• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 Fuel Filter Not Replaceable?

Finally got around to replacing the V7III Fuel Filter. Glad that video was there. Along with the good advice in the above replies. It's a little stubborn getting out of the tank. A little patience and a little extra pressure and it slides out. The original filter certainly looks like it was gong to pop any day. Took it for a short 5 minute ride around the neighborhood. No issues.

1hLqAolFQpGjmeLahuBfR2dVCP1nGWcCC 1hMDuMxmU9gs8CVDxZ7TDNE5eJiQWp4n1

What a horrible, stupidly designed system.

Sure do agree with that! However, they DID get it in, and it WILL come back out. It's like those little twisted wire puzzles, which must be aligned exactly correctly to decouple them. It took me a couple of frustrating, fruitless hours one day. I put it down in disgust and came back to it the next day. It all-but fell out as I picked it up.

My advice on replacing the fuel pump/fuel filter is use a bloomin torque wrench, I think it is just 8Nm

edit as wrong figure: 5Nm (thanks for the correction @sib

on the 6 fuel pump bolts.... and is a £500+ mistake if you overtighten them as it'll smash your pump mounting. I found this out the hard (and expensive way) when I got my tank painted a couple of years back!

Pump

Last edited:
My advice on replacing the fuel pump/fuel filter is use a bloomin torque wrench, I think it is just 8Nm on the 6 fuel pump bolts.... and is a £500+ mistake if you overtighten them as it'll smash your pump mounting. I found this out the hard (and expensive way) when I got my tank painted a couple of years back!

View attachment 19658
According to the V7II service manual, the correct torque is 5 Nm.

seriously, it didn't take much, was using a small ratchet too and I'm no Popeye! :D

I just went to replace my fuel filter (2019 V7III Special) just as I have done on my previous V7's ... got the assembly out and much to my surprise - the filter was a Mahle KL145 all metal filter! Someone at the factory must have been listening. And no, this could not have been done post factory, as my bike was just purchased new by me and had a total of seven miles on it!

I just went to replace my fuel filter (2019 V7III Special) just as I have done on my previous V7's ... got the assembly out and much to my surprise - the filter was a Mahle KL145 all metal filter! Someone at the factory must have been listening. And no, this could not have been done post factory, as my bike was just purchased new by me and had a total of seven miles on it!
Yes, some of the 2019-20 V7s have had all metal. Put it on the shelf for down the road. Not many people change them on the suggested schedule. ;)

Yes, some of the 2019-20 V7s have had all metal. Put it on the shelf for down the road. Not many people change them on the suggested schedule. ;)
I've never seen any V7(I and II) service manual or owner's booklet state anything about changing the fuel filter or any schedule for that.

I've never seen any V7(I and II) service manual or owner's booklet state anything about changing the fuel filter or any schedule for that.
Of course not. It’s not a lifetime filter. The rule of thumb when replacing a fuel filter is every ~2 years or 30,000 miles. The best way to tell if your fuel filter needs replacing to do a fuel pressure test.

Of course not. It’s not a lifetime filter. The rule of thumb when replacing a fuel filter is every ~2 years or 30,000 miles. The best way to tell if your fuel filter needs replacing to do a fuel pressure test.
I can imagine a filter clogging up and needing to be replaced after putting really crappy, particulate-laden fuel in the tank. And I wouldn't argue about it not being a lifetime filter. On the other hand, my last car had an in-tank pump and filter, no bigger than the on in my V7II, and it went 13 years and nearly 200,000 mi. until sold it, without ever needing its filter replaced.

On the other hand, my last car had an in-tank pump and filter, no bigger than the on in my V7II, and it went 13 years and nearly 200,000 mi. until sold it, without ever needing its filter replaced.
Not sure what point you are trying to argue here; Apples/Oranges. I see ~250 bikes/year at my shop, and I maintain my rental fleet and personal bikes; I have close to 600k miles on Guzzis. For those who want to wait until it strands you, your prerogative. I’ve seen many that failed (early in their life), along with many U.S. dealers that I frequently communicate with. Simple fact that the company that makes the filters has stated that it was never designed to be submerged in standard fuel, much less ethanol.
All I’ll add on this, as I don’t have time to debate factual observations based on all I see as a moto business.

Anyway to know before removing tank and pulling filter if mine is already metal (2019 V7III Special)?

I'm going to poke my newbie head in here and state that since Moto Guzzi knowingly used a fuel filter that was not designed for use with the fuel that the vehicle was designed to use, that was their fault, the replacement should be a recall, issued immediately, and it should go back as far as the very first vehicle that was built using that plastic filter. Regardless of mileage, regardless of warranty, regardless of anything. Their mistake, they need to correct it.

Back