• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

My bike and the lake

dragonknee

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
Upload 2021 8 6 9 24 44
Just thought that I would share this picture of the bike and give my thoughts on the bike. I have thrown lots of time and money into it taking care of the things that I believe are shortfalls and issues. I have done the Starter interruptis fix and the bike got shoed with new tires... Pirelli Angels... Love them for sure. I have put the Givi rack on back and added the GTM flash and a aftermarket Exhaust to it. I put engine guards on it and fixed the flashing headlight and tail light problems caused by the installation of said products by prior owner. I bought the Mana bars from Todd and sourced a set of fairing arms for the little front fairing and installed it. It came with Hepco Becker bags and back case. I bought Norge pegs and raised the height of the seat. I have yet to be able to make this bike fit me like my 2002 V11 LeMans did. I got hit on that bike and it fit me like a glove. I bought this bike to replace it and must admit it was the looks and the thought that the suspension and the power would make me forget the V11... It hasn't. I just liked that bike for sure and miss it... So now the question is do I continue and fix the rear shock and do up the suspension or do I let it go... I guess only time will tell... I can say it runs great with the flash but my mileage is a bit lower due to my grabbing the throttle like a crazy guy... LOL

E57EE602 C975 4B2E AB07 22E357B52445

I own one, same color, bone stock. I adore it. I also think it has the best sounding stock pipe ever fitted to any motorcycle but that’s just my opinion.

Admittedly though, I will never understand the phenomenon of people like the previous owner, who take a standard sporting motorcycle and then immediately try and turn it into a bagger / touring bike.

I think the 1200 Sport is stunningly beautiful but bags would make it ugly as sin to me. Top box? Yuck!

I also own a Piaggio MP3 400ie. I adore it as well.

F8071903 8341 4D31 977E CF556CF2B2CA 71F58D7A 37B8 4666 9325 A3CA10A268B9

When last in Milan, I saw this hideous example with the biggest and tallest (almost 5 foot long) acrylic barn door on the front of it. It was uglier in person!

D305C099 79A3 4045 90A7 37216A27C725

Last edited:
View attachment 22888

I will never understand the phenomenon of people like the previous owner, who take a standard sporting motorcycle and then immediately try and turn it into a bagger / touring bike.

I think the 1200 Sport is stunningly beautiful but bags would make it ugly as sin to me. Top box? Yuck!

Concur, Scott, with two quibbles.

My Norge is a great machine, but I have long thought my brother's -- now gone -- B11 was even better for serious touring, if for no other reason than the maddening tupperware of the Norge. Yes, weather and engine-heat protection, but at, IMO, too great a price. Yet, when fitted with panniers, and -- yes, gasp -- a top box, the B11 and, even better -- yes, gasp again -- S12's such as yours and the OP's, one got the best of both worlds.

No, not minimalist, but functional. Traveling two-up with Kathi and her "essentials" :inlove: that require both panniers, a chunk of the top box, and "Bill, do you have any room in the tank bag" :* ... well, you see why naked Sports are great in theory for some of us, but unrealistic in application.

I have in the Moto Grappa just now an 8v Norge. I had ridden two of my brother's three 8v Norges -- yes, three; really -- but somehow never found them compelling. Well, this one kicks gluteus maximus. And the 8v Norge cladding is way mote robust and easier to remove.

I almost bought an MP3, too. We lived in downtown Atlanta and it seemed the perfect intown vehicle but capable of LD if needed. Yes, that Milanese MP3's w/s is hideous, but probably quite practical in urban commuting in the many wet months of northern Italy.

Oh, wait ... almost forgot. Nice Sport, OP.

Bill

I almost bought an MP3, too. We lived in downtown Atlanta and it seemed the perfect intown vehicle but capable of LD if needed. Yes, that Milanese MP3's w/s is hideous, but probably quite practical in urban commuting in the many wet months of northern Italy.

Shame Bill really, because it is my absolute favorite 2 wheel vehicle I own. So easy to ride, quick, agile, unbelievable traction in the front end (so much more than any motorcycle ever made) and a breeze to maintain. I have done a very comfortable 400 mile day on her more than once. This Maxi-scooter is very comfortable.

Also, I routinely get 70+ mpg too. Highest was almost 80 mpg!

The only problem is the damn thing loves 80-85mph where the engine is in a super sweet spot and just sings! LOL.

To each their own I guess, the beauty of owning a bike is that its your platform to do as you see fit. I like my rear box because its function over form when I get where I am going and don't want to hang my helmets on the bike or carry them with me everywhere. I'm not to hot on the side bags as I don't do much touring long distance riding. I had heard many state they love the exhaust on the bike as it comes from the manufacturer but I seem to like it with a bit more tone and so it goes besides Todd would lose a bunch of money from lack of buying pipes and flashes for bikes... So there is that as well.... Its a good bike for sure but my Lemans was my first real Guzzi and so I guess I have a sentimental attachment to the bike and it seemed to fit me better in my memory of the bike before the accident. Maybe in time if I make the adjustments to the Sport I will learn to feel the same for it... who knows.

123192384 642220706453154 6346630559124340769 n Guzzi4 Guzzi3 Guzzi2 Guzzi1

Scott this was my High Speed touring bike... Before I got into Guzzi's. It had no rear box nor did it have side bags on it. 185 HP and 105 Foot pounds of torque... Lived on the bike for 2 years and then decided it was time to let it go because of the stupidity of that much power. Thumbnail 7

You misunderstand. I say ride what you love so you love what you ride.

But bags and top boxes on certain motorcycles to me are like ketchup on pasta. It just doesn’t compute in my mind.

