• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Indian Scout vs V9 Bobber

BlueCutlass

Just got it firing!
Hey guys, I currently ride a 2002 California and I've narrowed my next motorcycle down to a V9 Bobber or a Scout. I'm in Omaha and we've lost our Guzzi dealer a couple years ago so test riding a V9 is unlikely. I did sit on one when in Minneapolis last week and liked how it felt. I'm hoping to test ride the Scout as soon as the snow melts. I can get a bobber delivered for cheaper than a Scout but I plan on this being my only bike for at least the next 10 years so price isn't the primary concern. I was wondering if the crowd here had an opinion on these two bikes. -Scotty

I owned a '17 V9 bobber for about two months. It was a really cool bike and was really fun most of the time. However, on the highways going faster than 65 wasn't very fun for me. I felt myself gripping the bars tight due to a slight uneasy feeling with the aerodynamics. Also, the bike was very harsh on any potholes or bumps (I-95 in CT can be brutal). I ended up having the opportunity to ride a V7 for the day and my opinion, it was a way more mature bike in design and ride. Felt way more stable above 65 than the V9. I ended up trading my V9 in for a V7. That being said, if you're not planning on eating thousands of miles on the highway, the V9 is a great bike on back roads and through town. I got stopped by at least 1 person every 15 minutes asking about it. The sitting position is very comfortable as well, and the engine size is way more than enough

The V9 is quite beautiful, though with a couple of mods (see attached)

Attachments

• IMG_20180827_171923.jpg
    IMG_20180827_171923.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20180827_171750.jpg
    IMG_20180827_171750.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I love Guzzis and my V7iii, but the Scout is a real hoot and the V9, in comparison, not so much. The Scout can be ridden softly, or wound up to 8000RPM and tipped into the curves in a surprising way for the style. I rode it in Switzerland and it will do 80+mph all day long without breaking a sweat.

I've got a '19 Scout and V7 III Special. Love them both for what they are. the ergo's on the v7 Special were much more comfy for them then the V9. The V7 was purchased in Connecticut and after the 1st service I rode it home to Florida with Dart Screen and Panniers installed. It make an excellent touring bike for me. Love that thing!!

Before purchasing the Scout I test road the bobber, really like the look. The ergo's killed me and the bobbed rear fender and chopped front fender make It nor so good on damp or rainy days. The Scout has a more finished elegant look and was much more kind to these old bones. The addition of floor boards and a Dart screen made a far more comfy ride. The engine is well fueled, with loads of low end torque and is a hoot to ride. The girl friend bought a Scout 60. After riding her bike I found it to be as much fun, and as fast as the Scout for the riding we do together. I'm thinking maybe I should have bought a Scout 60 myself and saved a fender $$$.

For long days in the saddle and touring the V7 is my bike of choice. Did I tell ya I love that thing.

Hope this helps. If ya got more questions feel free to send me a pm.

Paul

Hey guys, I currently ride a 2002 California and I've narrowed my next motorcycle down to a V9 Bobber or a Scout.
Hi Scotty, welcome to the GT Forum. I hope you’ll post your Cal info on the Registry here; https://guzzitech.com/forums/threads/bb-tonti-registry-and-pic-thread.12601/

It’s a leap to step away from the big block Tonti, but I’m starting to wrap my head around the smaller bike platforms, especially those who want a new Guzzi.

So speaking on ergos alone, the V9 is my least favorite small block, but that can be fixed with new bars and lower footpeg rails. Suspension is OK, but can be much improved. The Scout series is compact-tiny if that works for you, and it also suffers from the same issues. I personally (well mostly my back) can’t handle sitting on my tail bone with my feet forward riding position, and not much to do with the quite bad rear shock design and travel issues... but the motor is exceptionally good for it’s tiny size. If you sway from Guzzi for this one, my bet is you’ll be back. Now the FTR-1200 on the other hand. ;)

Thanks for the responses guys! I'm leaning toward the scout at this point. I should be able to get a test ride on one. I'm trying to go into it with a open mind and get a feel if I really like it or if just want to like it. I'm not a big guy (5'10, 160ish) so I'm hoping the scout will fit me. I'm not a forward control fan, but there is a kit to move the pegs from forward control to mid control.

My California Special has a bit of cosmetic work that needs done to it before it's ready for sale. I'm actually hoping to take my time on that and then move it to the back of the garage under a bike cover and hope my wife doesn't notice that I haven't actually sold it. :) Then if I don't love the new bike, I can always go back to my old California.

Thanks for the responses guys! I'm leaning toward the scout at this point. I should be able to get a test ride on one. I'm trying to go into it with a open mind and get a feel if I really like it or if just want to like it. I'm not a big guy (5'10, 160ish) so I'm hoping the scout will fit me. I'm not a forward control fan, but there is a kit to move the pegs from forward control to mid control.

My California Special has a bit of cosmetic work that needs done to it before it's ready for sale. I'm actually hoping to take my time on that and then move it to the back of the garage under a bike cover and hope my wife doesn't notice that I haven't actually sold it. :) Then if I don't love the new bike, I can always go back to my old California.

Keep it! Also, GBR.

...…

The Scout series is compact-tiny if that works for you, and it also suffers from the same issues. I personally (well mostly my back) can’t handle sitting on my tail bone with my feet forward riding position, and not much to do with the quite bad rear shock design and travel issues... but the motor is exceptionally good for it’s tiny size. If you sway from Guzzi for this one, my bet is you’ll be back. Now the FTR-1200 on the other hand. ;)

Gotta agree with ya. The compactness keeps the mass centralized and the wheelbase relatively short for a cruiser, and steering geometry is definitely not cruiser like. Handling is excellent for a cruiser. Surprised the hell out of me on the first ride.

The floor boards allow the rider to pull his feet back a bit and to sit in a more upright position. That took a lot of the pressure off my tail bone and brought me a bit closer to the handlebars. Being closer to the bars is a good thing, a very good thing. They pull back so far they sweep a large arc during a turn. If ya got short arms it could be a problem when making sharp turns.\
The sweet spot is the motor and the handling. I find the OEM suspension to be fine for the kind of bike it is and the great roads here in Florida. I believe 2018, the Scout front forks got cartridges and the shock spring was improved. The EOM suspension on the Scout is head and shoulders better then the OEM was on my V7 Special. Guzzi should be ashamed of themselves for putting that POS on an otherwise really nice bike. Same goes for the plastic/metal fuel filter. Jeeezzzz……..

My V7 Special..... did I tell ya I luv that thing. :inlove:

Paul

Back