• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oh No - Not Tires

I am on the 3rd set of tires on mine.
The original Dunlops weren't bad. I wasn't thrilled with the bike losing grip in turns over tar strips, a rather scary feeling, which led me to try different brands.
My next set were Metzeler 888 Marathon Ultras. I wouldn't recommend these, mainly because the front tire is too wide for this bike, rubs the fender mounting bracket (can be corrected with some modification), even though the stated size is correct. These tires also seemed to handle worse as they neared their end of life. I think this was due to the center of the tread, particularly the rear tire, becoming flat as it wore down.
I just installed a set of Shinko 777s. I like the price, and have seen at least one review that described them as very sticky. I've had the bike over 100 mph on these tires, very smooth, no vibration. I just did an 8 hour roundtrip ride this past Saturday, no adverse handling issues at any speed. Traction on tar strips seems to have improved, but hasn't disappeared entirely. There are a couple of downsides to these tires. First, they're not show quality. The whitewall doesn't extend to the tire bead as it does on the other two brands. That wouldn't be a big deal, except that this area isn't exactly black, either. It looks like crinkled black/white, which is the best that I can describe it. Shinko Whitewall Another item is that it took a lot of weight to balance the tires, another visual issue. Front Wheel Weights Rear Wheel Weights The texture of the whitewalls seems different than the other two, you have to rub a bit harder to clean them, not a big deal. So far, I like the Shinkos as the best of the three.

Avon Cobra Chrome, on my 3rd pair, love 'em.
I've looked all over the internet and cannot find the whitewalls as a set for the Eldo. I can buy blackwall but that kind of defeats the purpose of the look of the Eldo IMO.
Thanks for the reply!

I've looked all over the internet and cannot find the whitewalls as a set for the Eldo. I can buy blackwall but that kind of defeats the purpose of the look of the Eldo IMO.
Thanks for the reply!

If you google Avon Cobra Chrome white wall it will come up, I can't post a link on here.

If you google Avon Cobra Chrome white wall it will come up, I can't post a link on here.
Yes sir you are correct and I have done so. I can find the front but not the rear in whitewall. Thanks very much!

Last edited:
I am on the 3rd set of tires on mine.
The original Dunlops weren't bad. I wasn't thrilled with the bike losing grip in turns over tar strips, a rather scary feeling, which led me to try different brands.
My next set were Metzeler 888 Marathon Ultras. I wouldn't recommend these, mainly because the front tire is too wide for this bike, rubs the fender mounting bracket (can be corrected with some modification), even though the stated size is correct. These tires also seemed to handle worse as they neared their end of life. I think this was due to the center of the tread, particularly the rear tire, becoming flat as it wore down.
I just installed a set of Shinko 777s. I like the price, and have seen at least one review that described them as very sticky. I've had the bike over 100 mph on these tires, very smooth, no vibration. I just did an 8 hour roundtrip ride this past Saturday, no adverse handling issues at any speed. Traction on tar strips seems to have improved, but hasn't disappeared entirely. There are a couple of downsides to these tires. First, they're not show quality. The whitewall doesn't extend to the tire bead as it does on the other two brands. That wouldn't be a big deal, except that this area isn't exactly black, either. It looks like crinkled black/white, which is the best that I can describe it.View attachment 22850 Another item is that it took a lot of weight to balance the tires, another visual issue.View attachment 22848 View attachment 22849 The texture of the whitewalls seems different than the other two, you have to rub a bit harder to clean them, not a big deal. So far, I like the Shinkos as the best of the three.
That's a lot of weights! I bought a set of Shinkos for my V11 Rossa Mandello but haven't put them on yet. I'm looking forward to trying them out.

That's a lot of weights! I bought a set of Shinkos for my V11 Rossa Mandello but haven't put them on yet. I'm looking forward to trying them out.

That is a lot of weights! Good thing I can't see them as I roll down the road. A friend of mine commented on them, said another guy uses beads in his tires and swears by them. I'm too much of a traditionalist (so far) to try something like that.

Shinko makes excellent tires. I have them onn4 of my 7.

I wouldn’t call 1.5 oz or 2 oz “a lot of weight”. However, that could most likely have been reduced by changing the alignment of the tire on the rim.

