• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Sudden appearance of oil leak from top of engine

scottmastrocinque

GT Godfather!
GT di Razza Pura
I recently developed a oil leak predominantly on the left hand side of my engine. I discovered the problem and solution so I offer the information here in the event you develop the same.

I noticed a drip of a few oil drops on the garage floor. Upon inspection, oil was lightly all over the underside of the left cylinder head and it initially looked like the beginnings of a failed head gasket. I cleaned it off to see if I could better locate the source of oil.

After a 500 mile ride, the oil had returned to the underside of the left cylinder as well as towards the rear of the engine in the left side. I also noticed spritzed oil on the right hand side of the engine now as well.

So, I removed the tank, where I discovered the crankcase vent tube, after 8 years of riding here in Ohio winters and summers, had become stiff and brittle on the end, and the crankcase vent end of the hose was simply pushed onto the metal crankcase vent tube. Given its hardened condition, it was no longer tight on the tube, and in fact, had blown off for the most part.

The oil was from the oil saturated air passing out the crankcase vent tube which had covered the underside of the fuel tank and all the wires and hoses, with a fine misted oil which had dripped and run all over the left cylinder, giving the appearance of a blown cylinder gasket. (You can see the fine mist of oil on the left intake tract in the lower left of the photo.)

I cut 1 cm of the brittle end off of the crankcase vent end of the rubber “U” hose (the center tube going down the silver metal bracket), reseated it and crimped an Oetiker clamp on it. I then put another Oetiker clamp on the other end of the “U” hose where it connected to the air-box intake on the left (seen in the photo).

I checked the inside of the air-box and there was no oil. (This BTW, is why you must not overfill your crankcase, because the liquid oil will be blown right into the air-box via this hose setup!)

Everything is fine now. No more oil leak. Some degreaser and a good wash, and it’s just like new again!

If you develop a similar oil leak, you might want to check this location.

06B023FA 79AE 47FA BDB8 EC20BF8E2A7C

I just replaced these on the right and left of my Norge. I tried cutting a small piece off late last summer and by the end of the season the hose on the left had split again and started leaking.
This is a very common issue. Apparently Moto Guzzi used a type of rubber hose which does not stand up well to heat and oil.

I just replaced these on the right and left of my Norge. I tried cutting a small piece off late last summer and by the end of the season the hose on the left had split again and started leaking.
This is a very common issue. Apparently Moto Guzzi used a type of rubber hose which does not stand up well to heat and oil.

Poor quality rubber components have been an issue with Moto Guzzi forever. Why do you think there are so many Italians? Bad rubber.

As mentioned, fairly common.
A common fix is to cross new Hoses over, so the L/H hose goes across to the right, then forwards to the Collector, and vice-versa.
It means you don't need such a tight bend in the Hose where it joins the Head Fitting.

As mentioned, fairly common.
A common fix is to cross new Hoses over, so the L/H hose goes across to the right, then forwards to the Collector, and vice-versa.
It means you don't need such a tight bend in the Hose where it joins the Head Fitting.

I'm not sure what you are saying here, as the left hand hose connects to the hose bib of the crankcase vent, just inches away. What difference does left or right one from the airbox make, as they are side by side and only inches away? :shake:

Sorry Scott, should have clarified it a bit better.
The 'Mod' is to take the left Hose, from the Cylinder Head Stub, across to the right side of the Bike, then forwards and up to the Collector.
The right Hose goes across to the left side, etc . . .
This avoids the sharp bend in the Hoses near the Heads.
96781054_10222530742566009_5714341854321836032_o.jpg

95903523_10222530748806165_8880594248898969600_o.jpg

Lower Hose here is the L/H one crossing over and going up the R/H side of the Bike.
Upper one is the R/H Hose . . .

There is another mod which uses Banjo hose Fittings at the Head Outlets.
95718607_2950491478333577_355626685132963840_n.jpg

Sorry Scott, should have clarified it a bit better.
The 'Mod' is to take the left Hose, from the Cylinder Head Stub, across to the right side of the Bike, then forwards and up to the Collector.
The right Hose goes across to the left side, etc . . .
This avoids the sharp bend in the Hoses near the Heads.
96781054_10222530742566009_5714341854321836032_o.jpg

95903523_10222530748806165_8880594248898969600_o.jpg

Lower Hose here is the L/H one crossing over and going up the R/H side of the Bike.
Upper one is the R/H Hose . . .

There is another mod which uses Banjo hose Fittings at the Head Outlets.
95718607_2950491478333577_355626685132963840_n.jpg
Can you add the pictures please, I am having similar problems with my 08 Stelvio

I recently developed a oil leak predominantly on the left hand side of my engine. I discovered the problem and solution so I offer the information here in the event you develop the same.

