• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2014 Cali 1400 Custom - Failed Dashboard Cluster?

mrvman

Tuned and Synch'ed
Has anyone experienced a dashboard cluster "failure" whereby the headlight low beam lights is dimmer than its normal brightness?

The only shop that currently services Moto Guzzi near me said that this was the case -- they "noticed this" when checking the bike in preparation for a state inspection (Texas).

This is a $600.00 (USD) ECU unit that sits behind the headlight.

Can the knowledgeable folk here confirm that such is a possible case and not just the shop trying to milk me out of $600?

And if accurate, why the heck is a damned headlight setting controlled by an ECU unit, of all things???

A shop in Australia sells it:
bikepartout.com/ignition-lock-key-speedo-dash-cdi-ecu-moto-guzzi-california-1400-custom-cm228201/

I suggest you measure the voltage differential between the high beam and the low beam. If they are identical, then the problem is probably not with the dashboard.

Also check the ground side of the bulbs. There may be a poor "earth" on the low beam bulb. It's more likely to be a bad relay.

If you are concerned about being "milked", ask the dealer to guarantee when you fit the new dashboard the problem will be solved. Getting the dealer to fit the dashboard will not pass this critical test.

Last edited:
I agree

You might need to query that.
There is no separate ecu that sits behind the Dash

The ECU is behind the battery on the rear fender.
The dash is intelligent and it and the Abs unit communicate with the Ecu via Canbus

it is more likely to be a relay or earthing problem.

check the wiring diagram.
I think you’ll find it’s routed through a relay

May also be worth an inquiry to Carmo in The Netherlands. No one knows that dash better than they do (I believe they manufacture it for Guzzi). Good guys, very helpful.

Has anyone experienced a dashboard cluster "failure" whereby the headlight low beam lights is dimmer than its normal brightness?

The only shop that currently services Moto Guzzi near me said that this was the case -- they "noticed this" when checking the bike in preparation for a state inspection (Texas).

This is a $600.00 (USD) ECU unit that sits behind the headlight.

Can the knowledgeable folk here confirm that such is a possible case and not just the shop trying to milk me out of $600?

And if accurate, why the heck is a damned headlight setting controlled by an ECU unit, of all things???

A shop in Australia sells it:
bikepartout.com/ignition-lock-key-speedo-dash-cdi-ecu-moto-guzzi-california-1400-custom-cm228201/

There is no separate ECU behind the dash as Rickhinnz says, and the ECU for sale in Australia is the ECU unit that sits on the rear fender. I have bought a few 1400 bits and pieces off of Bikepartout, they are all from a wrecked 2013 model as it says in he description - (Ignition lock key set with fuel cap, dashboard and CDI off 2013 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom ABS.) I have found them an excellent company to deal with if you have to go down that route, but I would be checking relays and connections as has already been said and/or try a new low beam globe before anything else.

I really appreciate everyone's collective insight on this issue: it was really bugging me that I couldn't identify the "behind-the-dashboard unit"; all I knew of was the ecu under the seat behind the battery.

I did inquire with Carmo in The Netherlands, but they seem a little slow on the replies.

I will do some basic testing (for grounding faults, etc) on the low beam's circuit to eliminate that as a possible issue -- further trial and error showed that the beam does not always remain dim: it lights up to it typical brightness leading me to suspect a grounding issue.

I will post an update once I get through the testing part of things...

Last edited:
Alright, I will ask the obviously amateur question here: How do I open the headlight assembly on the California 1400 Custom?

All I see are the side mounting screw/bolts and the one bolt under the headlight itself. Do I remove these in order to access some other case assembly screws?
I tried to get an idea looking at the service manual, but it does appear clear to me on the procedure.

If anyone would kindly educate me on this otherwise frustrating process I would humbly appreciate it.

Back