• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

I want a California 1400, but

Fess

Just got it firing!
hi,
I'm new to Guzzi land but have been lurking a while. After 30 motorcycles and 45 years of riding, I'm ready for my first cruiser. The California seems the best bet because it seems most like a standard /sport, but with the relaxed ergos of a cruiser, I'm aware of all the reliability discussions and I'm fine with that aspect. I rode one, I liked it.
My problem is that I've only seem maybe 4 in the wild and they all look like they've been through the war. Rusted bolts, pitted metal parts, cylinder fins looking corroded. Is there some issue with the materials and finishes that make these appear to wear more quickly, or was I just unlucky enough to see some bad examples?
Thanks for any input.

Maybe you're seeing 20, 30, or maybe 40 year old Ambassadors and V7's? My 2014 California 1400 Custom doesn't have a single speck of rust, admittedly it does live in a garage when not being ridden. I love mine. Only niggles is the moaning whale syndrome, and blubbery low speed fueling. Neither bothers me enough to have done anything about them though... ;-)

Jim

Maybe you're seeing 20, 30, or maybe 40 year old Ambassadors and V7's? My 2014 California 1400 Custom doesn't have a single speck of rust, admittedly it does live in a garage when not being ridden. I love mine. Only niggles is the moaning whale syndrome, and blubbery low speed fueling. Neither bothers me enough to have done anything about them though... ;-)

Jim
No, these we latest gen bikes. But that does make me feel better. I was at the dealer today and a 14 came in for service, had 10k miles, but it just looked worn out. I had previously seen a 2 year old Custom for sale that had less than 1K miles. All the aluminum trim was pitted.
I hope I've just seen bad examples. Thanks

No, these we latest gen bikes. But that does make me feel better. I was at the dealer today and a 14 came in for service, had 10k miles, but it just looked worn out. I had previously seen a 2 year old Custom for sale that had less than 1K miles. All the aluminum trim was pitted.
I hope I've just seen bad examples. Thanks

Well, where I am, the only Guzzi's I ever see are 70's era Ambassadors, and somewhat later El Dorados. Rust can be found on any of them. ;-) I've yet to see even one of the newer big blocks though...

Jim

Fess, there must be some messed up bikes where you are on the east coast. My 1400 has 20K on it and has no rust or problems with the aluminum. I always get compliments on it. Keep looking even if you have to fly and ride.

I've had my California 1400 for two and a half years and it does live in my garage. Outside of needing a wash because of pollen at the moment, there is no rust or corrosion of any kind. It looks as good today as it did two and a half years ago.

However, I quit ridding when they start salting the roads. I don't start ridding again until we've had several rains.

I've seen quite a few bikes of all brands over the years with issues as described above and is was because of three things:
1.) The bike was not adequately protected from bad weather
2.) The bike was never regularly cleaned
3.) The bike was ridden on salted roads

These three things don't discriminate because of brand.

This isn't a Moto Guzzi issue, it's an owner issue.

So true Dave, I have 10K miles on my '13 Cali custom, it is garaged when not ridden and cleaned when it gets mucked up or wet.
You get out of it what you put into it.
The state of the bike will reflect the fastidiousness of the owner. If you look after yours, then it will maintain its showroom condition.

hi,
I'm new to Guzzi land but have been lurking a while. After 30 motorcycles and 45 years of riding, I'm ready for my first cruiser. The California seems the best bet because it seems most like a standard /sport, but with the relaxed ergos of a cruiser, I'm aware of all the reliability discussions and I'm fine with that aspect. I rode one, I liked it.
My problem is that I've only seem maybe 4 in the wild and they all look like they've been through the war. Rusted bolts, pitted metal parts, cylinder fins looking corroded. Is there some issue with the materials and finishes that make these appear to wear more quickly, or was I just unlucky enough to see some bad examples?
Thanks for any input.

I agree with "This isn't a Moto Guzzi issue, it's an owner issue". My 2014 California with 16,000 miles could pass for new with just a little detailing.

I got my Cal 1400 early in 2014. I don't have any of the problems you described. I do keep it in the garage, but I ride year round in all kinds of weather. Also take long trips with no garage available. This is my umpteenth Guzzi; no fit and finish problems since a few model years in the 1980s.

Must be a Guzzi owner thing. I've noticed over the years that Guzzi owners don't seem to be super anal about keeping their bikes pretty lol.

When I was at the dealer I lined my bike up against a late model Harley, and I must say the hardware and plating on my bike compared favorably. The chrome on the Harley looked cheap. The Harley had a better paint job, though.

I would agree with all previous comments, I am quite fastidious about cleaning the bike and tend to give it a once over with GS27 Moto Instant Wash&Wax after every ride. The only issue I have at the moment is degradation of the lacquer on the fork legs which in my opinion is a warranty case and am currently in a bun fight with MG Spain, who have put it down to "bad maintenance".

Back