• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Customizing my Stornello

hatchb4ck

Tuned and Synch'ed
Some people would say that the Stornello model is a scrambler in "looks" only. A slightly knobby tire wearing street bike. For them, that may be a valid opinion. But, I see it differently and I use mine for much more.

I'm an adventure motorcyclist that likes to pack up my camping gear and head off into the woods and trails for a few days. I bought the Stornello to use as my ADV bike.

As a non-standard model of V7II the aftermarket for racks and protection pieces doesn't really exist. Sure, you can buy a one sided HB rack and the oil pan bolt mounted Agostini sump guard (eek!). There are examples of Stornello owners adding extensions to a two sided rack to fit out side of the exhaust. But those didn't fit what I was looking for.

I wanted a frame mounted sump guard and a rack that could carry gear on both sides without sticking out too far.

So, I made my own and thought I'd share the results. The sump guard attaches to the frame in 5 places and the rack easily carries my tool kit, top bag, and a side bag for multi-day excursions. I'm a minimalist camper so I don't carry much.

If anyone is interested, I can post up shots of the design and build process for the sump guard.

On the trail

Glad to see you have not fallen off the planet. :giggle:

I remain interested.

As you may recall from a discussion "elsewhere," I have one of Todd's sump extenders installed on my Stornello. Can probably find a buyer for that if it makes fitting that sort of sump protector in the too-hard-to-do box.

I am more of a poseur and stick to dual tracks, but the modified ground clearance is concerning. Only close call was in going from a McDonald's to Chick-Fil-A parking lot with an unexpected curb drop -- yes, pathetic compo to real off-pavement/off-road stuff. ;) The present bash plate is likely just fine for gravel "spray," but unsure it will do much more.

Anyway, while hardly committed to a buy, I remain, as before, interested if you finish the process.

Bill

Bill,
I do still have all the measurements and started mocking up the extended sump for an updated design. I apologize for my absence. This year has been a bit hectic across the board. I have not forgotten about our discussions. I have the raw materials for the new designs ready and waiting for me to get into the garage. This is completely on me.

So, I made my own and thought I'd share the results. The sump guard attaches to the frame in 5 places and the rack easily carries my tool kit, top bag, and a side bag for multi-day excursions. I'm a minimalist camper so I don't carry much. If anyone is interested, I can post up shots of the design and build process for the sump guard.
I missed this post. A 440+ lb dirt bike isn't what I call fun, but to each his own. ;) Looking good. Please do post up as I have full fabrication capabilities these days, which is what helps fund this site.

I am more of a poseur and stick to dual tracks, but the modified ground clearance is concerning. Only close call was in going from a McDonald's to Chick-Fil-A parking lot with an unexpected curb drop -- yes, pathetic compo to real off-pavement/off-road stuff. ;) The present bash plate is likely just fine for gravel "spray," but unsure it will do much more.
That curb drop issue is easily alleviated by a quick throttle rev & fan of the clutch to loft the tire next time. ;)

At ~420lbs wet weight it is by no means a "dirt bike". And when looking at other ADV bikes (which is what I use it for) it's actually pretty light. E.G. Tenere 700 @ 450lbs wet, Africa Twin @ 530lbs wet, GS 1250 @ 530lbs wet, KLR650 @ 430lbs wet, V85TT @ 505lbs wet. Although it is heavier than the big thumpers like the XR650L and DR650.

Sure, riding the V7II like this isn't for everyone. But, it does everything I've asked it to from forest service roads to mild double track to river crossings. I feel like I'm riding it as it was intended. As a scrambler.

As for picking it up, it's about the same as my other ADV bikes were.

At ~420lbs wet weight it is by no means a "dirt bike". Sure, riding the V7II like this isn't for everyone. But, it does everything I've asked it to from forest service roads to mild double track to river crossings. I feel like I'm riding it as it was intended. As a scrambler.
I'd suggest getting your bike on a scale as it sits. I've weighed them closer to 450. I'd imagine as yours sits, it's at or over that.
Understood otherwise, and getting from dirt to dirt would certainly be more fun than any "real" dirt bike, including all of those mentioned. I'm fortunate for where I live that a 400lb+ off-road machine isn't needed, and when it is, my Stelvio does a nice job.
I'll keep an eye out for whatever you post on.

Although it is heavier than the big thumpers like the XR650L and DR650.

