• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V85tt final drive oil change at 850 miles.

Bob Bourget

Tuned and Synch'ed
Because I'm anal about oil and changes, decided to do a quick change on the final drive at 850 miles. What came out was surprising. Oil was dark black / gray with the magnet full of dust like particles. Nothing big to be worrysome but the oil color disturbed me. If you guys could picture oil with moly in it that would be the best description. Changed it with the requisite 160ML of AMSOIL 85W-140, will run it for the next 100 miles, drop it and complete the first service at 950 with all of the other required maintenance per the book. I plan to do the trans as well.
So...has anyone experienced the same thing? Does the factory stuff have moly in it? Should I be concerned?
Thanks;
Bob

Bob,

Not unusual to have initial wear particles as the gears bed in. Color is a bit of a concern but I don't think the factory is using moly as it hasn't been referenced since the last Tonti bike. Good you did an early change and the subsequent changes will be a bit dark until all remnants of the original oil have dissipated.

Thank-you John. Once I drive it for another 100 miles and change it again, I'll post the results. When I spin the rear wheel on the centerstand, it is silent with no catches, roughness, etc.........I think it'll be ok but I would recommend to everyone to change it early and NOT follow what the Maker suggests. I believe that if left unchecked I would have been faced with a failed rear final drive. On the engine change {which I did at 150 miles}, I found the exact opposite. No metal particles on the magnet and amber color to the oil. Can't wait to drain the trans and see what comes out.....

After a brief conversation with my dealer, he confirmed that Guzzi uses Moly in the factory fill, giving the lube the coloration as described. He does as I did, drain and re-fill with synthetic. Concerns from hi-anxiety went to nil. As stated earlier, the dust-like particles are of no concern.

Back