• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

RPM at speed in gear #

DeadEye

GT Reference
GT di Razza Pura
Hi,

I find it annoying not having a tach on the non special editions.

Can someone provide some RPM numbers for a 2017 Stone at 100km/h ( 62 mph)
The bike seems to be happier at 110km/h ( 68 mph) in 6th gear - running smoother / fewer vibrations...

I’m trying to work out what gear / speed feels better ( on the boil - as they would say) for each gear.
I still have the factory shift light enabled it seems to be 60km / 80km / 100km for 2nd/ 3rd / 4th
I haven’t *found* the shift light for 5th it was above 120 Km/h - I already shifted to 6th.

Would anyone know if the harness is the same for all the bikes or are the Stone’s missing the Tach connection...
I asked a dealer / service tech they they didn’t know.

Thanks,
Don

All of these questions are well answered on this Forum. I really encourage everyone to spend just a little time searching instead of making us all work hard to hand them over to everyone. In short, the harnesses are different between the two models... The adding a Tach thread lives on the main page in this section as a "pinned" topic HERE. Read/skim them all from the top.

Thanks for the pointer to the link - I was looking to RPM references at speed.
Not really thinking of adding a tach but wondering if the wiring harness was the same.
I could of hunted around more for the second part of my question.

I would be annoyed without a tach as well but, I just shift wherever feels right regardless of RPM's. I'm still used to using the tach like I did on my old bike to tell me what gear I'm in (old bike didn't have a gear indicator). I have found that as I get more used to my bike I use the tach less and less.

The stock setting of the shift indicator is helpful for break in. That's it. Otherwise I found it annoying. If you are past break in I would move it up and just shift wherever work for you and your riding style. Adding a tach seems like a lot of money for a little gain (though I'm saying that as someone that has one). I would post my tach readings:gear indicated but after all the mods It really feels like my gears are taller.

As a rule of thumb on my tachless V9 I just check the mirrors. If it's lugging they are blurred and when not they are pretty clear. Using the mirror check and feel I have found the best speeds to run in for the gear I am in.

I would be annoyed without a tach as well but, I just shift wherever feels right regardless of RPM's. I'm still used to using the tach like I did on my old bike to tell me what gear I'm in (old bike didn't have a gear indicator). I have found that as I get more used to my bike I use the tach less and less.

The stock setting of the shift indicator is helpful for break in. That's it. Otherwise I found it annoying. If you are past break in I would move it up and just shift wherever work for you and your riding style. Adding a tach seems like a lot of money for a little gain (though I'm saying that as someone that has one). I would post my tach readings:gear indicated but after all the mods It really feels like my gears are taller.

The Honda has no Tach or gear indicator although it does have little red marks on the speedo, but I think those are Max in gear limits ?
Yes, I agree the RPM’s don’t really matter, but having had tach’s on the previous bikes and cars I’m used to looking for it.
$700 for a gauge is a bit more that I have in the budget, heck for that money you could buy the Big Bore kit :clap:

Well, if you ever get tired of looking at your Tach, I’ll give you 200$ Cdn and a gallon of Maple syrup :D for it.

As a rule of thumb on my tachless V9 I just check the mirrors. If it's lugging they are blurred and when not they are pretty clear. Using the mirror check and feel I have found the best speeds to run in for the gear I am in.

That is somewhat part of my gauge of *engine happiness* now, when the vibrations smooth out it’s in the sweet spot. But where is that spot...

Did it really save them that much to only include it with Specials ?

The Honda has no Tach or gear indicator although it does have little red marks on the speedo, but I think those are Max in gear limits ?
Yes, I agree the RPM’s don’t really matter, but having had tach’s on the previous bikes and cars I’m used to looking for it.
$700 for a gauge is a bit more that I have in the budget, heck for that money you could buy the Big Bore kit :clap:

Well, if you ever get tired of looking at your Tach, I’ll give you 200$ Cdn and a gallon of Maple syrup :D for it.

Not sure what those would indicate? But agree, too much money for it.

$200 Canadian? Isn't that about $49.65 USD? :p It always seems different every time we head to Canada. Now the Maple Syrup, my daughter would love that deal. She's a maple syrup junkie.

My V7III Racer is happiest when it's spinning over about 4000 rpm or so, runs sweetest between 4500-6000 rpm. As a result, I rarely shift into 6th gear before about 70 mph unless I'm just droning down the highway on level ground.

You can add a cheap digital tach and hide it somewhere for about $25.

Back