And the XL is WAY heavier than the XR200R and IT125 I was riding before - but they couldn't be plated.

Does anyone know what the engine + transmission on a V7 III weight ?
I'm sure Todd has taken those parts out - but have you put the parts on a scale ?
Just nosey - thanks :)

Last edited:
Some people would say that the Stornello model is a scrambler in "looks" only. A slightly knobby tire wearing street bike. For them, that may be a valid opinion. But, I see it differently and I use mine for much more.

I'm an adventure motorcyclist that likes to pack up my camping gear and head off into the woods and trails for a few days. I bought the Stornello to use as my ADV bike.

As a non-standard model of V7II the aftermarket for racks and protection pieces doesn't really exist. Sure, you can buy a one sided HB rack and the oil pan bolt mounted Agostini sump guard (eek!). There are examples of Stornello owners adding extensions to a two sided rack to fit out side of the exhaust. But those didn't fit what I was looking for.

I wanted a frame mounted sump guard and a rack that could carry gear on both sides without sticking out too far.

So, I made my own and thought I'd share the results. The sump guard attaches to the frame in 5 places and the rack easily carries my tool kit, top bag, and a side bag for multi-day excursions. I'm a minimalist camper so I don't carry much.

If anyone is interested, I can post up shots of the design and build process for the sump guard.

View attachment 22967

That bash plate is AMAZING!!! I'd be REALLY interested in how it's made? Really 1st rate work! I'm new to the Stornello (about 6 months in) and I LOVE the idea of making it a lil' ADV bike! slowly getting there on day. Thanks so much for sharing!

That bash plate is AMAZING!!! I'd be REALLY interested in how it's made? Really 1st rate work! I'm new to the Stornello (about 6 months in) and I LOVE the idea of making it a lil' ADV bike! slowly getting there on day. Thanks so much for sharing!

Thanks a ton for the compliments. The plate is made from 1/8" aluminum. I fabricated it by hand using the tools I had in my shop (drill press, jig saw, hand tools for metal working). The welding on the aluminum was by a local fabricator. I've since added a press brake to my shop for future metal bending and I'm looking at getting a small mill. Hand bending the plate and drilling/shaping all the slots in it by hand is very time consuming.

To mock up the design on the motorcycle, I used 1/8" foam core. It's rigidity kept me honest on how the metal would lay and made it easy to plan out the bends.

Honestly, I was somewhat inspired by Todd and everything available at GTM. On my Stornello, anything that isn't a consumable like oil and spark plugs or made by me is from GTM (midpipe, front/rear suspension, and ECU tune).

Honestly, I was somewhat inspired by Todd and everything available at GTM. On my Stornello, anything that isn't a consumable like oil and spark plugs or made by me is from GTM (midpipe, front/rear suspension, and ECU tune).
Appreciated. This site was started with things just like your project. Since I now have a full fab workshop, happy to take on small projects like this. Downside for me is that the shop is incredibly busy, and taking time out for onesies or twosies is getting tougher by the day. Regardless, always fun to see what people are doing or needing/wanting.

Thanks a ton for the compliments. The plate is made from 1/8" aluminum. I fabricated it by hand using the tools I had in my shop (drill press, jig saw, hand tools for metal working). The welding on the aluminum was by a local fabricator. I've since added a press brake to my shop for future metal bending and I'm looking at getting a small mill. Hand bending the plate and drilling/shaping all the slots in it by hand is very time consuming.

To mock up the design on the motorcycle, I used 1/8" foam core. It's rigidity kept me honest on how the metal would lay and made it easy to plan out the bends.

I've never fabbed anything more complex then a bracket here and there. This project seems pretty daunting. Do you happen to have any pictures of your process? Still have that foam core? I'd love to see how you attacked this.
stay safe!

I've never fabbed anything more complex then a bracket here and there. This project seems pretty daunting. Do you happen to have any pictures of your process? Still have that foam core? I'd love to see how you attacked this.
stay safe!
I do have some pictures of the process. I am also getting ready to make a new version that takes into account those models with low exhausts. I have to modify the sides a bit to clear the O2 sensor. I also have a request for one that clears the sump extender. If all goes to plan, I'll have more pictures of that process as well.

Here is a pic of how I used the foam core to mock up the rock guard on the motorcycle.
Completed foam core

View attachment 22967

That sump guard looks great.

Back