• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2017 V7 III Check Engine Light

I hate to revive this but, I washed the 2017 V7III last Saturday and was promptly rewarded with the CEL light. It's been ridden twice since then 200 miles each time in dry weather. still on. yesterday I took off and rode 50 miles with it on then had to stop for coffee removal for about 10 minutes. when I restarted it went off and stayed off for 75 miles until the lunch stop. when I restarted it again it was back on. the dirty rotten SOB! I tool the battery cables off last night shorted them to each other and turned the key on and hit the brake. reassembled and IT"S STILL ON.
Has anybody fixed it for sure? how about shutting off the o2 sensors.

I figure Dirt on the XR gives it street cred ;)
So far I’ve only wiped down the Stone with cleaner, damp cloth, no hose or pressure washer like the dirt bikes...
You strengthen my resolve to Not hose it down...

Altitude is controlled by all of the sensors collectively along with algorithms. The stock narrow band sensors are not for fueling corrections. On occasion, I have found that in resort towns have (on most occasions) poor gas. I have many flashes running around the world without any issues, including my development of them for sea level to 12k on Angeles Crest Highway. Air-cooled bikes tend to run terrible at elevation when you are used to sea level power.

I filled up in Orange county at one of my local gas stations and never filled up until i got back. Bike's always ran pretty sweet after the reflash that's without a doubt. It was only when I would dump the clutch at a stop light was when it would cut off. the only to remedy this was to feather the clutch and rev higher than normal. once it got up to speed it was all fine and dandy, as if nothing had happened. This only happened when I was up there. Once I got back down, no stumbling on take offs.

I purchased a 2020 V7III Stone S model and will take delivery next month after my vaccines. I am wondering if anyone with a 2020 Stone has had CEL problems/O2 sensor issues? I will post photos when I get my bike.

I'm new to Guzzi's and have a 2018 V7 III with 5,500 miles on it. When I started it the other day the MI warning light came on.
With text help from Todd, I unplugged both O2 sensors and turned over the engine twice.
Note: Turned over but did not start with unplugged sensors. (more to follow?)
Plugged in both sensors and started bike and MI warning light turned off.

I purchased a 2020 V7III Stone S model and will take delivery next month after my vaccines. I am wondering if anyone with a 2020 Stone has had CEL problems/O2 sensor issues? I will post photos when I get my bike.

Okay, well, about 180 miles on my Stone S, went to take it out this evening and made the mistake of putting it in gear with the kickstand down, stalled it and restarted — and don’t you know the check engine light came on. I went ahead and took it for a ride and everything seemed fine, and when I got home I turned it off and then restarted it just to check and the light is still on. Came inside and found this thread... No humidity here and no rain or other water involved. Seemed to be clearly related to me stalling it, but I don’t know how.

I guess tomorrow if I have time I’ll mess around with the battery and see if that does it.

Okay, well, about 180 miles on my Stone S, went to take it out this evening and made the mistake of putting it in gear with the kickstand down, stalled it and restarted — and don’t you know the check engine light came on. I went ahead and took it for a ride and everything seemed fine, and when I got home I turned it off and then restarted it just to check and the light is still on. Came inside and found this thread... No humidity here and no rain or other water involved. Seemed to be clearly related to me stalling it, but I don’t know how.

I guess tomorrow if I have time I’ll mess around with the battery and see if that does it.
Did your battery reboot resolve the issue?

Did your battery reboot resolve the issue?
Nope. Disconnected both positive and negative from the battery and let it sit for probably two hours. Also turned the key and pulled the brake lever as suggested by Vagrant above. It wiped clean my clock and trip odometer but not the CEL. if I get lucky it will turn off after a few rides, as it seems to have done for some folks. Otherwise I guess I’ll be living with it for the next 700 miles until it’s first service. Though I will be changing out the slip-ons and re-flashing at some point, so if I do that before the first service I guess that will take care of it.

even if not a major problem, it’s a pain in the neck. As others have noted the light can be annoyingly bright, at night especially.

Last edited:
I avoid paranoia, but this does seem to be one that will really bother me if it happens. As others have noted, it probably has to do with the o2 sensor, but I hate the idea that I may be running the bike with this light on not knowing how serious it might be. When I pickup my bike in two weeks, I'll report on this if it happens. Thanks for the update.

To add another data point, I'm having the same issue on my new 2019 V7 III Stone Night Pack (what a mouthful!). I bought it from the local dealer here in Tucson in late January this year (2021). The first time the CEL came on was after I let it idle for way too long while chatting with a friend on a warm morning. I noticed leaving the parking lot that the light hadn't gone out. Went for a couple of hours' ride, still on when I got home. Called the dealership the next morning, but when I started the bike to ride over, the CEL went out as usual. They were busy and said they weren't sure whether it stores codes, and obviously didn't want to take the time, and I didn't press it. That was with a couple hundred miles on the bike, in early Feb. Second time was a few days ago after a ride up Mt Lemmon just outside Tucson; the road goes up to about 8500' there so quite a bit of pressure and temperature difference. The light came on as I was getting off the mountain and back into town. Next morning it was still staying on, but when I took it out for a ride in the afternoon, the CEL went out as usual and stayed out. I wonder if there's a 24hr timer on the light. The bike has run perfectly throughout all of this, btw - except for the evap canister issues, but that's another story, and is fixed.

