• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Brake Caliper design

tris

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I've just been servicing the front 4 pot caliper on my Roamer
I have discovered that there is 1 big piston and 1 small one in each half

I assume that is so that each side one edge of the pad is advanced before the other, the small one would move first

The question is why would you want to do that

Mechanical Engineering!

They actually move at exactly the same time and rate, but at different force.

Physics: Larger piston exerts more force at a given pressure than a smaller diameter piston.

Now why would we want to intentionally establish this distributed force across the surface of the pad?

Because of the forces of the coefficient of friction (μ) in this rotational system, the resultant pressure across the thick and large pad is greater in the leading edge and less in the trailing edge. This causes the pad to want to turn inward from the moment [A moment is the turning effect of a force.] on the leading edge, and pull away on the trailing edge, thereby causing uneven and tapered wear.

The use of a smaller diameter piston at the side where the disc enters the brake pads will ensure uniformity in the pressure distribution on the brake pads and hence, even wear of the pad.

In technical jargon: When the thickness of the brake pad is large compared to its length, there will be higher wear on the leading end of the pad. The frictional force acting on the disc contact surface and the reaction at the abutment of the pad will result in a turning moment on the pad, leading to higher wear on the leading end.

The following figure explains the formation of uneven wear, and illustrates how a smaller diameter piston at the leading side makes the pressure distribution more uniform.

A7595368 2C10 4D6B A705 E77A1388A8A5

Last edited:
You are welcome Sir. My pleasure. I love stuff like this. One of my favorite books is this one which is highly technical but what fun it is to me!

Motorcycle Design and Technology Handbook, by Gaetano Coco (He was the Technical Director at Aprilia. A seriously smart engineer.)

D8234D43 7424 4766 A796 2BCDD53A6DC9

Todd (GTM) here is so lucky, because of his "Uncle Kevin". If I could, I would follow Kevin Cameron around all day to do nothing but talk and listen to him. He's a Tech God of the highest caliber and has my infinite respect !

33374537 6A2B 415A 921B 1DB8EF4337C5

Last edited:
I shall look out for that

Kevin Cameron (looks like the same guy) writes in Motorcycle Sport and Leisure over here every month, and along with Maynard Hershons pieces, is one of the first parts I read

Back