• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

guess that noise....

Was adjusting the valve clearances the other day as they were all slightly large... Bike has now covered about 22,000mi, sometimes noisier than other times, but still running!

Bit of an obvious newby question - the bolt that is tightened to close the valve clearances: surely that will only ever be able to be turned so many times. i.e has a certain lifespan of x number of valve clearance checks (assuming they always need closing)

The reason I ask is that one of the RH valves was pretty much at short limit of the screw, that is to say the thread is just about all the way to the top of the locking-nut

Sounds like you have a tappet gone.

The adjuster screws don't have a limit of turns. But they can be damaged if over tightened

Back to Thermostats for a moment.
In the Stelvio (and Norge/Sport) Manuals, there is this pic . . .
Thermostat

It's not shown in the Griso version, nor is it mentioned in the text for the Oil System Description.

I have a vague recollection of reading something about this not long after I bought my Stelly (Oct/Nov 2015?).

Anyone know if it is fitted?

John, pretty it was found out a while ago not to be present on the bike.

That being said you are a day late. I just buttoned up the oil pan last night after having it off to check the internal filters. Good news is everything looked fine. I don't recall seeing anything like that, but then again, was not looking for it.

John, pretty sure it was found out a while ago not to be present on the bike . . .
That ties in with what I (vaguely) remember reading somewhere.
Picture possibly a left-over from a prototype or pre-production Engine?

I'll be removing my Sump when I do the Thermostat mod, I want to put another temp Sensor in there, to compare with the readings I'm getting from the current set-up.
OilTempSender1
OilTempSender3

Back to Thermostats for a moment.
In the Stelvio (and Norge/Sport) Manuals, there is this pic . . .

It's not shown in the Griso version, nor is it mentioned in the text for the Oil System Description.

I have a vague recollection of reading something about this not long after I bought my Stelly (Oct/Nov 2015?).

Anyone know if it is fitted?

That sump spacer is used in the 2V Lemans, Sport and 4V Centauro. That thermostat was used in those bike, and altered the flow to where the cooler was attached. It might apply to the 2V Griso with the cooler attached to the sump spacer. Even if it was in the 8V Stevio sump, it wouldn't do anything, since it is for the sump spacer attached cooler. The 8V motors have the cooler attached almost directly to the cooler pump. Probably no good place in the motor for a thermostat. I still can't believe there is no thermostat in the cooler itself or somewhere.

. . . I still can't believe there is no thermostat in the cooler itself or somewhere.
Definitely isn't, it's inexcusable really for a big Air/Oil-Cooled Engine.
I'm going to make a Thermostat Unit for mine, plenty of room externally to mount one, then I can do away with my mouse-mat Cooler Cover!
CoolerCover

Back