• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Getting the "SERVICE URGENT" error code

By the way, I was definitely impressed with Todd's custom GTM bikes and the quality of his work; simply impeccable. It's nice to know I have a competent shop instead of relying on the few and constantly closing dealers.
You're a lucky dog - wish I could ride over to Todd's shop. I can't complain though - he supports me remotely whenever necessary (fueling package), and his products are top-shelf (h-pipe, etc.). We're lucky to have him.

Those jeeps are cleverer than I thought. How would they know that they needed oil, but there was enough to turn the oil warning light off?
There is no oil level warning light. Apparently jeeps are towed in all over the country to get 2quarts of oil added. Right after they die right in the middle of the road with no oil light and no codes cause it makes more sense To SOMEBODY.

Let me know what the dealer says is causing it.

I read the fault code (P0155) and verified that the TGPS reading for the C-D track was out of range. The service manual says that means the TPS is bad.

Very curious to hear about this. My guzzi has had the p0155 code of an on now for about 2 years. Only once it had the service message on while riding...usually its just when I turn the key. Dealer closed so closes shop to Indianapolis is Cincinnati...planning to take it there eventually.

Joe

OK, here's the summary for my Brand-new (leftover 2016) Eldorado 1400 purchased 28 May 2019

June 07, 2019 - (850 miles) flashing red triangle and "URGENT SERVICE" message on instrument cluster and bike is in limp mode

June 08, 2019 - trailered bike to dealer and home. I tell them that it's the TPS sensor. They said that it's not "throwing a code". They replaced the oil sending unit (while I waited) and changed the oil and sent me on my way. Got home and let out one quart of oil from the overfilled crankcase and then rode all around and then the light and message came back again. Still riding bike and mostly able to clear the warning triangle by selective cycling of the ignition. The issue is semi-consistent.

June 26, 2019 - returned bike to dealer, as the error is consistent now. I ask them to replace the TPS sensor.

July 31, 2019 - They pulled, inspected, cleaned and re-connected all of the electrical connections. Twice. I asked them if they replaced the TPS sensor. "No". Get bike back from dealer and ride to the 800 mile round-trip Wisconsin rally. All is well until I get home and then the error is back.

Throughout all of this, there is some amount of discussion about the Moto Guzzi diagnostic software (PADS). I offer to bring my laptop and cables and they politely decline. I get that. Customers are typically NOT trained mechanics. It turns out they either had the wrong software or no software because when they did get the PADS correctly installed, then the bike was throwing the 0155 code (TPS sensor)

August 06, 2019 - Take bike back to dealer. They perform front brake recall and attempt to diagnose the existing error. I ask if they could PLEASE replace the TPS sensor.

September 25, 2019 - Pick up bike from dealer. They replaced the TPS (demand) sensor. Finally. Have ridden the bike every day since the 25th of September and it is behaving itself.

OK, here's the summary for my Brand-new (leftover 2016) Eldorado 1400 purchased 28 May 2019

June 07, 2019 - (850 miles) flashing red triangle and "URGENT SERVICE" message on instrument cluster and bike is in limp mode

June 08, 2019 - trailered bike to dealer and home. I tell them that it's the TPS sensor. They said that it's not "throwing a code". They replaced the oil sending unit (while I waited) and changed the oil and sent me on my way. Got home and let out one quart of oil from the overfilled crankcase and then rode all around and then the light and message came back again. Still riding bike and mostly able to clear the warning triangle by selective cycling of the ignition. The issue is semi-consistent.

June 26, 2019 - returned bike to dealer, as the error is consistent now. I ask them to replace the TPS sensor.

July 31, 2019 - They pulled, inspected, cleaned and re-connected all of the electrical connections. Twice. I asked them if they replaced the TPS sensor. "No". Get bike back from dealer and ride to the 800 mile round-trip Wisconsin rally. All is well until I get home and then the error is back.

Throughout all of this, there is some amount of discussion about the Moto Guzzi diagnostic software (PADS). I offer to bring my laptop and cables and they politely decline. I get that. Customers are typically NOT trained mechanics. It turns out they either had the wrong software or no software because when they did get the PADS correctly installed, then the bike was throwing the 0155 code (TPS sensor)

August 06, 2019 - Take bike back to dealer. They perform front brake recall and attempt to diagnose the existing error. I ask if they could PLEASE replace the TPS sensor.

September 25, 2019 - Pick up bike from dealer. They replaced the TPS (demand) sensor. Finally. Have ridden the bike every day since the 25th of September and it is behaving itself.

Yep...wish I had pushed my dealer on that during the warranty period....unfortunately the dealer closed and warranty ran out while I dealt with the issue. now its gonna be out of pocket :banghead:

Since I picked up my bike from Todd's shop, I've put on 1,600+ miles without an issue. This included a trip to Napa Valley. Todd replaced the sensor, cleaned the throttle body, and remedied the front end issue with new rotors and pads. I must say the bike acted like new and reminded me why I selected the California in the first place. So fortunate to have Todd's shop nearby!

Since I picked up my bike from Todd's shop, I've put on 1,600+ miles without an issue. This included a trip to Napa Valley. Todd replaced the sensor, cleaned the throttle body, and remedied the front end issue with new rotors and pads. I must say the bike acted like new and reminded me why I selected the California in the first place. So fortunate to have Todd's shop nearby!

