• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

v7 ii 2016 oil leak at the bottom of the cylinder and oil leak on the cylinder head tube

tikimatic

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hello.

I have two oil leaks. Leak A is on the bottom of the cylinder. And leak B is somewhere on the tube that goes into the left cylinder head.

Leak A : I'm not sure about the origin of the leak. Could it be the cylinder gasket that is leaking ? If that is the case I need to change the cylinder gasket I guess ? Is there some cool trick to do when replacing that gasket ? (I have read somewhere to use some copper based grease on the gasket when installing the new one, is that a good idea ?). Or could that leak be this : https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/th...-going-in-alternator-cover.18517/#post-150695 ?
Oil leakA 01 Oil leakA 02 Oil leakA 03 Oil leakA 04

Leak B : I had that leak since some time now but it got worse. The leak seem to be somewhere one the top of the tube. But honestly I have no idea. I don't know how I can fix that one at all. I need your help to know the next steps to fix that one.
Oil leakB 01 Oil leakB 02

And bonus question : what is the best way to clean that mess ? Can I use some dishwashing soap there (as that is pretty good for oily stuff)

This is not an easy repair. Also band type piston ring compressor is needed to put the cylinder back on. This may best be corrected at your dealer's shop. I wouldn't bother cleaning until the repair is made. Dish soap should do a good job of removing the oil.

Yeah I know it won't be an easy fix but that's ok. It is true that I'm kind of hesitant between doing it myself and sending the bike to a garage. I don't have experience with motorcycle motors but I'm used to repair all sort of things. I have good set of tools (dynamometric ones and so on), the factory documentation and internet ^^. I would like to attempt this myself to learn.

So, if you say this won't be an easy repair you think the leak A is very probably the bottom cylinder gasket leaking, right ? What about the leak B ?

I had the project to replace the piston and cylinders myself this winter with the guzzitech ones. Sort of hesitant on doing the whole thing myself mostly because this will be my first experience with that motor, and because I can't take the motor out of the bike but to my understanding all those can be done with leaving the motor on the bike, right ? I'm kind of afraid too if I need some very particular motoguzzi tools as I won't be able to create myself those (I don't have access to any metal working machines or welding machine). I need to have a second longer look at the factory documentation.

Could it be some oil pressure release valve that is stuffy and the oil try to find another way to release the pressure ?

I start to think the leak A is actually coming from the alternator cover like in the linked thread...
That is very possible. As for leak B, take the fuel tank and valve cover off and you may be able to see where the leak is from. Possible the vent hose has split and oil mist is escaping.

I've experienced leaks with the oil pressure switch. Indeed, on one of my bikes it fell apart and I had to remove it and replace it with a bolt from a local engineering shop. Far too much oil was squirting out.

I start to think the leak A is actually coming from the alternator cover like in the linked thread...

Hi,
That is sort of what I was thinking, but it is wetting to top as well running down the side.

It might not be a bad idea to clean if in an effort to try and get a better idea of where it’s coming from..

Don

That is very possible. As for leak B, take the fuel tank and valve cover off and you may be able to see where the leak is from. Possible the vent hose has split and oil mist is escaping.
Ok I'll do that.

Hi,
That is sort of what I was thinking, but it is wetting to top as well running down the side.

It might not be a bad idea to clean if in an effort to try and get a better idea of where it’s coming from..

Don
Yes exactly. Probability makes me believe it is the alternator cover (as many many ppl seem to have that issue). But the leak aspect make me think it could be the cylinders.

I cleaned it the best I could. There is no leak when the motor doesn't run at least. I need to go for a ride to see where that leak can come from but here in Finland it is already such a bad weather :( .

Ok I'll do that.

Yes exactly. Probability makes me believe it is the alternator cover (as many many ppl seem to have that issue). But the leak aspect make me think it could be the cylinders.

I cleaned it the best I could. There is no leak when the motor doesn't run at least. I need to go for a ride to see where that leak can come from but here in Finland it is already such a bad weather :( .
My V7ii leaked at the alternator cover which initially made me me think I had major issues. Find the rubber grommet on the cover where the wires come out. Go for a ride and have a look there. Clean it up first of course…

Back