• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

GPS Mount / Aux Wiring Solutions on 2008 Norge

mpk

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi All,

I finally broke down and bought a GPS (Garmin Zumo XT) for my '08 Norge. I've plan to take my tank off to do some unrelated work (canisterectomy and possibly replace a leaky fuel pump gasket). I figured while I was at it I would wire up the GPS and also create an extra lead to charge my cell phone in my tank bag while touring.

A few questions for the group:

1) What have been your solutions for mounting a gps? Mine will come with a RAM handlebar mount that I am assuming will not fit on the Norge. I know there are various threads on this, but not a lot with photos. I'd appreciate photos if you have a setup that you like. As a side note, there is an unused threaded hole in the upper triple tree - left of where the key goes. Not sure iof its purpose, f this might be a mounting point or what the thread size/pitch is?

2)Any thoughts on how to best wire in the GPS?

3)Any thoughts on how to best wire in a USB lead for a tank bag that I can use to charge a phone or power bank in my tank bag. One thought was that I could run a Battery Tender trickle charger lead all the way up there and then use a USB adapter off of that. I'd like to not have a bunch of wire hanging around when my tank bag is off. (You can assume that I'm an electronics amateur).

Thanks in advance...

Matt

Last edited:
If you haven't read your service manual------

1.- You have a green end plug(kind of 'U' shape) coiled up usually on the left side by frame. Hot wire w/key on.

2.- I would run a lead to batt w/fuse direct for charging, shops sell leads for a batt charger that will work fine.

AND I have seen GPS mount base screwed into the handlebar cover on a Norge dead center, Guzzi sells(or did) a kit.

But you will have to rig the connection somehow, as the connector on that wire is for a TomTom.

If you take off the plastic cover round the ignition switch you wil see to the right a threaded hole, and under the plastic a reinforced area. This is all for a GPS mount they say. Not that I ever used it. At a guess it's an M8 thread.

Have you done the startus interruptus mod to make starting more reliable? If so you will have a redundant yellow wire which used to connect to the start relay. Use this to power a USB charger, it's switched by the ignition.

But you will have to rig the connection somehow, as the connector on that wire is for a TomTom.

If you take off the plastic cover round the ignition switch you wil see to the right a threaded hole, and under the plastic a reinforced area. This is all for a GPS mount they say. Not that I ever used it. At a guess it's an M8 thread.

Have you done the startus interruptus mod to make starting more reliable? If so you will have a redundant yellow wire which used to connect to the start relay. Use this to power a USB charger, it's switched by the ignition.

I have not done the startus interruptus mod, though I'll look into it. I'm hesitant to do too much at once (would rather solve one problem then tackle another) but maybe I should think about it in this case.

A quick followup to this thread:

I finally dug into things and took care of a host of issues while installing the gps.

This included:

1) doing the startus interruptus mod. It had not been done in the past, so there you go. It took a while to figure out that the wiring colors on my starter relay did not exactly match any of the diagrams found online, but I figured it out by disconnecting the feed to the starter, listening for the relay to "click" then working from there (it was still the yellow wire that I cut).
2) swapping out the half-plastic fuel filter for an all-metal one. I also reseated the fuel pump gasket, which I'm pretty sure was weeping.
3) doing a canisterectomy. I had a clogged hose in the system, causing my fuel cap to sound like a harmonica. Problem solved.
4) adding a usb charger. I found one on amazon that connects via SAE cord, which I can use for my trickle charger. It has an on/off switch and digital amp meter. Find on Amazon under "YONHAN Motorcycle USB Charger SAE to USB Adapter". I used the 8mm threaded hole on the dash to mount it.
5) made a simple aluminum bracket for the Garmin that mounts between the windshield brackets. Sits just above the dash and high enough to see over my tank bag.

It's a pretty clean system all around.

Thanks for the tips.

-M

IMG 0106

Back