• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Considering an Audace or El Dorado

Glenn Thorpe

Tuned and Synch'ed
I've have a Stelvio NTX for 3 years, It's been a great bike and has enlightened me to how great Moto Guzzi's are.

I want to go in a different direction and am thinking about selling it and getting a 1400 8V Audace (or perhaps an El Dorado). My main concern is long term reliability. I also want to know if there are any common issues that owners are seeing after a few years of experience.

My Stelvio has some quirky issues (clutch groan) but so far it has been rock solid.

I would appreciate all objective opinions on the 1400 8v platform.

Thanks,
Glenn

Don't have long term but I can say a few things about the Eldorado. It's bone simple, and there are fewer clunking ticking and clanking noises than on my V9. The drivetrain seems very smooth.

I'd say it will outlive a zombie apocalypse but (maybe) for the lean running necessary to pass Euro 3. Todd's gizmos can fix that. Also, some people report electrical gremlins. The basic platform, though, is so overbuilt and simple that will last and last I'm sure. To me it's more like a (Pre-2014) Harley than an over-engineered post-airhead BMW. Or a mid 90s small block chevy with TBI.

Single throttle body, single disc clutch, well sorted shaft drive, proven patform. Eerily smooth engine once past idle. Seems like it was designed for longevity.

So, long -term durability isn't the issue so much as short-term annoyances (maybe) to sort some things out.

Hi Glen, had my Eldo just on 2 years, 30,000kms. Zero problems just gets better every ride. Steering on the Eldo maybe a bit lighter due to its 16in wheels and I find it really comfortable with the wider bars and foot boards, but things like that are purely subjective so which ever one floats your boat, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Glenn, I think all of your questions can be answered in this section, just do some reading. Guzzis have been over-built tanks for decades, There really is no long term reliability issues outside of those found in the section on the 1400 to date. That said, the Stelvio is right up there as one of my all time favorite Guzzis.

I have an Audace and I love her. I have also had a California touring model. I prefer the Audace as she is less old manish. The California was very nice though. I had around 8000 miles on the CA. I have only about 1500 miles on the Audace so far. All I can say is it is a very nice bike to ride.

I'm glad to hear all to positive feedback on the 1400 8V bikes, thanks. I have my Stelio up for sale.

Piling on here. Last May I traded a 2014 Stelvio for a new 2016 Eldorado. Very different bikes. Both are great. I'm up to just under 10,000 miles on the Eldo with no problems that weren't cured by Dr. Todd, the Guzzi Whisperer.

Eldo 1400's comment about the "eerily smooth" 1400 engine deserves further comment. Once you get it off an idle, the 1400 engine is the smoothest, most vibration free, motorcycle engine I have ever owned. And I have owned a few different brands and types over the years. It lends a feeling that nothing serious is likely to go wrong just because it is not shaking itself to death. The motorcycle just feels solid and well built.
Garwood. IMG 20170626 165552269

"Once you get it off an idle, the 1400 engine is the smoothest, most vibration free, motorcycle engine I have ever owned. "

That's true. Now that I think about the bikes I've had, you're right about that. I've had British twins, Japanese twins, inline 4s, V-Twins, opposed twins, air cooled and water cooled balance shafted -- you name it. The Eldorado is smoother once off idle.

It's a raucus engine for sure. Pulsing with power, and with a fair amount of mechanical noises, but it's very, very smooth. One other thing: It's as close as you can get to flying a vintage aircraft. Ha, ha.

Heh, well, its certainly superior to the ‘41 Taylorcraft I flew. I’d call it more of a Porsche-powered Mooney.

I'm going with P-47: Big air-cooled power, spacious cockpit, stable but surprisingly agile. All that's missing is a turbocharger and some machine guns.

Long time listener , first time poster. Just picked up an Audace that dealer was blowing out at ridiculous pricing. Had a 07 two valve Griso and went up to get a new one. Dealer say trys the Audace and tosses the keys.

Hooked on the motor and have come to like the ergos and handling. I have Rizoma bars and risers coming to replace the broom stick drag bar set it comes with, not my thing. Sold the Griso with 54k miles and if the new Guzzi is anything like that one then they will last forever.

Long time listener , first time poster. Just picked up an Audace that dealer was blowing out at ridiculous pricing. Had a 07 two valve Griso and went up to get a new one.
Welcome aboard, and congrats on all! Hope you'll add both bikes to the Registry pages... Griso: https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/griso-registry-picture-thread-add-your-bike.1098/ -- and 1400; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/cal1400-registry-pics-thread-add-your-bike.11538/

There's a ton of power hiding in the 1400, see; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/guzzitech-gt-rx-modded-cal-14-dyno-vs-stock.13773/

Post often.

Hello. New here read a lot.
I tried a 2016 Audace a new bike zero miles.
I am very tempting and drove it for ~220 kilometers. Drained the tank.
Meaning more or less 1 liter / 10 kilometers. Not really what I expected.
In forums I read 300km /tank which is ok.
I did not push it.
Is this a first run that made it consume that much fule or?
Any idea?

Hello. New here read a lot.
I tried a 2016 Audace a new bike zero miles.
I am very tempting and drove it for ~220 kilometers. Drained the tank.
Meaning more or less 1 liter / 10 kilometers. Not really what I expected.
In forums I read 300km /tank which is ok.
I did not push it.
Is this a first run that made it consume that much fule or?
Any idea?

10L / 100 km is what I get from my SUV (on a good day) so yes I would expect better, but it depends how you ride and a new engine will be tight. I've had a 2016 Audace since new and get way better mpg than that, typically 40-45 (US)mpg or roughly 5.9L/100km) or better on the highway, but I don't tend to push it hard.

I consistently run 38-42 miles per U.S. gallon on my 2014 California Custom (same drivetrain). I'll let you do the conversion math. Note that mileage in stop and go traffic can be pretty abysmal.

10L / 100 km is what I get from my SUV (on a good day) so yes I would expect better, but it depends how you ride and a new engine will be tight. I've had a 2016 Audace since new and get way better mpg than that, typically 40-45 (US)mpg or roughly 5.9L/100km) or better on the highway, but I don't tend to push it hard.
Hi thanks.
This is what I expected.
Thanks, it was set to turismo mode.
I Did ~60 km on 110-120 km/h
The rest 160 km on average 70-90 km/h.
Very tempted to get one but the low km done made me think twice.
I totally love the bike as such.. So beautiful.

Back