• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Flat Tire= Blue Pipes?

Redcad

Just got it firing!
First off, cheers to Moto Guzzi for it's excellent,traction control system; it alerted me to a flat tire. (It was on the least invasive mode)
Rolling along at over 70 MPH it started cutting out as if I had bad fuel (and I just filled up) Traction control blinking. Pulled over and realized the engine ran fine. Rolled very slowly to find a wide a spot on the shoulder and realized I had a rear flat that was losing air fast.

While waiting for the tow, I noticed my head pipes had turned blue and a smudge mark on one muffler attachment point. My guess is the fuel management was shutting down flow and it ran lean.
Ever happen to you? It is a just bought 2017 Roamer V9 with 1400 miles.

Nope, the pipes would've turned that color regardless. At least they did on my 2013 Racer and I believe most others would concur. Polishing them is a waste of time. Just enjoy the colors of a broken in machine or get them jet coated. Glad to hear your flat didn't result in an accident.

It is a just bought 2017 Roamer V9 with 1400 miles.
Congrats and welcome to the GT Forum & Guzzi Famiglia. Hope you'll add your info to the Registry here on this site; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/v9-registry-picture-thread-add-your-bike.16400/

Traction Control (TC) is timing related, not fuel, but that is alarming on the exhaust. So you are saying obviously that they didn't look like that prior to the flat then? The V7 III/V9 pipes are double wall, so they can be polished out. Plenty of products out there.

If you want the bike to run as well as it can; https://gtmotocycles.com/products/gt-motocycles-v7-v9-ecu-re-flash-tool

Congrats and welcome to the GT Forum & Guzzi Famiglia. Hope you'll add your info to the Registry here on this site; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/v9-registry-picture-thread-add-your-bike.16400/

Traction Control (TC) is timing related, not fuel, but that is alarming on the exhaust. So you are saying obviously that they didn't look like that prior to the flat then? The V7 III/V9 pipes are double wall, so they can be polished out. Plenty of products out there.

If you want the bike to run as well as it can; https://gtmotocycles.com/products/gt-motocycles-v7-v9-ecu-re-flash-tool

I have had single wall Triumphs and I embrace the "blues" but this happened while I watched! Going to register right now; at first I was afraid to put my VIN down.
Thanks you!

It does not surprise me that the pipes blued like that. Between them being single wall and the flat tire causing the traction control to mess with the timing things like that can happen I reckon.
Luckily, as Todd mentioned, the blue is something you can polish out if it bothers you. I actually like the color effect.

I have had single wall Triumphs and I embrace the "blues" but this happened while I watched! Going to register right now; at first I was afraid to put my VIN down.
Thanks you!
Welcome, and the pipes are double walled, so unless they are under extreme heat, they shouldn't blue. Fix the fueling with the GTM Flash, and far less of a chance. VIN# posting is no different then someone grabbing off the bike when parked. No one get any usable info from it.

Mate that is crazy how hot that must be running.
My bike is a v7II with around 16,500ks on it and my pipes only have a little bit of blueing.
Like Todd said get the bike remapped and I would do it sooner
Than later. I had my bike remapped before I even put 200ks on it.

It does not surprise me that the pipes blued like that. Between them being single wall and the flat tire causing the traction control to mess with the timing things like that can happen I reckon.
Luckily, as Todd mentioned, the blue is something you can polish out if it bothers you. I actually like the color effect.

Exactly what I thought! Bike runs fine for me; but after pulling over and literally watching the pipes turn blue freaked me out. I must have fought it too long thinking it was bad fuel. I love the gold/blue look but I am still going to attempt to remove it for now

Mate that is crazy how hot that must be running.
My bike is a v7II with around 16,500ks on it and my pipes only have a little bit of blueing.
Like Todd said get the bike remapped and I would do it sooner
Than later. I had my bike remapped before I even put 200ks on it.
1400 miles on it with no blue. Traction control cut in for flat tire caused instant blue!

Nope, the pipes would've turned that color regardless. At least they did on my 2013 Racer and I believe most others would concur. Polishing them is a waste of time. Just enjoy the colors of a broken in machine or get them jet coated. Glad to hear your flat didn't result in an accident.
So stable I did not know I had a flat! Moto Guzzi is smarter than me!

"California Custom Purple Metal Polish" will do the job - with plenty of elbow grease. As others have said, the oem double walled headers shouldn't have blued at all (or at least very little). I only did about 2,000Km with mine and they show no discolouration at all. I then installed single walled SS headers from Todd.

Not-withstanding any of that, the fueling needs to be set correctly. ALL V7iii models arrive ridiculously lean from the factory. Find a way to test ride a V7iii with the fueling set up properly and you'll understand right away.

If the traction control cuts the spark and does not cut the fuel you will have excess fuel that will burn in the pipes and get them hotter than usual, causing them to "blue".
You do not need a new map for this one time event.

Dan

Back