I called the dealer after I got home with the CEL on and they booked me in for a diagnostic a few days later. I warned him that the light might reset and he said no worries, it'll store the code and we'll run the diagnostics. Go figure.

So, I left the bike off with them and they pulled the data off the computer - naturally it does keep history and they retrieved the codes, P0150 and P0130, right and left lambda probes (O2 sensors) respectively. They wanted to keep the bike another day as Piaggio asked them for more data. Then this morning I got a call, they've managed to accidently erase the history! Oops. So I can pick up the bike and please bring it in when the light comes on again. Oh well - at least I've confirmed my theory that it is indeed the O2 sensors. Still an issue it seems.

tell them to give you a credit for the parts and just shut them off.

Steve, if Sig. Sterling's V7 were out of warranty, I wouldn't disagree with your "just shut them off" counsel, but as his is only a few months into that -- to say nothing of dealer and MGNA's awareness of the issue -- not sure that tampering with sensors is prudent.

Not sure how sophisticated that ECU is WRT gathering and storing data -- I do know how unsophisticated the Tucson dealer's tech is at reading it :giggle: -- but the ECU might, when hooked up to a dealer's magic box, reveal the absence, for any period, of a sensor's readings.

As I know less than that dealer about such things ;), I would be happy to learn that I am wrong in this.

1921 - 2021!

Bill

JMHO, mine was on and off for 5000 miles then on permanently for 5000 before Wayne shut them off. Both showed as bad on the dealers PADS and Waynes system. $200 each from Guzzi as I recall and $50. on the internet. now at about 5000 more 19000 totaal it runs great. seeing as this keeps being an ongoing thing I seriously doubt new ones will fix it for long.
I think Todds fueling fix shuts them off too.
I think it is a water issue on the 17 or cheap Chinese parts like the stators. Maybe the 2021 with the relocation will fix it.

Hello all- Another CE light issue. I have just over 400 miles on my V7S (2020 bought new), and when out riding today, (mid 70's F dry humidity), the light came on and stayed on. As others have reported, it ran fine on my turn around home (20 miles).
I contacted the dealer and they said to bring it in. I will take it for a diagnostic just to see what they find. If they replace the O2 sensors and this happens again, I'll try the power reboot and then the crank process mentioned above to see if either works.
One note: It was foggy here for a couple of days and I noticed water condensation dripped down from the bike. Maybe this is the problem with the sensors?? I will report back after the dealer inspection.

To add another data point, I'm having the same issue on my new 2019 V7 III Stone Night Pack (what a mouthful!). I bought it from the local dealer here in Tucson in late January this year (2021). The first time the CEL came on was after I let it idle for way too long while chatting with a friend on a warm morning. I noticed leaving the parking lot that the light hadn't gone out. Went for a couple of hours' ride, still on when I got home. Called the dealership the next morning, but when I started the bike to ride over, the CEL went out as usual. They were busy and said they weren't sure whether it stores codes, and obviously didn't want to take the time, and I didn't press it. That was with a couple hundred miles on the bike, in early Feb. Second time was a few days ago after a ride up Mt Lemmon just outside Tucson; the road goes up to about 8500' there so quite a bit of pressure and temperature difference. The light came on as I was getting off the mountain and back into town. Next morning it was still staying on, but when I took it out for a ride in the afternoon, the CEL went out as usual and stayed out. I wonder if there's a 24hr timer on the light. The bike has run perfectly throughout all of this, btw - except for the evap canister issues, but that's another story, and is fixed.

I called the dealer after I got home with the CEL on and they booked me in for a diagnostic a few days later. I warned him that the light might reset and he said no worries, it'll store the code and we'll run the diagnostics. Go figure.

So, I left the bike off with them and they pulled the data off the computer - naturally it does keep history and they retrieved the codes, P0150 and P0130, right and left lambda probes (O2 sensors) respectively. They wanted to keep the bike another day as Piaggio asked them for more data. Then this morning I got a call, they've managed to accidently erase the history! Oops. So I can pick up the bike and please bring it in when the light comes on again. Oh well - at least I've confirmed my theory that it is indeed the O2 sensors. Still an issue it seems.
How did this resolve the CEL...did it ever turn off?

Mine has stayed off.
I took my bike in to the dealer and the mechanic checked the bike and cleared codes. He told me there was a software glitch that made the CEL come on. This is a Guzzi dealer for many years (RAZEE in N Kingston RI) that I really like andI trust they know what they are doing. I bought two other bikes from them over the years. The light is out and I am only to about 500 miles, so if there are any more issues I will report back, but for now all is good.

Back