You could switch to a spoke weigh of which 1 single weight would do the job. Point to consider.

Granted, in my shop that’s an easy event.

Curious, how did you balance the wheel? Static stand?

I do like the look of whitewalls on cruiser motorcycles though. Classic.

Last edited:
Shink makes excellent tires. I have them onn4 of my 7.

I wouldn’t call 1.5 oz or 2 oz “a lot of weight”. However, that could most likely have been reduced by changing the alignment of the tire on the rim.

You could switch to a spoke weigh of which 1 single weight would do the job. Point to consider.

Granted, in my shop that’s an easy event.

Curious, how did you balance the wheel? Static stand?

I do like the look of whitewalls on cruiser motorcycles though. Classic.

Spin balancer, at my local Cycle Gear store. I think the stick-on weights are their only offering. I guess it isn't that much weight when you think about it, but definitely more than what was used on other tires I used. Definitely no vibration, which is my main concern.

One of the employees at Cycle Gear told me that Shinkos are good tires, but I may only get about 2000 miles of life out of them. I hope he was exaggerating, jacking that bike up is a bit awkward. I gotta make one of those cradles that other posters here have. Maybe a Winter project.

Last edited:
Spin balancer, at my local Cycle Gear store. I think the stick-on weights are their only offering. I guess it isn't that much weight when you think about it, but definitely more than what was used on other tires I used. Definitely no vibration, which is my main concern.

One of the employees at Cycle Gear told me that Shinkos are good tires, but I may only get about 2000 miles of life out of them. I hope he was exaggerating, jacking that bike up is a bit awkward. I gotta make one of those cradles that other posters here have. Maybe a Winter project.

That guy is full of it. I put a lot of Shinko 777's on Full Dress Harley Davidsons. They last longer than the Harley Dunlops. Again though, it's rider dependent. Some riders are very hard on tires while others are very gentle.

There really are no bad tires anymore, except maybe a few Chinese brands that nobody really wants to put on any serious motorcycle anyway.

I bought my 2017 California 3 weeks ago, with 700 miles on it. I’ve ridden it 1500 miles, and the tires seem to perform fine, other than lots of noise from the rear. I haven’t checked the DOT date stamp, but I’m assuming the tires are at least 4 years old. Wondering if I should go ahead and replace them due to age, not mileage?

I bought my 2017 California 3 weeks ago, with 700 miles on it. I’ve ridden it 1500 miles, and the tires seem to perform fine, other than lots of noise from the rear. I haven’t checked the DOT date stamp, but I’m assuming the tires are at least 4 years old. Wondering if I should go ahead and replace them due to age, not mileage?

Check the date, the bike may have been made several years earlier (and the tires before that) and left sitting in a showroom before 2017 (just guessing based on similar situations for other1400's). Personally, if a tire is less than 8 years old I ride it. I've read similar on other websites, but everyone takes their own risks. Obviously do a visual check as well.

Check the date, the bike may have been made several years earlier (and the tires before that) and left sitting in a showroom before 2017 (just guessing based on similar situations for other1400's). Personally, if a tire is less than 8 years old I ride it. I've read similar on other websites, but everyone takes their own risks. Obviously do a visual check as well.
The tire stamp date is 2016, so they’re 5 years old. I’m going to ride ‘em unless I get some weird wear pattern. Visually, they’re like new. Fortunately the bike was kept inside it’s entire life.

Going to be purchasing tires for my 2016 Eldorado soon
Not concerned with extended mileage. My preference is minimal break-in period
I'm fortunately not needing to keep costs down.

The candidates are:

Avon Cobra ### seems to be popular choice (and theres whitewalls)
Perelli Night Dragon ### these seem like where I'm looking . . (but no whitewalls..not that I require them but they do look retro cool)
Michelin commander 2 ## reading good things on Michelin
Michelin commander 3
Michelin Pilot 4

I know it's a personal choice but after reading a bit about the tires I've focused in on
I'm still undecided.

I have read thru this forum, but I'd be happy to hear any additional opinions.

thanks all

Last edited:
I went with Bridgestone Excedra Max tires in stock size, front and rear on my C-14. 6,000 mi great tire. comparable to my commander 2 & 3s the feel seems to allow the bike to drop into the curves nicely for the sportier mindset. SKIP

Last edited:
Back