• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V85tt wont start, security is issue

jeff3212

Just got it firing!
Hello all,
I just joined this site because i have an issue that i cant solve. While on ride i stopped to remove rain gear. Bike would not start again. The info screen said to enter secuirty code. I have no idea what that is. After several attempts at guessing i gave up and towed it home. I bought it new last year during covid. I dont remember if i got a 2nd key or was told what the security code is. I can not locate my paperwork nor find any of the pertinent info. My dealer is 2 hours away so that is not convenient besides they are on vacation for a couple more days so i cant talk to them. Anyone know how to reset or. By pass the security issue so i can ride my toy?
Thanks jeff

according to the manual
THE FACTORY SET CODE IS COMPOSED OF FIVE ZEROES.

the message "INSERT CODE" is shown on the display for ten seconds every time you switch on.
If the code is changed from the factory setting the message is removed.

try using five zeros.

two pre-coded keys should come with the bike, These can be used to reset the code by following the procedure in the manual.

according to the manual
THE FACTORY SET CODE IS COMPOSED OF FIVE ZEROES.

the message "INSERT CODE" is shown on the display for ten seconds every time you switch on.
If the code is changed from the factory setting the message is removed.

try using five zeros.

two pre-coded keys should come with the bike, These can be used to reset the code by following the procedure in the manual.
Thanks Mike for responding. I did try guessing at the code and when i did i tried 99999 twice. Then i tried 00000 but it wouldnt work. My bike has been sitting fora a out 20 hours now. Do you think entering the 00000 now will work or my key will start the bike after sitting. I dont have the 2nd key and i dont think i can find it. Any other suggestions?

If the default code "00000" doesn't work, then you might want to try the last 5 digits of the VIN, which _maybe_ the dealer set?

The code can be recovered if it is lost/unknown, BUT (big BUT) code recovery can only be done if you have both of your keys, so if you lost a key and need to reset a lost code, the solution becomes very complicated and/or expensive with limited options.

__Jason

I will not candy coat this.

Given the information you have provided (you do not know the user code and you do not have both keys), you are in a very terrible situation that is insanely expensive to remedy (think 4 digits of expensive, $X,XXX). There is no way around this. There is no quick cheap solution. You are fighting an onboard computer function designed to thwart thieves.

You MUST find the second key to avoid any of this.

You MUST contact the selling dealer and request what they set the user code to when setting up a motorcycle.

Agree that recovering a lost code with only one key present poses significant and costly problems. However, the thing I don't understand currently is... why did the known good key suddenly stop working?

One random thought... check your battery condition. On my wife's V7III (which doesn't even have an immobilizer code at all), when the battery went defunct, it started greeting us with a prompt to enter a security code (again, the bike doesn't even use a code, so not sure what that's about) and it would not start. In our case, the root of the problem was simply a cooked battery messing with the ECU, and once the battery was replaced, all returned to normal. I'm not saying this is your problem, but... possibly.

Otherwise, I'm not sure why the known-good key suddenly stopped being good.

__Jason

I susspect it didn't start because you had hit the kill switch or had the kick stand down in gear. Then you pannicked and might have reset the code to the 9's.
Clean the battery and charge it. Use a different one if possible. Then check the above and try restarting it ignoring the code.

I see this issue time and again with european immobilizers from Piaggio on their scooters and Vespas. If you do not abosolutely have a fully charged, fully active battery, then the immobilizer has all sorts of issues. Once the battery is restored to full charge, 9 out of 10 times, the immobilizer problem disappears.

Nevertheless. ALL THE KEYS are critical. You just bought the bike last year. You need to assemble all of the keys together in a safe space.

You also need to get that code and WRITE IT DOWN IN THE OWNERS MANUAL

If charging the battery resolves this issue, it is still a ticking time bomb waiting to blow up in your face without all of the keys AND the code. I cannot emphasis this enough.

We see this same story over and over and over and over here...

Thanks Mike for responding. I did try guessing at the code and when i did i tried 99999 twice. Then i tried 00000 but it wouldnt work. My bike has been sitting fora a out 20 hours now. Do you think entering the 00000 now will work or my key will start the bike after sitting. I dont have the 2nd key and i dont think i can find it. Any other suggestions?

Lets take this one step at a time.
When you switch on with the key, does the message 'INSERT CODE" show at the bottom on the TFT?

or

does the message "INSERT YOUR PERSONAL CODE" show at the bottom on the TFT?

Last edited:
Back