• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Dry Rear Wheel Splines

TravelinPawPaw

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
Upload 2021 8 12 6 55 45 After reading about others discovering their rear wheel splines weren’t greased from the factory, I decided to take a look at them on my California Tour and not wait until the first tire change. Sure enough, my bike is one that got overlooked.

View attachment 22949 After reading about others discovering their rear wheel splines weren’t greased from the factory, I decided to take a look at them on my California Tour and not wait until the first tire change. Sure enough, my bike is one that got overlooked.

Not sure the factory "overlooked" yours or any others.

It is my understanding -- not necessarily the same as "I know for an indisputable fact :giggle: -- that Moto Guzzi does not think such is needed.

That seems inexplicable (to me), but the MG SE tech told a Georgia dealer that when my brother requested that be done at first service on his (now mine) V7 III. In fact -- even more inexplicably to me -- he seemed resistant to it.

My EV's splines were lubed ... but by Wayne Orwig when he did other magic to it years ago. In fairness to the "no need" crowd, it had gone many thousands of miles without any apparent damage. It now has 104K miles. I did "regrease" those recently, but that was more out of curiosity to see how they looked after all those miles. "Fine," btw. :clap:

Bill

I was hoping to reduce the noise that appears to be coming from the rear of my bike, but lubing the splines didn’t reduce it. More investigation is in order.

Not sure the factory "overlooked" yours or any others.

It is my understanding -- not necessarily the same as "I know for an indisputable fact :giggle: -- that Moto Guzzi does not think such is needed.

That seems inexplicable (to me), but the MG SE tech told a Georgia dealer that when my brother requested that be done at first service on his (now mine) V7 III. In fact -- even more inexplicably to me -- he seemed resistant to it.

My EV's splines were lubed ... but by Wayne Orwig when he did other magic to it years ago. In fairness to the "no need" crowd, it had gone many thousands of miles without any apparent damage. It now has 104K miles. I did "regrease" those recently, but that was more out of curiosity to see how they looked after all those miles. "Fine," btw. :clap:

Bill

Agreed - I always re-lube mine when I take off the wheel, mainly because others (of a circa 2014 vintage that was commonly not greased), reported extreme difficulty removing the wheel due to rust/corrosion. MG must have had a change of heart because my 2016 Audace had grease from the factory

Agreed - I always re-lube mine when I take off the wheel, mainly because others (of a circa 2014 vintage that was commonly not greased), reported extreme difficulty removing the wheel due to rust/corrosion. MG must have had a change of heart because my 2016 Audace had grease from the factory

Interesting.

My bro's (now mine) was a 2017 III.

Maybe not everyone down on the line read the memo. ;)

Bill

My 2018 Eldorado was dry as a popcorn fart . As were the axles . I don't care what horse crap excuse
they use at the factory , those components should be greased , it's not like it's going to fling off onto
the rear tire ! Just how little is done for your $450.00 PDI ? Peter

My 2018 Eldorado was dry as a popcorn fart . As were the axles . I don't care what horse crap excuse
they use at the factory , those components should be greased , it's not like it's going to fling off onto
the rear tire ! Just how little is done for your $450.00 PDI ? Peter

Some here would know -- I don't -- if the swing arms and rear hubs for all models come assembled in the box/crate.

If so, it would seem to me that if such should be done -- and I agree that it should but, obviously, some in Mandello have not -- by factory, not at PDI.

Bill

My wife has serious back issues, and for comparison, I took my wife on a Road King test ride to see if it was more comfortable and maybe easier to get on and off of. The salesman was very courteous, and gave us a quote. Shipping $1,295. Assembly $1,295. What a coincidence they were exactly the same. :think: I’m sure happy she is more comfortable on the California.

IMHO - Pulling wheels and axles are not part of any PDI I’ve ever performed.

As for Harley Davidson, well the “Wallet tap” component of every HD, works excellent!

$1,295 assembly indeed…

I can tell you that when pulling a wheel at my shop, I clean and grease every axle but not for what most people think. Most modern wheels rotate on a permanently sealed greased bearing, but the axle can rust to the inside ring of the inner race thereby making axle extraction a real bitch!

(I’ve seen many threaded ends of the axle mickey’ed up from a amateur with a hammer and/or a drift who banged on the end of the axle.)

My friend Bernie Breece, who owns Ben Breece Harley in Ottawa, Ohio (An EXCELLENT Dealership BTW), let me take pictures of his outstanding “Big Bertha” tool that he fabricated for pulling out those rusted in axles. It‘s a massive 10# slide hammer and even then, some HD axles can be very stubborn and resistant!

8F1D59E3 4421 4A04 B7ED 98378168F916 4D9ACDD5 3970 4BCB 937F 2FD155EAD701 EA3D9C5D 0C98 4F2F 95C3 18683A425F7C 38517897 D42A 40EF 899E 65F5B788850E E03A9AAA 1D08 4C12 B187 71C56C744864 5F9DF1E4 10A5 4B95 97F8 9FAACFC93160

Last edited:
And the totally ludicrous part in the HD assembly ( hey I worked at the dealerships for decades) , is remove cardboard
cover , undo 2 (or 4) straps and have an assistant roll it off the crate ! I've still got the straps ( yep , made in china ) . On
the models with a tourpak , you had to move it back about an inch or so on it's bracket . Peter

I get that there is some assembly required. And they are always SO shiny in the showrooms. And shipping isn’t free. But exactly the same number? Nuts. But it isn’t just HD. All the dealerships tack on extra charges. I’m really happy I found a 2017 with 750 miles on it! Now 2,500 miles.

Back