• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7III touring/knobby/ scrambler tires?!

StevieChoice

Just got it firing!
Hey, wondering what other riders have installed on there V7. Having issues finding a set because of the 18" front. Interested in mt60's but no luck yet.
Considering the tkc 70 as well.
Also, how would a touring tire like the tkc 70 affect performance?!
Thanks for your time!

Tire threads are pretty worthless. Guzzi offers the Stornello tires, and I’ve put on Avon AV54 TrailRider Dual Sport Tires for a customer... he liked them. You’ll have to run a rear profile reverse direction for the front in a 110/80-18.

Todd's right about the value of tire threads. :clap:

But they are kinda fun.

No clue about the differences between V7 II's and III's, but I have a Stornello.

Only because I was going to do a 1500-mile RT with portions two-up, I R&R'd the OEM tires with Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2's after only 3K miles, with little wear shown.

Before you read the following, remember Todd's caveat: "Tire threads are pretty worthless." :rofl:

My subjective, anecdotal take is that the OEM's are "better" than the highly touted Pirellis.

Why? Reread Todd's words. :giggle:

I have to say that I was very surprised by the fine road manners of the OEM knobbies. I had expected decent off-pavement and occasional off-road -- when I got lost or in over my head :think: -- but did not expect them to be so "sticky" on wet and dry pavement when ridden beyond my competence level.

Seriously, several times I have found myself -- code for scream in my helmet time :eek: -- entering curves way too hot and just did the right thing of keeping my "faith" in the doctrine. So, I just leaned it over rather than standing it up and praying no one was coming. Once, I was sure I was going to low side, but nope, there I was, just fine (besides catastrophic bladder failure! ;)).

I have yet to feel that sort of confidence in the Pirellis on back roads in dry or wet conditions. In fairness, I have only had one sphincter-fusing event on the Stornello with them, but that did not involve any real tire-performance issues.

The Pirellis may wear well and may be just fine, but when they cord, I will read some reviews of the latest, but may just put the OEM's back on 'til they wear out.

I am also open to revising my opinion as I get some more mileage on them (I am at 2K now).

As I am bringing a V7 III in to my Moto Grappa later this month, the Stornello will become more of a gravel/dirt road mount, so I'll be looking for the best for that with little need to compromise for road riding beyond "getting there."

["Tire threads are pretty worthless."]

Bill

A couple of years ago after buying a V7II I also was trying to find a thread on some knobby tires. I couldn't find anything that anyone had used that worked. After a lot of searching online I decided to try something. I ordered a Heidenau enduro K60 tires. I run a 110/80-18 on the front. When buying it I only saw it advertised as a rear tire. I was going to gamble running it backwards for a front tire. After getting the tire it gives you a direction arrow to run it on the front. It has an arrow pointing to run it one way for a front tire and the oppisite way for a rear tire. It has worked awesome. They handle great on the pavement and I also took it 100+ miles off road to a remote area of the grand canyon. The rear tires is a Heidenau enduro 130/80 - 17. I think I purchased my tires from Revzilla or Rocky Mountain ATV. But appears they are out of stock on the front tire. Quick search found them on ebay. On Ebay it even lists that tire as front/rear. Guzzi

ebay.com/p/Heidenau-K60-Enduro-Front-rear-110-80-18-Motorcycle-Tire/1225166492

ebay.com/itm/130-80-17-Heidenau-K60-
Scout-Dual-Sport-Rear-Tire/332652695062

Todd's right about the value of tire threads. :clap:

But they are kinda fun.

No clue about the differences between V7 II's and III's, but I have a Stornello.

Only because I was going to do a 1500-mile RT with portions two-up, I R&R'd the OEM tires with Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2's after only 3K miles, with little wear shown.

Before you read the following, remember Todd's caveat: "Tire threads are pretty worthless." :rofl:

My subjective, anecdotal take is that the OEM's are "better" than the highly touted Pirellis.

Why? Reread Todd's words. :giggle:

I have to say that I was very surprised by the fine road manners of the OEM knobbies. I had expected decent off-pavement and occasional off-road -- when I got lost or in over my head :think: -- but did not expect them to be so "sticky" on wet and dry pavement when ridden beyond my competence level.

Seriously, several times I have found myself -- code for scream in my helmet time :eek: -- entering curves way too hot and just did the right thing of keeping my "faith" in the doctrine. So, I just leaned it over rather than standing it up and praying no one was coming. Once, I was sure I was going to low side, but nope, there I was, just fine (besides catastrophic bladder failure! ;)).

I have yet to feel that sort of confidence in the Pirellis on back roads in dry or wet conditions. In fairness, I have only had one sphincter-fusing event on the Stornello with them, but that did not involve any real tire-performance issues.

