• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 III - brutal pinging during hot weather

If no load, (just an easy cruise on the flat) then 2500 may be OK. However, low RPM increases stress on the crank, main bearings, and connecting rod big ends just as high RPM may cause addition piston and cylinder wear. Low RPM with load is not a good situation.

Thanks, that makes sense. I’m very light on the throttle, and always kick it down a gear or two if I need to climb a hill or pass someone.

I think that majority of riders can feel what bike likes and what not... Load in low RPM is the worst
I had a similar sound on my V7III before the engine failed. Other than a broken timing chain, I'm not sure what internal damage was done. They just replaced the entire engine. I'm not sure the noise was pinging. It sounded mechanical to me.

Mine is definitely pinging/detonations... but still unclear what is the root cause. My warranty claim is on the go but without any reaction yet :-(
I had to cancel my holiday trip to Italy but still hope I will run some days before winter.

no different than a boat engine or any other one. there is an RPM range that it is designed to run in. on a II 4000-6000 and a III 3500-6000

Interesting. How would an owner come by that information, I don’t think I saw it in the poorly translated owners manual?

Ok, I can hear it clearly. Try the heatshield screws as suggested above, that would fit the sound I hear. Or maybe the O2 sensors. While you are at it, check the condition of the exhast pipes, especially the cross pipe. As Todd pointed out, it is a poor design that is likely to fail over time. Then check your shifter linkages. Then the headlight ring. If still nothing, start going through the various bolts and screws. It is a Guzzi, so stuff does rattle loose over time.

Have you tried to replicate the sound with the bike being parked? Maybe that can help you pinpoint the location.

It doesn't sound like valves rattling to me, but maybe? While were are at the cylinder heads, what fuel are you running?

It's pinging! Comes clearly at 17 seconds.

Your fix is in Todd's shop right now.

Last edited:
Cannot replicate the sound when stationary. Use 95 octane fuel. Checked heatshields, exhaust pipes, intake. Everything tight.

Today commuting to work it was OK but slowly started at the end of the 30 min trip.

From the Piranha suggestion, searched for pinging and guzzi v7 III and found the exact symptoms.

Just called the dealer, they dont know about any cases. Sent them the sound recordings...

Im I dammaging the combustion chambers?

Edit: bike has 4 months and 3300 km

If it's pinging is your 95 octane the best you can get there. what outside temperature is it starting in at? once into second gear when hot keep it at 4000 + so it runs freer. You might try an octane booster in 85+ temperatures.
I haven't had the issue with the V7 or V7III but sure did on the V85 at 90F last week.

I does sound more like a part/piece rattling.
Pretty hard to try and locate while your moving...

Do you have a small rubber mallet, dead blow hammer ?
Try gently tapping your wayback from front to rear, maybe a fender mount loose, some shield ?

Yeah, thats what I thought first, but the sound is exactly like pinging/knocking as it seems... I think will try 98ron fuel before leaving it at the dealer.

Also, cannot replicate the sympton in neutral on a stand and accelerating.

Back