• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V85 Engine Comparo Banter

Poppe

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
I'm thinking a V-Strom would be a more fair comparison..... but of course the V85 has no equal.

Paul

I agree, but that’s why I laugh at our friends across the pond and their rush to review the bike and do the comparisons. “What bike should we compare it too, how about a tiger, gs, and Africa twin” haha

I agree, but that’s why I laugh at our friends across the pond and their rush to review the bike and do the comparisons. “What bike should we compare it too, how about a tiger, gs, and Africa twin” haha
One notable reason I wouldn't compare it to those you reference is the motor. None of those are V-twins which has power characteristics far different then The parallel motors configuration in the bike you reference.

Paul

Last edited:
One notable reason I would compare it to those you reference is the motor. None of those are V-twins which has power characteristics far different then The parallel motors configuration in the bike you reference.

Paul
Eeehhh, not that different. The sideways mounting of the engine is the biggest difference. Being a V twin vs a parallel twin (or a flat twin) is not that big a difference.

Eeehhh, not that different. The sideways mounting of the engine is the biggest difference. Being a V twin vs a parallel twin (or a flat twin) is not that big a difference.

So a Goose is very different than a Duck, but not that different to a parallel or flat twin in your opinion?

Sorry, I agree with Paul.

Not sure how you define 'that much difference".
V/flat wins are noted for the greater low-mid range torques and very flat torque curve. It's not uncommon for parallels twins to have more HP the V-Twins. The heptic feed back the rides receives is completely different. I find the v/flat to have characteristics more to my liking. Sure, in the end they are both internal combustion engines but with different characteristics. As always, YMMV.

Paul

So a Goose is very different than a Duck, but not that different to a parallel or flat twin in your opinion?

Sorry, I agree with Paul.
I did not say a Guzzi is very different than a Duck, unless it is a Superbike Duck.
Ducati's tend to rev higher and more more Hp and less Torque compared to Guzzi motors. The Duc superbike based motors more so that the two valve motors. But not counting the superbike motors Duc motors and Guzzi motors are not that different. Different? Sure. But not that different.

Hog wash!
Go ride a versys 650 once.
Night and day difference!
I have ridden a Versys (and a Ninja 650). They aren't that different motor-wise from a small block Guzzi. They are a lot different compared to a big block Guzzi.

Not sure how you define 'that much difference".
V/flat wins are noted for the greater low-mid range torques and very flat torque curve. It's not uncommon for parallels twins to have more HP the V-Twins. The heptic feed back the rides receives is completely different. I find the v/flat to have characteristics more to my liking. Sure, in the end they are both internal combustion engines but with different characteristics. As always, YMMV.

Paul
Sorry, the angle of the V is not what determines if a twin makes more Hp or more torque. That is far more about the bore to stroke ratio, the number and size of valves, cams, and details like rod length.
Some V twins are more about torque, like HD. But others are more about hp, like the Ducati's. Guzzi's tend to be somewhere in the middle, not super torquey nor are they about max hp.

I did not say a Guzzi is very different than a Duck, unless it is a Superbike Duck.
Ducati's tend to rev higher and more more Hp and less Torque compared to Guzzi motors. The Duc superbike based motors more so that the two valve motors. But not counting the superbike motors Duc motors and Guzzi motors are not that different. Different? Sure. But not that different.

until you have to adjust the valves!

Sorry, the angle of the V is not what determines if a twin makes more Hp or more torque. That is far more about the bore to stroke ratio, the number and size of valves, cams, and details like rod length.
Some V twins are more about torque, like HD. But others are more about hp, like the Ducati's. Guzzi's tend to be somewhere in the middle, not super torquey nor are they about max hp.

Given equal displacement V/flat twins are, in general, likely to be tuned for more torques in the low/mid RPM range and poses a very flat torque curve. The Duc is a different animal, that motor config have perfect balance and because of that is able to rev higher with less vibration.... Sure, counter balance shaft can help to smooth motors not in natural balance.

Paul

Given equal displacement V/flat twins are, in general, likely to be tuned for more torques in the low/mid RPM range and poses a very flat torque curve. The Duc is a different animal, that motor config have perfect balance and because of that is able to rev higher with less vibration.... Sure, counter balance shaft can help to smooth motors not in natural balance.

Paul
As mentioned, Ducati's aren't about torque, they are about hp. Other V twins that are about hp include the RC51, the RSV, the XV (SXV and RXV), and the TLR.
The type of twin, the angle of the V if it is a V twin, and even the layout of the crankshaft, can change how well it puts the power down. The intervals between the power pulses don't change the amount of power the engine makes, but it can change the way it puts the power to the ground. That can help improve traction. Yamaha have a parallel twin with a 90 degree crank that has the compactness of the parallel twin but the engine firing pattern and balance of a 90 degree V twin.

The type of twin, the angle of the V if it is a V twin, and even the layout of the crankshaft, can change how well it puts the power down. The intervals between the power pulses don't change the amount of power the engine makes, but it can change the way it puts the power to the ground. That can help improve traction. Yamaha have a parallel twin with a 90 degree crank that has the compactness of the parallel twin but the engine firing pattern and balance of a 90 degree V twin.

What about the Triumph Street Twin?

What about the Triumph Street Twin?
Yeah, the Triumph Street Twin is doing what Yamaha did years ago. It changes the feel of the engine, and the way it puts it power down. But it really doesn't change the power it makes and where in the rpm range it makes it.
That is a lightly oversquare twin that makes more horsepower than torque, but not in an extreme way like a 4 valve water cooled Ducati V twin. The Triumph is also fairly mildly tuned, 65 hp @ 7500 rpm is less power than a V11 but around the same rpms.
Honda did a similar trick with the Honda 650 Hawk GT. It had a V engine with something like a 57 degree V angle and then they offset the crank to get to the 90 degree interval between the cylinders. It worked well enough, but for racers it sucked as if you pushed the engine far enough power wise it would break the crank. An offset crank like that is either heavier than a standard crank, not as strong as a standard crank, or some combination of the two.

Back