• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

I never knew Loctite eats powder coat...

Spumoni

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
I’m nearing the completion of my modifications to my new V7III (250 miles so far). I just happened to see some Loctite spilled on the rear hub from when I was installing new rear signals from a couple days ago. When I wiped it off, It took the powdercoat with it. It was eaten away right to the raw aluminum. I tried touching it up, but it will never look right to me since I have pretty severe OCD.

My only options are 1) live with it. 2) replace the whole unit (nearly 2k) or 3) remove the hub, dismantle the guts and re-powder coat (requires several proprietary tools and the nearest dealer is hours away. Needless to say I’m not happy with any of these options.

So the lesson of the day: If you spill Loctite on anything plastic, wipe it off ASAP!!!

9062E636 F0A7 421B 9D4B DFB65F8EAB7B

So the lesson of the day: If you spill Loctite on anything plastic, wipe it off ASAP!!!
Bummer, and indeed! I learned this decades ago when a spilled bottle spot ate the powder-coating of my lift. No where near as painful as the drive!

HA! If only you knew the level of OCD I've been running at... I'd need the help from a fleet of doctors to get me to that point (actually getting the bike dirty). I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm in the process of pricing out the dismantle of the rear hub so I can re-powdercoat the case.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm in the process of pricing out the dismantle of the rear hub so I can re-powdercoat the case.
Ha, and careful on the dis/re-assembly. There is a ton of "preciseness" that goes into assembling those.

Been here, done that, but slightly different.

Last October, I bought a 1200 Sport in near perfect condition, except that the guy had messed with the handlebars, and rotated them so badly that on full turn, he made the controls strike the tank. He put a dime sized chip in the fuel tank paint. I figured I would touch it up and be fine. Not.

I performed major touch-up paint surgery, even air brushing the offending spot to very close to disappearing. Unfortunately, OCD makes “very close” into “first thing I fixate on when mounting the bike”. Was driving me nuts.

Then I ordered some 3M faux carbon fiber application paper from a vendor on Amazon.

Our local library has a paper punch/cutter system with tons of dies of things to cut out. Stuff like letters and images and shapes. I think teachers come use it for making stuff for their boards in their rooms.

Anyway, I found a shape of a lovely rectangle with rounded corners, and punched out two of them at the library from my carbon fiber decal.

Lined them up on the tank after changing out the handlebars to never touch the tank again, and applied them like they were factory abrasion guards. The one hid the paint from view and the pair looked awesome on the black tank. Problem solved.

I recommend that you order the same stuff, and try cutting a nice shape, freehand if you have to, and do the same. Make your template from plain white paper then use that template as a guide for the carbon fiber paper. You can make it the trapezoidal shape of the hub there for example.

Inexpensive, stylish, and it will hide the offending blemish!

9A90387B D8BE 408A AFC9 1AC1FB392703

Last edited:
Lordy, and I thought I was wound a bit too tightly. ;)

[As an example, I just paused to decide if it the correct usage was "tight" or tightly." Decided the latter correct if a bit effete, but, heck, I am that, too. :giggle:]

Anyway, learned the Loctite lesson when I thought my Norge's recently replaced front turn-signal lenses were corroding. Well, they were. From Loctite. Being a slow learner in addition to OCD tendencies, it took me two more before I figured out why. Doh. :fubar:

With only 250 miles on that III, you need to ride more and worry about cosmetics less. Easy to say, of course. And, being a black pot to your kettle, know that I still stew a bit when I see a nick that a shop put on my EV ... 20 years ago! :rofl:

Best,

Bill

Last edited:
Scott - funny you should say that. Perhaps we’re both sick? I already ordered a 22 mm hole punch so I can cut the half circle for my 3m vinyl wrap to go around that drain plug base. I tried using a satin clear film, but the chips are so deep they still show up. I went through about 30 sheets of paper trying to get the right pattern. I will eventually figure out something that my OCD can live with. Similar to your tank idea. (well done by the way).

My previous V7II got a deep chip in the swing arm within the first 200 miles. It bugged me until the very end. At 10k, when I traded it in for my new one, it never had another single flaw on it. Just that one chip. Perhaps this is natures way of dealing with my illness.

My apologies to all the normal people out there for having to read this.

Left side... funny! I'll give it a try.

Scott - got the 22mm hole punch, spent an hour making the perfect cut pattern piece out of 3M film. put it on, and I could still see the dimple through the film. Pulled it off, and now I'm just going to forget about it. If it's still bothering me by this winter, I'll yank the rear hub and send mail it to the dealer so they can dismantle it. Yep, looks like I'm sick.

I’m going to resurrect this OCD infested post with an update for those who may still care. I spent the winter trying NOT to look at the marks in the new rear hub, but recently decided I was going to address the issue head on. To my surprise, when trying to remove the touch up paint, I realized the rear hub isn’t powder coated at all. This explains why the loctite ate right through so easily in the first place. I used a little solvent to remove the touch up paint, and noticed the original black coating started to rub right off. This of course made the process a lot easier to repaint. So if anyone is out there looking for a good match for that Guzzi flat black, I think I found it. KBS Coatings Blacktop Chassis paint in FLAT black is a perfect match. It’s indistinguishable from the original paint.

Attachments

• 7FEEF925-400D-40E0-9594-D763E47CA3DC.jpeg
    7FEEF925-400D-40E0-9594-D763E47CA3DC.jpeg
    72.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 4A0F54B1-AD4E-4C49-9018-54E4F0AE5D62.jpeg
    4A0F54B1-AD4E-4C49-9018-54E4F0AE5D62.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 43
  • E1396158-7A09-4E92-8AAD-B2D87CF07A5A.jpeg
    E1396158-7A09-4E92-8AAD-B2D87CF07A5A.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Really glad to hear you fixed it up !
Things like that are something that only you see every time you walk up to the bike.

Ps: is there a picture of the whole bike someplace, those shorty pipes have peeked my interest !
Found one :)
Nice !

Oy where / how do those mirrors attach ?

1D86DD1F 2BB3 4573 A9D6 60C8B700F2D3

Last edited:
So true. The bike you’re asking about was my last V7 which I traded for this one. On the old V7, I mounted the mirror to the headlight bracket. I loved the way it looked, but I wouldn’t recommend it functionality wise - had to always contort my legs to see what was behind me. Here’s a couple pics of my new V7.

C64301AD CD94 4F2D 8DC5 49C106B761E1 7994896A E523 4264 B7EC BDD8DD1489A4

Nice, Did you swap your parts over at the dealer when you got the new one ?
( I could see the dealer agreeing, in an effort to make the trade in closer to stock and have a wider audience )

Back