I noticed a drip of a few oil drops on the garage floor. Upon inspection, oil was lightly all over the underside of the left cylinder head and it initially looked like the beginnings of a failed head gasket. I cleaned it off to see if I could better locate the source of oil.

After a 500 mile ride, the oil had returned to the underside of the left cylinder as well as towards the rear of the engine in the left side. I also noticed spritzed oil on the right hand side of the engine now as well.

So, I removed the tank, where I discovered the crankcase vent tube, after 8 years of riding here in Ohio winters and summers, had become stiff and brittle on the end, and the crankcase vent end of the hose was simply pushed onto the metal crankcase vent tube. Given its hardened condition, it was no longer tight on the tube, and in fact, had blown off for the most part.

The oil was from the oil saturated air passing out the crankcase vent tube which had covered the underside of the fuel tank and all the wires and hoses, with a fine misted oil which had dripped and run all over the left cylinder, giving the appearance of a blown cylinder gasket. (You can see the fine mist of oil on the left intake tract in the lower left of the photo.)

I cut 1 cm of the brittle end off of the crankcase vent end of the rubber “U” hose (the center tube going down the silver metal bracket), reseated it and crimped an Oetiker clamp on it. I then put another Oetiker clamp on the other end of the “U” hose where it connected to the air-box intake on the left (seen in the photo).

I checked the inside of the air-box and there was no oil. (This BTW, is why you must not overfill your crankcase, because the liquid oil will be blown right into the air-box via this hose setup!)

Everything is fine now. No more oil leak. Some degreaser and a good wash, and it’s just like new again!

If you develop a similar oil leak, you might want to check this location.

View attachment 19493
Hi Scott also checked out Raven's Griso posts, this is where the oil 'sweats' from on my 2011 NTX. Looks like it's coming from the left side cylinder head breather. See pic. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_7726.jpeg
    IMG_7726.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 39
Can you add the pictures please, I am having similar problems with my 08 Stelvio
Apologies for the late reply Nomad, don't come here that often now.
I don't have the photos I'm afraid, they were lifted from another Forum.
I'll try and find them again, but it's very simple really.
Instead of the R/H Hose coming off the Head, doing a 180° tight turn, and going up the R/H side of the Frame, you take it from the Head, and route it across to the inside of the L/H Frame Rail, then up to the Separator/Condenser Box.
Do the opposite with the L/H side.
Breathers
Obviously, you make the Bends as gradual as you can, just route them as required, up to the Condenser.

Hi Scott also checked out Raven's Griso posts, this is where the oil 'sweats' from on my 2011 NTX. Looks like it's coming from the left side cylinder head breather. See pic. Any thoughts?

Sorry I just saw this.

I’ve not seen a leak from there. I am doubting that it is actually coming from there because the Oetiker clamp is a solid connection unless the tube itself is cracked, and the cover bolted to the side of the head has a huge o-ring in it if I remember correctly and it only holds back positive crankcase air pressure only, no liquid.

I would check that hose for cracks and if I could find none, then wash with degreaser, and then sprinkle baby powder (corn starch) and go for a ride. Then sprinkle some more when I came back to see the real source of oil.

Have you removed the tank and inspected yet?

Good luck.

Last edited:
Scott.
I've just re-read your original post, and took another look at the photo.
One of the two Hoses, is the 'feed' from the Airbox to the Idle Control Valve (ICV, or 'Stepper') I believe.
The other one is the Hose that comes down from the Oil Condenser/Separator Box up at the Headstock, which is 'fed' by the two Hoses from the Cylinder Heads.
Not sure which is which, but I'm guessing the one that loops over and straight down goes to the ICV.
There will be heavy Oil Vapour in the Cylinder Head Hoses, that's why the Condenser/Separator Box is there, and why when they crack/split, they make a real mess.

Any Oil that condenses in the Box flows down the Hose that goes into the Sump, next to the Drain Plug.
Vapour gets sucked into the Airbox via the other Hose.

Did you have Oil in the Idle Control Valve Hose, or just the other one?

Blowby
Hoses 5 & 6 are the ones from the Cylinder Heads.
8 is the Oil return line to the Sump from the Box.
12 is the Vapour line from the Box to the Airbox.

:)

Thanks John except I understood all of this. My problem was solved a long time ago. I’m the original poster providing my findings and solution.

I think you should be directing your reply to saffermoto who seems to have recently developed the problem.

Thanks again!

Back