What was the front-end issue ?

What was the front-end issue ?
The bike had a serious pulsating issue with the front brakes. I had taken it to 2 franchised dealers while it was under warranty but the front brakes were never quite right. Just plain annoying when you're coming to a stop.

The bike had a serious pulsating issue with the front brakes. I had taken it to 2 franchised dealers while it was under warranty but the front brakes were never quite right. Just plain annoying when you're coming to a stop.

My 2014 Cali Custom and this 2016 Eldorado both do that. I had a Cali tour in here the other day and it was also like that. And a 2008 California Vintage.

Here's what I did, and it worked.

1. Get a pencil or other such instrument and stick it into the individual "buttons" on the brake rotors and then lightly spray brake cleaner while rotating the buttons. Be sure to cover everything else that shouldn't get sprayed. This cleans any gunk out of there that may be causing them to not fully "float"

2. Use 220 grit sandpaper to sand both sides of each rotor - but ONLY in the area of the brake pad engagement. It seems that the brake pads leave little uneven deposits. I also remove the brake pads and run them back and forth on some 220 grit paper, on a flat surface.

Having owned many, many different brands of motorcycles - It's interesting (to me) that I see this issue only on Moto Guzzi motorcycles.
tango_face_sad.png
tango_face_sad.png
tango_face_sad.png

OK, so this issue started at 850 miles and the bike has approx 3,600 miles on it now - and no further issues with the "URGENT SERVICE" message and warning triangle since they replaced the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) AKA Demand Sensor.

It's running well, and certainly fun to ride.

But, it's November and so it got detailed and winterized and parked next to his little friend, the Yamaha Roadliner.

49009710846_c54f419521_b.jpg

OK, so this issue started at 850 miles and the bike has approx 3,600 miles on it now - and no further issues with the "URGENT SERVICE" message and warning triangle since they replaced the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) AKA Demand Sensor.

It's running well, and certainly fun to ride.

But, it's November and so it got detailed and winterized and parked next to his little friend, the Yamaha Roadliner.

49009710846_c54f419521_b.jpg
Awesome looking bike! good to hear your problem seems to be solved. I replaced my TPS last summer and so far so good.

By the way, we lived in St Louis city back in the 90's in the Shaw neighborhood near Tower Grove Park. It was a great time but after all the drive by shootings and multiple other issues we had to move away :(

Awesome looking bike! good to hear your problem seems to be solved. I replaced my TPS last summer and so far so good.

By the way, we lived in St Louis city back in the 90's in the Shaw neighborhood near Tower Grove Park. It was a great time but after all the drive by shootings and multiple other issues we had to move away :(

Thanks, Glenn.

I have to admit that I rode that bike both Saturday and Sunday and managed to waste three tanks of fuel. We had sunshine and 60's here and it was a great ride.

We are actually west of St. Louis about half an hour. But, we say "St. Louis" because nobody knows the location of Villa Ridge.
:)

Just a little update on my throttle position sensor (demand sensor) replacement,
it's January, but Missouri weather is a bit weird and "warm" days come and go.

We've run another half a dozen tanks of fuel thru the Eldo and it's behaving itself. This bike is a joy to ride.

Owners who replaced the sensor, which sensor was it out of these two?
af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=18058&sku=6389915&description=OEM+Aprilia+Crank+Position+Sensor+-+6389915
or
af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=13455&sku=B044414&description=OEM+Aprilia+Demand+Sensor+-+B044414+(ex+872664)

af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=18058&sku=6389915&description=OEM+Aprilia+Crank+Position+Sensor+-+6389915
or
af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=13455&sku=B044414&description=OEM+Aprilia+Demand+Sensor+-+B044414+(ex+872664)

The $400+ demand sensor

or

I had the fault code P0155 and replaced the demand sensor with: OEM Aprilia Demand Sensor - B044414 (ex 872664) (B044414)

I had the fault code P0155 and replaced the demand sensor with: OEM Aprilia Demand Sensor - B044414 (ex 872664) (B044414)
Thanks everyone for your answers. I think I'll have to replace that sensor too, unfortunately. It shows up if I park the motorcycle with the handlebars/front wheel not positioned all the way to the left (positioned so that the handlebar lock would work,) or during the ride if I hit a bump on the road that shakes the motorcycle sufficiently.

Did you replace the part on your own or did you go to a mechanic?

Thanks everyone for your answers. I think I'll have to replace that sensor too, unfortunately. It shows up if I park the motorcycle with the handlebars/front wheel not positioned all the way to the left (positioned so that the handlebar lock would work,) or during the ride if I hit a bump on the road that shakes the motorcycle sufficiently.

I have a very similar situation as what you are experiencing. Funny enough I've lived with it for a couple years. I'm giving up and taking to a shop in a few weeks to fix for good. I do all my own wrenching on my old bikes...but this one I'm gonna have a shop do it....I'm guessing most have the Demand Sensor replaced in a reputable shop.

I bought a new-old-stock B044414 TPS from eBay and replaced it myself. It wasn't that difficult, I was very careful to not damage any cables and took lot's of photos during removal which made it much easier to re-install. The most difficult part was removing and re-installing the two throttle cables to the TPS. The whole job took a couple hours. Afterwards you need to do Handle Learning then Throttle Learning (in that order). You will need the cables and Guzzidiag to do that.

Last edited:
Back