• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 Classic - Guinea pig in my clutch

SamBarltrop

Just got it firing!
Hey guys, I've got a funny noise coming from my V7 Classic clutch.

Every now and then, when Ive got the bike in gear with the clutch disengaged (lever pulled), it makes a funny squeaky sound akin to a guinea pig (my best description). If I engage the clutch or put the bike in neutral and let the lever out, the noise goes away. It also doesn't do it all of the time, but it seems to be getting more frequent.

I'm wondering if this is something to worry about or just me being paranoid, so far my best guess is the "throwout bearing" is on its way out but I'm no mechanic so I don't really know what that means. I can't feel anything wrong with the function of the clucth/bike (yet) other than this ssound

Any advice from fellow guzzi owners would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Sam B.

Well, I think you guessed right. Starts as a squeak. Easy enough to get to. Pull off back wheel, look on back of trans ,clutch lever. Take off cable & lever, comes strait back w/magnet and out.
You may have to pull swingarm, can't remember.

I've run across this since the 750 Brevas. I replaced the throw out bearings and guess what, noise didn't go away. This was covered some time ago on the forum and no one actually found what was making the noise. It might be going out, it might not. You can always take a look and see.

My bet is push rod related to where it is boring itself into the push plate at the clutch. How many miles on it?

Shouldn't the push rod spin the throw out bearing? When I checked the 740 Brevas the rods looked fine.

Shouldn't the push rod spin the throw out bearing? When I checked the 740 Brevas the rods looked fine.
Yes, but the push plate at the clutch I've seen gets deformed/bored into - as it's metal to metal. Only thing I can think of that I've seen outside of clutch/friction plates themselves.
I guess he just needs to pull it apart to inspect things. I ask mileage because perhaps it's time to replace the clutch before something fails.

Hi, the bike has just passed 10k miles. it's been well looked after although I'm not sure how relevant that is in this case.

Yes, but the push plate at the clutch I've seen gets deformed/bored into - as it's metal to metal. Only thing I can think of that I've seen outside of clutch/friction plates themselves.
I guess he just needs to pull it apart to inspect things. I ask mileage because perhaps it's time to replace the clutch before something fails.

Strange this only seems to happen to the small blocks. A similar system has been used since 1967 on the big block bikes and I've not seen that on any big block.

just a guess here but I've always been a fan of too much freeplay at the lever. it seems every test bike and 90% of new bikes come with none. I also don't pull the lever all the way in for shifting except at a light. especially on new small blocks. Early damage?

Hi, the bike has just passed 10k miles. it's been well looked after although I'm not sure how relevant that is in this case.

Did you ever resolve the issue? Or did you just keep riding it? My bike is making a faint squeak noise when the clutch lever is pulled in as well. Been searching the forums for any more info...

Thanks!

Did you ever resolve the issue? Or did you just keep riding it? My bike is making a faint squeak noise when the clutch lever is pulled in as well. Been searching the forums for any more info...
Thanks!
The noise noted is a very high-pitch constant squeal. Usually shutting the bike off and restart rectifies the problem.
Dallas, your issue is either dry linkage/arm, or a throw-out bearing on it's way south from a (likely) improperly adjusted clutch. Happy to have a look at it for you at my shop (Service link above). Drop off in Malibu is an easy option since you are in L.A.

The noise noted is a very high-pitch constant squeal. Usually shutting the bike off and restart rectifies the problem.
Dallas, your issue is either dry linkage/arm, or a throw-out bearing on it's way south from a (likely) improperly adjusted clutch. Happy to have a look at it for you at my shop (Service link above). Drop off in Malibu is an easy option since you are in L.A.

Thanks Todd!

Been meaning to get it to your shop to do the remap at some point, besides this recent intermittent high pitched sound that I heard the other day, the bike has been great. I adjusted the clutch today to give it a little more free play and I didn't hear the sound again after a short ride. I'm planning to take it out for a long ride when I get a chance to see if the sound persists. Would the outside temp be a factor? When I heard the sound I'd got back from about a 150 mile ride and it was pretty hot out (Mid 90's). The sound was very faint but I could definitely hear it as the clutch was pulled in, when I let go it went away...

Thanks again for your help!

Hi,
I plan to replace the throw out bearing once riding season is over here in the UK.
I've found I can keep this issue to a minimum by just using neutral when I can rather than almost always just keeping the bike in gear with the clutch pulled in while at a stop. Doing this makes the sound very occasional and I could ride for a good hour or two without it happening.

Cheers.
Sam B.

Old thread iIknow,but I finally got around to changing the throwout bearing and push rod. First test ride today. So far the sound has not happened again. I compared the new and old pushrod and the old one had no signs of damage, but I put the new one in anyway. I will check in again when I've put some more miles on the bike.

Back