• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Vibration V7iii

Oldman

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
Hello! I know there are a lot of vibration threads here and elsewhere and I have searched and read them. All I want to ask is 'Is this vibration normal?' I have a 6 month old V7iii Stone with 5000 km on it. At 130 km/h in top gear it rumbles up through the pegs and in the handlebars especially if going up a gradiant or over taking. If I drop down a gear it is still there but less. I have no rev counter. I estimate the rpm when the rumble starts at 4500. Most designers would design the gearing so in top at motorway limits you are at the peak of the torque curve but this doesn't feel like it at all. I am riding back to Scotland from southern spain in a month but now I am worrying about what the vibration will do to me! I know these engines vibrate more than most. I know what V twins are like, I have a Ducati Desert Sled which I made the same trip on last year. As I said, not a buzz but a rumble.....Is it normal?

You're asking a tough question. Everybody has a different opinion on how much is a lot.
First and most importantly is this something new or the same as it's been from new. If new get the tires up in the air and look them over carefully for lumps, bumps, etc. At the same time wiggle them for wheel bearing failure. Did you add engine protectors, change the exhaust, or similar. assuming your speedometers are as off as ours 130 should be 80.7 MPH. In reality, it's more like 74-75 depending on tires. For hills especially at 3000 feet above sea level that's about as slow as you need to be in sixth. At an honest 90MPH, you should be getting a bit of tingle but not much. If the tires and bearings are feeling good look for anything hitting the frame that then touches the engine and check 100% of all bolts for tightness.

H
You're asking a tough question. Everybody has a different opinion on how much is a lot.
First and most importantly is this something new or the same as it's been from new. If new get the tires up in the air and look them over carefully for lumps, bumps, etc. At the same time wiggle them for wheel bearing failure. Did you add engine protectors, change the exhaust, or similar. assuming your speedometers are as off as ours 130 should be 80.7 MPH. In reality, it's more like 74-75 depending on tires. For hills especially at 3000 feet above sea level that's about as slow as you need to be in sixth. At an honest 90MPH, you should be getting a bit of tingle but not much. If the tires and bearings are feeling good look for anything hitting the frame that then touches the engine and check 100% of all bolts for tightness.
Thanks for the kind reply. No I do not think this is new. Up until now I have only been running the bike in so my trips have been 300 km runs into the mountains. Almost no highway work. And with lots of gear changes the vibration has not worried me. I guess I hoped it would decrease as the bike wore in. Now with 550 km days needed and highway work the rumble is a pain in the ass(!) and it is a rumble, it really feels like an imbalance in the engine and is much accentuated by load on the engine. I will carefully check the bike over and check the tyres. I have just replaced the rear. But the vibration, to me, seems to come from the front of the engine.

I know it's a 90deg V Twin, but it's still a 2 cylinder machine with no counter-balancing.
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the nature of the engine, I do wonder though why what I am asking about comes on at this particular rpm and increases so noticeably with load. I am going to try a new fuel map, it will be interesting to see if it changes the vibration.

Am assuming you have checked your engine mounting bolts are all torqued correctly?

Back