. I'm starting to think my bike is female. :mrgreen:

I've said it before - you don't own a Moto Guzzi - you have an affair with one. And yes, definitely female AND Italian.

Had this problem again yesterday with my B11 after a nice 70 mile ride and stopping for gas. This is the fourth time it has happened, but the first since replacing the battery four months ago. My symptoms are an exact match to RJVB's description in this thread. The bike finally restarted after about 20 minutes while waiting for AAA....

I was just out in the garage to scope out the wiring mod, and boy, do I feel like a spaz! :oops:

First, where is the 4-pin connector located? Is it under the plastic panel holding the relays on the RH side?

Second, where is the connector to the starter solenoid? It is the heavy connector on the back of the unit with rubber sleeve/cover?

Thanks in advance....

Yes and no (it's the small one), I think, but don't do anything without consulting the wiring diagram. Carl Allison's diagrams are colored and downloadable here under the download tab. No need to mess with the solenoid wire (small female spade). With a wire to the relay from the battery the loss in amperage to the solenoid is not an issue.

You'll need a latch type female spade terminal. These are some times hard to find, I bought a bunch from Mouser.com for future projects.

Rafael said:
Yes and no (it's the small one), I think, but don't do anything without consulting the wiring diagram. Carl Allison's diagrams are colored and downloadable here under the download tab. No need to mess with the solenoid wire (small female spade). With a wire to the relay from the battery the loss in amperage to the solenoid is not an issue.

You'll need a latch type female spade terminal. These are some times hard to find, I bought a bunch from Mouser.com for future projects.

Thanks Rafael! A closer look with more patience (and less heat in the garage) was useful.

I was able to remove/reuse the spade from the connector and I ran a fused lead directly from the battery. Bike even started afterward. :D

Fingers crossed this cures the problem.

15 Amp fuse seems to be the minimum. I had a 7.5 Amp fuse for a while until it blew one day. 15 Amp seems to have done the trick with no issues for 2 years. Good work!

Oz1200Guzzi said:
15 Amp fuse seems to be the minimum. I had a 7.5 Amp fuse for a while until it blew one day. 15 Amp seems to have done the trick with no issues for 2 years. Good work!

Thanks Tony...I used a 15A fuse. Heading out shortly for a test ride. ;)

I havent done then yellow wire mod on my b11. When I have the start problem I clean the blades on the 15A fuse the battery terminals and the rh bar start switch. Works for me.

Bought a Breva 1100 yesterday (2006) and it seem it has this same problem.

I could work-through the wiring etc. but if there is a standard solution I would prefer to get that and have the bike on the road ASAP. Is this solution still available? what price including shipping to the UK?

Cimbian said:
Bought a Breva 1100 yesterday (2006) and it seem it has this same problem.

I could work-through the wiring etc. but if there is a standard solution I would prefer to get that and have the bike on the road ASAP. Is this solution still available? what price including shipping to the UK?

Ask them direct. http://mphcycles.com/contact/

The MPH kit is a breeze to install. Be advised, the starter relay is not always in the position the manuals states.

Found a combination of errors...

1. 'Yellow wire mod' had not been done.
2. Battery had been replaced with a lower A/hr rating
3. and this was the killer... A retro fit alarm installation had used whisker-thin wires between the original starter relay socket and the relay!

Installed a fused feed of 3.1mm2 wire from the red/green supply and generally tidied-up the wiring. Also cleaned all terminals with fibreglass brush and fitted star washers in the engine-ground. So far, so good. :)

Will upgrade the battery for the winter.

Steve.

I've just purchased one of these MPH kits for my soon to be Breva 1200 2V. Being not the most mechanically minded, can anyone give me a quick run through on where to plug/ bolt what using this kit please?
Cheers

Don

I've just purchased one of these MPH kits for my soon to be Breva 1200 2V. Being not the most mechanically minded, can anyone give me a quick run through on where to plug/ bolt what using this kit please?
Cheers

Don

You'd be better off asking the suppliers. I would expect the kit comes with instructions.

All I use is an in-line fuse on a short piece of wire attached to the battery positive.

I don't recall if the kit comes with instructions. The kit has a line that is fused that connects to the battery. One socket plugs in where the starter relay was located, and the relay then plugs in to the new socket provided by the kit.

Does the tank shroud need to come off to do this fix?
In other words, is the start relay under the seat or is it near to the headlight?

Back