Not a comment on you but the previous owner who did it to it before you bought it. But again, just not for me.

I have a topbox on my Piaggio X9 and the awesomely beautiful factory black and white leather top box on the California Vintage.

8554C8C6 486C 4E26 A475 9AC7EE527C60

Got it... I just took it wrong then. I have had so many bikes in the last 10 years as they were plentiful and cheap for the most part. The Sport is a great bike and works well for sure. I have another odd bike to carve corners on in the garage on a bench... Mz Skorpion with a built motor in it... Should be a hoot to ride out here in the sticks where I live. Mz Skorpion cup sport

I LOVE MZ’s! The Scorpions were great bikes and way cool. Besides I like thumpers (both my Piaggios and my old BMW F650).

Although what do you do to juice up a 5 valve 660cc 48hp single? I’m dying to know.

Last edited:
Engine: Crankshaft rebuilt by Crankworks Lightened flywheel Carillo forged connecting rod YFM660R solid balance shaft gear (lightened) Lightened clutch basket, Hinson clutch Undercut transmission cogs Carillo 102mm piston, 11:1 compression ratio Cylinder head ported and flowed by George Dean Megacycle 280-X2 cam Hard faced rockers Kibblewhite valve springs, titanium caps Holeshot 1 into 2 intake manifold MZ Replica headers Fast by Ferracci mufflers Mikuni FCR45 pumper carb Ignitech programmable CDI Chassis: MZ replica subframe and foot controls Metmachex swingarm Penske rear shock Race tech fork internals Brembo front and rear calipers Brembo 13mm front master cylinder Bridgestone S21 tires Specs: Displacement: 686cc Horsepower: 56hp @ 7800rpm Torque: 46ft-lbs @4500rpm Weight: 310lbs wet

The bike has a long history in Seattle since 1995 with a mechanic at Moto International building it and racing... Its been passed thru hands of other like minded people and then it ended up in a garage and sat and fell into disrepair... Young lad named Isaac is into it big time gets and does all this work to it he passes it on to another and he slides down the track on cold tires and now I have it.. I have 30 mile loop near my house with tons of great corners.... It lives on

Hey Dragonknee
Just chasing some information on the Mana bar swap.

Did you find much of a positive difference between the standard bars and the Mana's, I find the reach and width a bit much and after about 120 miles I get pins and needles in my left arm.
Also was the swap relatively easy with regards to cable lengths and remounting the switch gear and bar ends.

Just my 2 cents worth I have both the Guzzi hard panniers and their tank bag as well as a Ventra 51lt bag on a home made rack for my 8V Sport. Love the panniers for their simplicity and speed of removing and attaching plus the non intrusive look once they are removed, best of both worlds IMHO with out the plastic of the Norge.

IMHO I reckon the 1200 Sport name by Guzzi is them "getting their ambitions mixed up with their capabilities" in the bikes standard form compared to other sport bikes out there, I feel its more of a sports tourer, highway mile eater.

By the way, that is a beautiful photo of the 1200 Sport by the lake.

Is that Washington state or perhaps Oregon?
Thanks, Its at Lake Crescent in Washington state near Port Angeles where I live. Part of my loop near my house.

Hey Dragonknee
Did you find much of a positive difference between the standard bars and the Mana's, I find the reach and width a bit much and after about 120 miles I get pins and needles in my left arm.
Also was the swap relatively easy with regards to cable lengths and remounting the switch gear and bar ends.
The swap itself is pretty easy and it makes all the difference in the world. I bought the Mana bars from Todd here at GTM and it makes it a proper riding position compared to other bikes for sure. It takes a little time making sure all the stuff fits right but the bar ends screw into the bars and its pretty darn nice when done.

Hey Dragonknee

Just my 2 cents worth I have both the Guzzi hard panniers and their tank bag as well as a Ventra 51lt bag on a home made rack for my 8V Sport. Love the panniers for their simplicity and speed of removing and attaching plus the non intrusive look once they are removed, best of both worlds IMHO with out the plastic of the Norge.

IMHO I reckon the 1200 Sport name by Guzzi is them "getting their ambitions mixed up with their capabilities" in the bikes standard form compared to other sport bikes out there, I feel its more of a sports tourer, highway mile eater.

I, like many others, did this quite some time ago and they and I wrote about it. SEARCH Mana Bars. Yes, it makes a huge difference. It's a simple swap and requires no cable changes at all. The best part, is the stock 1200 Sport bar end weights, bolt right into the Mana bars.

As for the SPORT moniker, the Italians at Moto Guzzi don't consider the purpose of the bike in the name, but rather the riding posture. A cruiser (California), a tourer (Norge), a standard (V7), an adventure (Stelvio and V85), and a sport (V7 Sport, 1200 Sport, 1100 Sport, V11 Sport/Lemans) etc.

Last edited:
Got it... I just took it wrong then. I have had so many bikes in the last 10 years as they were plentiful and cheap for the most part. The Sport is a great bike and works well for sure. I have another odd bike to carve corners on in the garage on a bench... Mz Skorpion with a built motor in it... Should be a hoot to ride out here in the sticks where I live.View attachment 22914
I had a Yellow Skorpion I traded in for an Aprilia Falco. When I got the Skorpion I lived in San Francisco. Flew to Chicago, bought it and rode back to SF early May. Froze my nuts off, as it was 30 degrees the whole way and my gear was just a bit minimal. I do miss the Skorpion. I put a giant Mikuni on it and had a pipe that set off car alarms everywhere I went. So much fun.

Back