• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7/9 Fuel Filter Replacement How-To

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
Run your tank low or drain as we did for the video below.
For the record, the half plastic/half metal filter failures (shown below) has nothing to do with ethanol, though not debatable that it makes it far worse for a short service life.
The manufacturer, Mahle, states it is was only designed for use with diesel fuel, and on no account should it be immersed gasoline.
We offer our all metal version below. You can use many others.

Plastic separated from metal - leaving the bike stranded.
FuelFilter Split

LOL, I wonder how much time was cut out to make it look like it only took a few seconds to remove the filter/pump unit?
None. We just pulled the bolts. But keep in mind guys, this is my shop where we've done it countless times. We were asked to give a video to show it, so we did. Welcome.

None. We just pulled the bolts. But keep in mind guys, this is my shop where we've done it countless times. We were asked to give a video to show it, so we did. Welcome.
No insult intended, you folks do great work and it is muchly appreciated. I just have a hard time watching someone pop that out is a few seconds when I have fought with mine for literally hours and still not yet succeeded. Will try again after next weeks small trip.

Thanks Again.

This is great. I've been putting off replacing the fuel filter, but now that I have a better idea of what's involved, I'll feel a lot better about doing it. I could love to see more of this type of content on here. I think more people might buy parts like full exhausts, SAS kits, LED headlights, TTK, etc... if they saw how easy it is to install themselves. A quick, concise, and clear video showing steps involved would save people who don't have much experience from needing to spend hours reading through forums and asking questions. Plus, monetize those videos on youtube. I'd sit through a 10 second ad to watch some clear instructions for whatever $50-$1500 part it I'm planning to order.

Pretty cool... no problems with my V7 III Special at four thousand miles... knock on wood
Not a matter of if, matter of when. ;)
Same with my Anniversario at 5200 KM. Mind you I have never put anything but Ethanol free fuel in the tank. The filter is still pristine and white.
See revised words on top post. Just FYI.

Makes me wonder... I will ask Mike Haven to check gas filter at service this fall. My old 2012 V7R went 17K miles with no fuel filter change.
Did Luigi in Mandello drink too much cheap chianti and put this current filter in the tanks?

It remains a mystery why MG chose this filter, Mahle KL150, which the manufacturer clearly states is intended for diesel, not gasoline. I replaced the one on my V7(I) with an all-metal Mahle KL145. Unfortunately, the diameter of the KL145 was a bit larger than that of the KL-150, and I couldn't get the assembled unit back into the tank unless I removed the Zip-tie that holds the filter against the pump. So, then I had a different worry, theat the filter would eventually shake itself loose in the tank.

We really don't know what the failure rate is, or if any or all of the reported failures were due to defective manufacture. For my current V7II, I'm choosing to wait until the half-plastic filter fails. I've put on over 30,000 mi. and there's still no problem with it. But, I did buy a replacement filter kit here at Todd's online store and I keep it in a saddle bag in case I need it some day.

Donating, in part due to this vid and the one on regular service- hadn't done valve lash on MG before and seeing it done lifts the impediment- thanks for making these additional vids on the basics/DIY for newer models.

My filter was swollen and about to pop! Mike Haven fixed me up. Mileage on my V7 III Special was 4100 miles...

Last edited:
As a new owner of a 2017 V 7 iii Special, I really appreciate this type of how-to video by an expert! I plan on replacing mine soon. I would rather use the Oetiker clamps but don't really want to buy the clamp pliers for a one-time use. Does anyone know a trick to crimp theses clamps without the special Oetiker tool?

Last edited:
As a new owner of a 2017 V 7 iii Special, I really appreciate this type of how-to video by an expert! I plan on replacing mine soon. I would rather use the Oetiker clamps but don't really want to buy the clamp pliers for a one-time use. Does anyone know a trick to crimp theses clamps with more common tools or method?

This is what I found, looks simple enough.

Never pass up a good excuse to buy a new tool!

As a new owner of a 2017 V 7 iii Special, I really appreciate this type of how-to video by an expert! I plan on replacing mine soon. I would rather use the Oetiker clamps but don't really want to buy the clamp pliers for a one-time use. Does anyone know a trick to crimp theses clamps without the special Oetiker tool?[/QUOTE

You will use it more than once. Some of the clamps from factory you can slide apart but you need a tool to get them properly back together. I got a cheap one from auto parts store and took off the moveable center piece.

shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/performance-tools-ear-type-cv-joint-boot-clamp-pliers-for-all-ear-type-clamps-including-gm-fwd-outboard-cv-joints-also-ideal-for-installing-clamps-fuel-filters-w83013/11957869-p

Run your tank low or drain as we did for the video below.
For the record, the half plastic/half metal filter failures (shown below) has nothing to do with ethanol, though not debatable that it makes it far worse for a short service life.
The manufacturer, Mahle, states it is was only designed for use with diesel fuel, and on no account should it be immersed gasolene.
We offer our all metal version here; https://gtmotocycles.com/products/all-metal-in-tank-fuel-filters -- or you can use many others.

Plastic separated from metal - leaving the bike stranded.
View attachment 17906

Is there a gasket between the tank and fuel filter housing and do you need to replace it?
I did not see one in the video. Thx!

Back