• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

California 1400 touring 2016 model not starting

Lewis Robb

Just got it firing!
Hi everyone , i love my Cal1400 , but it has sat for 2 months with the battery on a trickle charger.
i went to start the bike yesterday and the battery has full power but when the ignition is turned on
and the start button is pressed nothing happens. No clicking no dimming of the dash lights ,neutral light is on and bright. , nothing,
i pulled the start button and the kick stand switches apart and checked they were fine but no power to them. I do not know what to check next, Any suggestions.
Cheers , Lew Hervey Bay Australia

Hi everyone , i love my Cal1400 , but it has sat for 2 months with the battery on a trickle charger.
i went to start the bike yesterday and the battery has full power but when the ignition is turned on
and the start button is pressed nothing happens. No clicking no dimming of the dash lights ,neutral light is on and bright. , nothing,
i pulled the start button and the kick stand switches apart and checked they were fine but no power to them. I do not know what to check next, Any suggestions.
Cheers , Lew Hervey Bay Australia
Silly question, but you checked the kill switch... - I've done that myself!! Check all connections to battery and starter are good and for any loose wires...... You could also take the battery down to a battery place and get them to check it and make sure no creeks are did.

Silly question, but you checked the kill switch... - I've done that myself!! Check all connections to battery and starter are good and for any loose wires...... You could also take the battery down to a battery place and get them to check it and make sure no creeks are did.

Yes , the kill switch is good , checked all fuses , fitted new battery , checked for loose wires etc etc . but when the start button is pressed , nothing happens at all , nothing .

Lew, have the battery tested (and likely replaced), regardless of what you think or are guessing.

If you pull the left side cover that is over the starter off , you can then put a jumper from the small
tab ( probably a spade fitting) to the top post on the solenoid and see if it cranks over . Then you'll
know if the battery and starter are okay . Quick and dirty and gets that out of the way before getting
in any further :) . Peter

I haven't worked on this specific issue on a 1400 before but given this...

What you are describing sounds like a bad starter relay.

If you understand what a relay is, then you understand how it affects what you are describing.

A relay, uses a small voltage circuit, to control the opening and closing of a much larger circuit.

I believe that your bike does not route the 12V battery supply directly to your starter. It goes to a relay that allows the high draw circuit to close and start the bike.

Check the service manual and find the location of the relay between the starter and the battery.

This is my 2 cent suggestion.

I have a problem with mine now. When I push the start switch all I get is a loud click from the starter motor/solenoid. Battery is only 4 months old and tested good. Managed to get it started by shorting across the two solenoid terminals while pushing the start switch, so that seems to be the problem, I have it in with an auto-electrician to check it out. Seems Bosch have some of their starters made in China now and we have a Chinese Bosch on the 1400's

Attachments

• starter.jpg
    starter.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
There is a modification that is described in this forum to overcome a short coming in Guzzi starter circuitry, Ive done it with success on my Breva 1100's, not sure if it applicable to 1400's, but worth a look, I'm sure someone will chime in with the relevant knowledge.

I’ve suffered a starter motor relay failure. For the life of me I cannot find which relay on the right hand side needs checking.

Anyone know which relay does what? Nothing in the workshop manual or owners guide.

I’ve suffered a starter motor relay failure. For the life of me I cannot find which relay on the right hand side needs checking.

Anyone know which relay does what? Nothing in the workshop manual or owners guide.
It maybe the solenoid on top of the starter motor, if you pull the cover off that hides the starter motor then short across the two terminals with a screwdriver while you push the start button, it's easier with two people, and see if that works. If it is the solenoid I looked for a replacement for mine and couldn't find one so in the end I replaced the starter motor complete. It's made in China say no more.

Have proved starter motor is ok by doing that and swapped round the three relays. Now need to trace wire from spade connector on the solenoid back to a relay to prove continuity as no voltage when depress starter button on wire to spade.

Have proved starter motor is ok by doing that and swapped round the three relays. Now need to trace wire from spade connector on the solenoid back to a relay to prove continuity as no voltage when depress starter button on wire to spade.
Managed to find this if it's any use, starter relay command output red/yellow. It won't let me upload the file saying the image is too big

Update

Relay 28 to activate the starter solenoid is the right hand relay in the left hand relay housing looking at the relays from the throttle side of the bike.
Pin 87 is the wire to the solenoid ( second contact away from you)

It would appear the solenoid on the starter motor has an intermittent internal short to earth on the positive side.
Shorting the main positive feed to the spade connector works most of the time so it lead me down the garden path as the first time I tried it it worked. Tried it several more times before it failed. Then it worked again. Then failed. Then worked……

There was corrosion on the relay 28 socket. Unsure if this is just coincidence but led to the lack of continuity. Once cleaned I now get 12 volts every time I press starter button now on the wire to the spade.

Bottom line: New starter motor on order as you can’t just replace the solenoid.

An update. If anyone requires a new starter motor it appears this is common across the range. Got one second hand from a V7 and they are identical. Have a code 97729 R QD1252 on the side of the solenoid. Both 12v 1.4 Kw

Double checked and the engagement gears are identical, mounting holes identical and fitted straight in. And it works!!

That's interesting
Seems to suggest that either the V7 has more starter grunt than it needs or the 1400 is marginal??

The 1400 starter is perfectly adequate . Probably more to do with the 'economy of scale' , buy more and
they're cheaper . Peter

Hi Rick - Just wondering how you resolved this. I’m stuck with a somewhat similar situation and I’m running out of ideas.

Back