• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2001 V11 Sport: Suddenly dropping idle issue

JBBenson

Just got it firing!
My V11 has developed an idle issue: it drops suddenly without warning, in traffic, or idling in the garage with a cooling fan. It also drops suddenly when coming to a stop and/or stopping. I have had the idle for a while at an indicated 1600 RPM, which considering tach error, should be about 1200.

Videos here:

Steady idle, then sudden drop:

http://vid48.photobu...opping_idle.mp4

Dropping, with throttle blip, steady idle, then sudden drop:

http://vid48.photobu...rottle_blip.mp4

Consider this:

2001 V11 Sport

6000 total miles.

New intake rubbers

New fuel filter

New air filter

Valves at .006" intake and .008" exhaust

Fast idle cam not interfering

Tightened up exhaust, no popping or surging

Upgraded head temperature sensor (all brass model)

Cleaned throttle bodies, butterflies, bleed screw ports.

Guzzitech ECU map to match Stucchi crossover and Mistral mufflers.

TPS: 150mV disconnected, 525mV connected

Throttles in perfect balance at idle and off idle 3500+ RPM

I have to say, the bike runs beautifully, pulling strong with a fat power band, no popping, surging or other issues (I worked those out already).....but WILL NOT GODDAMN IDLE.

I suspect a fuel pump issue, or other electrical issue. Coils? Ignition switch? The brass temp sensor is screwing things up?

Any other ideas?

You had mentioned that the brass temp sensor holder was added just before the issue arose. That would make it suspect, for sure. They work well on bikes that were set up from the factory with a map designed for that configuration, but more than a few have reported issues when switching to them later. It seems to be a bit of a roll of the dice. They certainly seem to give the sensor a different reading than with the plastic holder.
But, you might also have a bad sensor, like the temp sensor or the TPS. Other options are a poor electrical connection. Check your connections, including the ones to ground.

Sounds like a fuelling issue to me the way it hesitates, electrical is usually quite sudden. Does it run ok with the throttle held slightly open at say 2000rpm while stationary, if it does maybe look at the idle screw adjustment, good luck.
Kevin

Do you have software to see what the sensors are reading with the engine cold (switch on, but engine hasn't run that day), and then running (run long enough to get everything hot)? Those reading could tell a story.

No I am not set up with the software. If it would be available for Mac I might consider it.

I have a few suspect things to try first before going that route.

I would check me battery terminals are good before doing anything else

I'm having similar issues with my '02 V11 Lemans. Working my way through troubleshooting I replaced the cylinder head temp sensor but broke the plastic support. I replaced with the 'recommended' brass support and filled that with copper grease- another 'recommendation'. Still didn't resolve the 3k burps, surging, and idle drop....but at least it is happening with balanced TBs. Checked valves - they are to world spec. Cleaned TBs. TPS reset and carb balance. WOT the bikes goes well. Next will replace the air temp sensor in the airbox. Not sure where to go from there

Back