• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Motorcycle GPS units

DeadEye

GT Reference
GT di Razza Pura
Hello,

Has anyone picked up a Moto GPS unit ?
Thinking of picking one up because the MC units are rated for outdoor use, rain, sun, vibration, and larger than most phones !
Garmin and TomTom seem to be the brands.
Looking for some personal references based on your experience using one ?

Thanks
Don

I am looking to use it to plan out some routes, input/import routes from sites.

It’s fine sitting in front of the computer, finding a twisty route, but I’m No London cabbie, when it comes to memorizing a route that I’ll take 1 to x hours / days...

How does that one work :
- read ability - while riding
- with gloves
- ease of use

When the web site / vendor makes all those claim - sure it’s easy for them They built it !
How is it gonna be for my Mom to use... :rofl: ( NON technical )
[ not that she’ll ever see it ]

You can use Garmin BaseCamp to create routes and then download them onto the satnav :)

I've had several GPS units, they've all bit the dust one by one.

Do a search on Beeline, it's a small device that straps to your handlebars or whatever mount you want to use. It does use your mobile for navigation, but is not hungry on battery power like the Guzzi V85 version.

You can also use it on your bicycle, it knows where bicycles can go where motorcycles can't.

us.beeline.co

I've had several GPS units, they've all bit the dust one by one.
Maybe your Too Hard on your toys !
( Remind me not to lend you anything )

Well that’s no good all the Maps are UpSide down !!! :oops:
What if your “Allowed” to go where the bicycles go, once in a while?

Thanks, I’ll check out.

Cool but not Free ;)
With a metal case one would be 340 $Cdn + tax /import/ duty and still needs a phone with cell service.

Last edited:
You can use Garmin BaseCamp to create routes and then download them onto the satnav :)

The Garmin XT look pretty good with a lot of route options / off road support ( in the US)
TomTom Ride look good but I haven’t seen as much off road support and ride type ( published )
eg: twisty / Hilly support like the Garmin.

Have you tried any of those options ?
Do you have the XT or a 396 ?

The more I look at it ( although I’m cheap) the Garmin XT seems like the one to get...

You can add you own POI/WayPoints to the map and select them on the map to built a route...
( I think )

I have some input, but probably not worth waiting for me to find time to give it.

Have had Garmin and TomTom models. All are champions and goats depending on needs.

Will try to respond more helpfully soon, but if you see a deal on something you like, jump it.

Bill

The Garmin XT look pretty good with a lot of route options / off road support ( in the US)
TomTom Ride look good but I haven’t seen as much off road support and ride type ( published )
eg: twisty / Hilly support like the Garmin.

Have you tried any of those options ?
Do you have the XT or a 396 ?
I have the Garmin Zumo 595LM, not tried any of the others.

I use the scenic app for the iphone, map updates are consistent, app works on the ipad too (easier to create the route on a larger screen) so routes can be created and automatically saves to your iphone. If you are not following a route then the app records your trip and can be viewed and saved as a route. Good if you are in a group ride and you want to use the route again. Many other features too! The curvy and round trip options are really good. Designed by bikers for bikers.

It is a Lot of lira for something to put on the bike that is trying to Shake the &^*%*#@ out of everything on it...

That's 600 rides / uses to amortize the cost - over 12 Years !!!
2 rides a week - 6 months a year :(

Last edited:
I've been using a Kyocera Duraforce Pro phone for the past couple of years as my motorcycle navigation tool.
I don't have it turned on as a phone and there is no SIM card in it, I use it more like a table which has WiFi access only. I've downloaded a number of free mapping/navigation apps and have slowly tried them all out.

I just got back from a weeklong trip down into Copper Canyon and used OSMand for all the mapping, I was able to download the map for all of Mexico and this ended up working very well for us.

The Duraforce line are rugged phones, waterproof, vibration and heat resistant. You can pick them up cheap on eBay, I think I paid something like $35 for it. I liked it enough that I recently switched phone services to one that allows me to bring my own phone so I bought an unlocked version and now use it for everything.

FYI the touch screen worked with the gloves I was wearing for the trip, they were nothing special.

Informative link here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/ultra-rugged-kyocera-phones-gps-smartphones-my-guide.1206076/

My brother In law did the Copper Canyon tour train, said it was Great !
More - Pictures !

You must speak Spanish, to be wandering around down there :cool:
We have travelled with him a bit down there, and It was disconcerting to come upon an inspection station in the middle of nowhere, staffed with armed military personnel !

Last edited:
Back