• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Aluminum fuel tank

Louisv97

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I tried digging through old threads but to no avail, has anyone tried to put an aluminum version of the fuel tank on a v7 iii? I'm interested since the stock tank is pretty heavy and I could see some potential weight savings.

I tried digging through old threads but to no avail, has anyone tried to put an aluminum version of the fuel tank on a v7 iii? I'm interested since the stock tank is pretty heavy and I could see some potential weight savings.
Doesn't exist, but if you mean the 70's V7 Sport tank, nothing would fit or work as to mounts, fuel pump, gas cap, etc etc.

Okay so a custom fuel tank would have to be fabbed.... any good recommendations?
I have guys that can do it, but you're looking at ~@$2000 without paint to do one.

I have guys that can do it, but you're looking at ~@$2000 without paint to do one.
got it. most aluminum fuel tanks are in that price range, so no big surprise there. Very well, once i recover from the big bore kit that will be next in line.

got it. most aluminum fuel tanks are in that price range, so no big surprise there. Very well, once i recover from the big bore kit that will be next in line.
And I would be surprised if there was much difference in weight.
Plastic isn't much heavier than aluminum. The stock tank is probably so heavy because of the fuel pump and whatnot in it.
I do like aluminum tanks, But paying to have a custom made aluminum tank made expecting a big difference in weight will probably be disappointing.

Plastic isn't much heavier than aluminum. The stock tank is probably so heavy because of the fuel pump and whatnot in it.
I do like aluminum tanks, But paying to have a custom made aluminum tank made expecting a big difference in weight will probably be disappointing.
I've held the fuel pump with my hands and it doesn't feel heavy at all. i've carried the oem steel tank without fuel and pump, I can tell you that it has some heft to it.

I've held the fuel pump with my hands and it doesn't feel heavy at all. i've carried the oem steel tank without fuel and pump, I can tell you that it has some heft to it.
If you really want an aluminum tank check out Evan Wilcox, he can make one but you will have to wait for it.

Mebbe I am misreading your post. T

Certainly true re plastic v. aluminum, but his III has a steel tank.

I can't see the co$t of a cu$tom alum tank on my EV or two V7's, as if I were that serious about weight loss, I'd eat fewer pancakes! :giggle:

Now, my plastic tanks on Griso and Norge ... grrrrrr. :swear:

Bill

I don't know which V7's have steel tanks and which have plastic. The tank on my Lario is steel. And it ain't that heavy (no fuel pump).
Most steel tanks I have seen didn't weigh more than five pounds. They are hollow, after all. An aluminum tank should be lighter, but even if it weighed nothing you couldn't save much weight on a street bike by switching from steel to aluminum. So, spending that much money on an aluminum tank to save a few pounds seems kinda extreme for a street bike to me. Kinda like swapping to a lithium battery to save weight on a street bike.

I don't know which V7's have steel tanks and which have plastic. The tank on my Lario is steel. And it ain't that heavy (no fuel pump).
Most steel tanks I have seen didn't weigh more than five pounds. They are hollow, after all. An aluminum tank should be lighter, but even if it weighed nothing you couldn't save much weight on a street bike by switching from steel to aluminum. So, spending that much money on an aluminum tank to save a few pounds seems kinda extreme for a street bike to me. Kinda like swapping to a lithium battery to save weight on a street bike.
I wouldn't doubt a small tank would way five pounds, but there's no way a v7 steel tank weighs that much.

How did I miss this thread :drunk:
Maybe He has Too much money... burning a hole in his pocket..
Buy a Racer or Special tank?

But then again I had a custom tank built for my Honda, because I couldn’t get more than 60-70 mile before I hit reserve !!!
Now I can go over 100 and have even more on reserve !

Last edited:
Regarding an aluminum gas tank, be careful about how its mounted if you intend to use it for more than a dozen or so races. Aluminum material will fatigue even at stress levels below its minimum yield strength. So the mounting provisions for an aluminum tank should effectively prevent any vibration from reaching the tank.

Jason

An alloy tank has the advantage of eliminating the chance of rust forming on the inside, and I've seen various vintage tanks where once the rust was removed there was only a lacey panel of steel left.

Evan does superb work and you will pay accordingly. But if you are handy with tools it can be fun to try and make your own tank. For the price of a purchased tank you can buy LOTS of aluminum sheet and metal bashing tools, and the alloy sheet can be either TIG or oxy/fuel welded.

Here's a tank I built for my Laverda 750 racer and another on my Honda 216 racer. Yes, they are "race" quality, not show quality, but they worked and were my early attempts at making a tank.

cheers,
Michael

LavSF2RRMK5012a1 HondaCR216006a3

An alloy tank has the advantage of eliminating the chance of rust forming on the inside, and I've seen various vintage tanks where once the rust was removed there was only a lacey panel of steel left.

Evan does superb work and you will pay accordingly. But if you are handy with tools it can be fun to try and make your own tank. For the price of a purchased tank you can buy LOTS of aluminum sheet and metal bashing tools, and the alloy sheet can be either TIG or oxy/fuel welded.

Here's a tank I built for my Laverda 750 racer and another on my Honda 216 racer. Yes, they are "race" quality, not show quality, but they worked and were my early attempts at making a tank.

cheers,
Michael
View attachment 23041 View attachment 23042

Great work there Michael!

Jason

Back