• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

only 7.3v while running

LaGrasta

Cruisin' Guzzisti
My V7 left me stranded for the first time, after 22k miles. It just shut down while riding, coasted to the side. No starter, but would bump start. After towed home, I checked the voltage and while running, it's only putting out 7.5 volts.
Suggestions (2010 V7 Cafe Classic)?

Should be easy to check alt wires coming from front by unpluging the voltage regulator. AC volts are in Service Man. That checks out it's the regulator. Inspect all fuses and connectors also. One of the two 30A fuses is for charging circuit. Two yellow wires on reg come from alt for AC check.

Last edited:
…with it running, I checked it at the starter, thus the 7.5v. I believe this confirms it's the alt. I wasn't certain of how the regulator factored into it though.

…with it running, I checked it at the starter, thus the 7.5v. I believe this confirms it's the alt. I wasn't certain of how the regulator factored into it though.

That confirms nothing. Test the way that Steve told you. Set meter to read AC voltage. It could be the voltage regulator which is easier and cheaper to replace.

There are quite a few aftermarket reg/rec units available, so not that expensive.

Assuming your battery will also be discharges, if you can, remove it and charge it up, otherwise you may have to replace that as well.

The voltage regulator requires a good earth to the frame/engine. Try adding a wire from the case to an engine bolt.

Thank you everyone. I’ve had a busy morning but I have a bit of time now to run out to the garage and test a few things. I’ll report back when I learn more

That doesn't look good. Most difficult bit will be getting a new good connection there. Burned wires need cleaning well. But the connector will need replacing, bound to have lost it's spring. Which is possibly what caused the heat.

Once you remove the black connector, if it is spade type connections you don't need the factory type connector. Individual spade connectors will be fine. I do recommend soldering the new connectors to the wires and make a sleeve to waterproof the finished job. It doesn't matter which wire goes where as it is AC current.

Once the wire has burned to that extent, soldering can be very difficult. But if you can cut it back a little to get clean copper, you can solder OK.
Spade connectors do have the weakness, if they are not tight, they will heat up, then the spring in them collapses and your problem gets worse.

So tell me how many motorcycle manufacturers use solder joints any more ?
Chances are that if you can't crimp a joint with the "Proper crimping tools" chances
of a good solder are probably not too promising either :) . YMMV , Peter

So tell me how many motorcycle manufacturers use solder joints any more ?
Chances are that if you can't crimp a joint with the "Proper crimping tools" chances
of a good solder are probably not too promising either :) . YMMV , Peter

They don't solder as it takes time, and time is money on assembly. I have a missile system background and believe me for a good connection a proper solder joint is how to go. I had the three point connector on my LeMans (1990 Bosch system) fry. I redid the three spade connectors (made them individual) and tinned the three male spades at the alternator. No issues since.

Boy we're going some where now with the rocket industry :clap:, Do they use 12 volts ?
20 years with crimped connectors on my Le Mans 2 ( and god knows how many kilometers )
and all is fine too . So to each his own as they say ! Oh yeah and as a closing note , how many
miles do those rockets have on them ? ;) Peter
Happy New Year everybody.

I have a missile system background and believe me for a good connection a proper solder joint is how to go.

I believe it was the US Military that determined that a soldered joint was the third reliable means of securing a good connection. Insulation displacement (punch blocks) was the best, closely followed by wire wrap (we called them Xmas trees). Has things changed since then?

Back