• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

My V85TT ADV issue

Update...the mechanics found the valve adjustments were out of spec. How they got out of spec with 50 miles of post-delivery miles I don’t understand. Nevertheless, I picked up the bike yesterday and rode home through the California smoke, lucky to have a ride. Excited to get to know the soul of this machine.

Update...the mechanics found the valve adjustments were out of spec. How they got out of spec with 50 miles of post-delivery miles I don’t understand.
Easy; As previously mentioned, they didn’t do a PDI that you paid dearly for. If you personally can’t do one (including electronic intervention), I would highly recommend you take it to someone that is knowledgeable. I would also be sure to see fhe loose bits thread here also; https://guzzitech.com/forums/threads/v85tt-loose-bits.19845/

Easy; As previously mentioned, they didn’t do a PDI, that you paid dearly for. If you personally can’t do one (including electronic intervention), i would highly recommend you take it to someone that is knowledgeable. I would also be sure to see fhe loose bits thread here also; https://guzzitech.com/forums/threads/v85tt-loose-bits.19845/

I don't think valve lash inspection is normally part of PDI on any bike. That's why they spec a 900 mile service.

Easy; As previously mentioned, they didn’t do a PDI, that you paid dearly for. If you personally can’t do one (including electronic intervention), i would highly recommend you take it to someone that is knowledgeable. I would also be sure to see fhe loose bits thread here also; https://guzzitech.com/forums/threads/v85tt-loose-bits.19845/
Thanks. I don’t know what was supposed to be included in the PDI. I’m certainly paying more close attention to the sound of the engine, and will take notes on the performance during different break-in trips. This is my first time on a brand new motorcycle, so I’m curious about how the feel will change over time, and also hyper-conscious (after the breakdown) about how to condition the engine for long term happiness...will scout around for Guzzi mechanics in the Bay Area, although I have to trust that the dealer knows what they’re doing because I pre-paid for the next 6 scheduled services

I don't think valve lash inspection is normally part of PDI on any bike. That's why they spec a 900 mile service.
I do feel like I’m nursing a newborn, and that the scheduled services and break-in approach is going to influence how the bike does over the long term. Is this your experience?

Please state your experience with Guzzi so that I know who it is I have to debate on this.

Thanks. I don’t know what was supposed to be included in the PDI. I’m certainly paying more close attention to the sound of the engine, and will take notes on the performance during different break-in trips. This is my first time on a brand new motorcycle, so I’m curious about how the feel will change over time, and also hyper-conscious (after the breakdown) about how to condition the engine for long term happiness...will scout around for Guzzi mechanics in the Bay Area, although I have to trust that the dealer knows what they’re doing because I pre-paid for the next 6 scheduled services
Welcome, and any dealer that doesn't do a valve lash check as part of the PDI is just being lazy and greedy, and it's these type of dealers that will continue with the disappointment of new bike owners with the brand. Sorry to hear you gave money for the pre-paid service. My shop is just a nice rider down the coast if I can be of any help.

Please state your experience with Guzzi so that I know who it is I have to debate on this.

I have no Guzzi experience, my comment was based on the numerous other brands I do have experience with. If it is part of Guzzi PDI I'd like to hear about it. For what it's worth my valves were considerably out of spec at the 900 mile service so it's likely they weren't checked by the dealer.

I have no Guzzi experience, my comment was based on the numerous other brands I do have experience with. If it is part of Guzzi PDI I'd like to hear about it. For what it's worth my valves were considerably out of spec at the 900 mile service so it's likely they weren't checked by the dealer.
Thanks. Guzzi is different from EVERY brand, and while I haven't personally seen the PDI sheet for the V85TT yet, this is the second V85 that I have heard of that had this issue. Secondly, the valve lash check HAS been on every PDI to date, and if you also get a chance to visit the factory like I have been fortunate to do as a moto journalist, with a very intimate facility tour and behind the scenes intel, you too will see what they do to the bikes off the assembly line and into the crate prior to shipping. In short, the dealer is relied on to do a proper set up and inspection. I've been living in Guzzi since 1999, and I've made a business of service and performance mods since 2001 or so. I just state facts, no opinions unless asked to do so. I have info covered in the red paragraph above. ;)

Thanks. Guzzi is different from EVERY brand, and while I haven't personally seen the PDI sheet for the V85TT yet, this is the second V85 that I have heard of that had this issue. Secondly, the valve lash check HAS been on every PDI to date, and if you also get a chance to take visit the factory like I have been fortunate to do as a moto journalist, with a very intimate facility tour and behind the scenes intel, you too will see what they do to the bikes off the assembly line and into the crate prior to shipping. In short, the dealer is relied on to do a proper set up and inspection. I've been living in Guzzi since 1999, and I've made a business of service and performance mods since 2001 or so. I just state facts, no opinions unless asked to do so. I have info covered in the red paragraph above. ;)
where are you located? I plan on making trips down the coast so it’s always good to have a port of call...and a guzzi guru to chat with

Where are you located? I plan on making trips down the coast so it’s always good to have a port of call...and a guzzi guru to chat with
Some devices you view the Forum on don’t show my signature, unless you rotate the screen... but you can click on the SERVICE tab above also. My workshop is in Orange, CA.

Oh I see now! I’ll head to your site
Great, and this website is mine as well. I created the GTM site when I launched my custom Guzzi build division, and also to help clarify that I sell products and have a service workshop. It seems there's always confusion on who I am and what I do, and I get frequently questioned and debated, often with personal opinions, and I find myself having to justify my 20 years of living in the brand as a job, not for a hobby or just for fun. My resume is here; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/merry-xmas-from-roper-ah.20231/

Back