• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 III Fuel Cap

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
Split from the other thread to talk about the V7 III fuel cap...

Monza gas cap for the V7 III, this could be it: baakmotocyclettes.com/en/home/39-monza-gas-cap-.html
Paul

The problem with the V7 III gascap is that the way it's shaped (overstyled), you have difficulty getting a grip on the thing to turn it. You don't want to drag your fingers, gloved or not, along the paint finish while wrestling the thing off to fill the tank.
Another potential problem is the possibility of the cap slipping from your grip and dropping onto the painted tank during removal or replacement, or just being damaged dropping it onto the pavement while refueling.

It's artsy-fartsy, but it's not a very good, user-friendly, cap design.

IMG 20170726 113635

I will put the Monza cap on the online Store soon, along with the CNC retractable knob cap below. Shown on my V7 III Stone.

IMG 1529 IMG 1530

I bought a cheap chrome framed, neoprene sided "motorcycle handlebar cup holder" from ebay, and mounted it to put the gas cap in whilst filling up. I added some snaps to the sides to shorten it up as it only needs to be about 1.5" deep.

What does the Monza cap look like, Todd?

The retractable is nice looking, once you get used to the fact that it sits inside the space on the tank that the standard cap usually covers. I presume you pop it up, turn the knob, and the gas cap lifts out just like the OEM cap does. Is that correct?

Also: What is the approximate price for these caps?

Monza cap below. Both can be searched/priced via newer Triumph Bonneville gas caps.

MonzaGasCap

Anyone have a picture of a Monza style cap on a V7 tank? I might be interested in one for my V7II if it looks right and would be available.

Anyone have a picture of a Monza style cap on a V7 tank? I might be interested in one for my V7II if it looks right and would be available.
No, they will not fit the V7 I-II, only the III & V9. Those both have a spin on cap.

I like the Monza flip up cap, but shown on the Triumph Bonnie, it looks like it sticks up above the tank excessively and looks kinda doofus to me. I'd like to see it on the Guzzi to see how it is positioned. Edit...I ordered a Motone cap from ebay just now to see how it fits.

Last edited:
I like the Monza flip up cap, but shown on the Triumph Bonnie, it looks like it sticks up above the tank excessively and looks kinda doofus to me. I'd like to see it on the Guzzi to how it is positioned.
Me Too. I'm frustrated by the OEM fuel cap and looking for a replacement that's both esthetically pleasing and convenient to use.

Paul

Not to thread jack or anything, but has anyone ever seen a Monza style cap for the older V7 models?

My Ducati 750GTs all had Monza-type gas caps, so did some other bikes I've owned. They do stick up a bit, which can make a dent in the capacity of a tank bag and also make one tricky to fit.

I'm more inclined to like the CNC popup type gas cap. My question to Todd, however: The standard V7III gas cap has a cage in the tank opening that provides two things: a necked hole for the fuel filler nozzle and an air hole. When filling the tank, I top up until the fuel comes up to the air hole, which leaves the correct, minimum amount of air space at the top of the tank; it prevents over-filling the tank. So my question has to do with whether this cage would stay in place with either the Monza or CNC popup caps.

I like having a simple gauge like this to prevent me from doing stupid things... :)

(By and large, it must be said: I don't find the V7III fuel cap much of a problem. It's a little funky looking but it seems to work just fine; I don't have any problems removing and replacing it. My interest in a different fuel cap is purely aesthetic.)

G

Agreed, I wonder if the portion that goes into the cap area covers up those extra holes, or even limits the pump nozzle going in. I'll know next week when my Motone arrives. I like to watch the tank fill to prevent splashing out.

Back