The Pirellis may wear well and may be just fine, but when they cord, I will read some reviews of the latest, but may just put the OEM's back on 'til they wear out.

I am also open to revising my opinion as I get some more mileage on them (I am at 2K now).

As I am bringing a V7 III in to my Moto Grappa later this month, the Stornello will become more of a gravel/dirt road mount, so I'll be looking for the best for that with little need to compromise for road riding beyond "getting there."

["Tire threads are pretty worthless."]

Bill
Thanks!! Leaning towards Tkc 70's. Only tires I can find that meet sizing requirements and I like the look of( yes...looks matter...tee hee) When you say oem, are you referring to the stock Stornello tires?
Thanks for the humour and wisdom:)

A couple of years ago after buying a V7II I also was trying to find a thread on some knobby tires. I couldn't find anything that anyone had used that worked. After a lot of searching online I decided to try something. I ordered a Heidenau enduro K60 tires. I run a 110/80-18 on the front. When buying it I only saw it advertised as a rear tire. I was going to gamble running it backwards for a front tire. After getting the tire it gives you a direction arrow to run it on the front. It has an arrow pointing to run it one way for a front tire and the oppisite way for a rear tire. It has worked awesome. They handle great on the pavement and I also took it 100+ miles off road to a remote area of the grand canyon. The rear tires is a Heidenau enduro 130/80 - 17. I think I purchased my tires from Revzilla or Rocky Mountain ATV. But appears they are out of stock on the front tire. Quick search found them on ebay. On Ebay it even lists that tire as front/rear. View attachment 16680

https://www.ebay.com/p/Heidenau-K60-Enduro-Front-rear-110-80-18-Motorcycle-Tire/1225166492

https://www.ebay.com/itm/130-80-17-...m4d73a54e16:g:oYEAAOSwi1pbwWzZ&frcectupt=true
Thanks dude. Is the amber headlight legal where you live? So pretty!! I think north of the border I'll get a ticket for that. Very nice stone sir:)

Thanks!! Leaning towards Tkc 70's. Only tires I can find that meet sizing requirements and I like the look of( yes...looks matter...tee hee) When you say oem, are you referring to the stock Stornello tires?
Thanks for the humour and wisdom:)

Yes, re OEM on Stornello. I have not changed my mind about those (or the Pirellis) since I posted that.

All of that said, and with due regard for the "worthless" aspects of anecdata and possibly proving I am a bit addled, after 2K+ miles on the V7 III I bought from my brother, I don't find those OEM tires -- Pirelli Demons -- to be the lousy tires many folks say. I have now ridden 'em in all sorts of wet and dry conditions, in as spirited fashion as my age and cowardice permitted, and think they are quite fine, even confidence inspiring.

It is on a trailer "as we speak" -- yes, shameful, but it's a dual-purpose trip -- and I'll put some more miles on it in north Georgia and N.C. in next few days.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW thumb 9516

Best,

Bill

I have the pirelli mt60 mounted. They are great. Loads of grip.

I really misuse them.. loads of highway miles. For example holiday in southern Europe 3000km autoroute.. but they are great both on the highway as on the mountain and gravel roads :)

I expected them to become square pretty fast. But they are still fine(ish) after almost 10.000 km.

after 2K+ miles on the V7 III I bought from my brother, I don't find those OEM tires -- Pirelli Demons -- to be the lousy tires many folks say. I have now ridden 'em in all sorts of wet and dry conditions, in as spirited fashion as my age and cowardice permitted, and think they are quite fine, even confidence inspiring.

that's a true statement, until you try the Conti's.

I really misuse them.. loads of highway miles. For example holiday in southern Europe 3000km autoroute.. but they are great both on the highway as on the mountain and gravel roads :)

I expected them to become square pretty fast. But they are still fine(ish) after almost 10.000 km.
Nice:) I can only find mt60 rear and mt60rs front. My ocd wants a matching set:(

Tire threads are pretty worthless. Guzzi offers the Stornello tires, and I’ve put on Avon AV54 TrailRider Dual Sport Tires for a customer... he liked them. You’ll have to run a rear profile reverse direction for the front in a 110/80-18.
I ran this TrailRider combo on my V7II Stone. The front tire looked like a tractor tire, but it worked just fine. At 10k miles on the front tire it still have another 10k miles of tread left, but---I discovered that the rubber between the lugs was cracking, and was so thin that I could see the cord patterns.
P1000759-XL.jpg

Plus there was lots more cracking. I replaced them right away.
Dan

Thanks for the posts Erik, Stevie, Timax. I didn't think I could run radial front with bias rear, but given that is standard on the rough, I guess it's ok.

Last edited:
Back