• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Check engine light on before start up

Nedmac briskov

Fired up and twisty
Hello guzzistas, I’m at roughly 1400 miles on my new v85tt and I noticed the check engine light on when I initially turn the key, but once the bike is started, it goes away. Should this be any reason of concern? It’s currently cold for my morning commute in the 30s. the bike runs perfectly otherwise.

This happened on my old v7 the entire time I owned it. I assumed it was the oil pressure sensor, and it would go away once the bike was running. Would this be the same on the new bikes?

I don't know if your bike is similar in terms of dash lights, but on my V7 Cafe all six (6) dash light come on when I turn the key to "ON". After a second or so all lights go out except for oil, neutral and check engine lights. The check engine light will go out a second later leaving only the neutral and oil pressure lights on. I wait until this condition is reached before starting. But if I happen to start the bike before the check engine light goes out it will remain illuminated only momentarily after the engine starts.

So I would say your condition is normal, but someone with a V85TT will probably comment.

Jason

I think (but am no mechanic), that the light is on a pressure sensitive switch, so unless the engine is running, there is no oil pressure, only once it is running does it build pressure enabling the switch to turn the light off.

I just checked my 2021 Centenario V85TT. All of the indicator lights turn on during startup of the dash display. After the display is fully initialized, the check engine light (amber) glows steady until the engine is started. The ABS and traction control lights (both amber) flash until the bike moves enough to send wheel rotation signals to the control modules.

I’m absolutely sure it is fully explained in your OWNER’S MANUAL.
The owners manual is void of any explanation. As is the case with a lot of modern bikes. They just tell you to take it to a dealer. And if the light were on while running, that’s exactly what I’d do. But it appears to be a normal thing. I’ve noticed it comes on at start up when it’s extremely cold outside, and or after an oil change. It goes away after some time. So I’m not worried about it.

Hello guzzistas, I’m at roughly 1400 miles on my new v85tt and I noticed the check engine light on when I initially turn the key, but once the bike is started, it goes away. Should this be any reason of concern?…

The owners manual is void of any explanation.

Uh huh …

Page 70

People will spend tens of thousands of dollars on a modern motorcycle but will not take the 2 hours to actually READ the Owners Manual from cover to cover.

So much easier to bitch that something isn’t there when in fact, it really is there.

A46CFEEB 2FE9 49D1 B96F 92E37137D657

Last edited:
I’m an old school mechanic and the reason all the lights come on at initial ignition on, is a “bulb” check. If the light bulb had burned out, you’d never know when the “Check Engine” condition existed. This is for the rider to see that all indicator bulbs are functional.
You new school guys can decide if this same principle applies to LEDs and/or modern digital displays.

Correct. Same thing here.

Problem is, most guys, turn the power on and immediately hit the ignition switch.

You should wait 3 seconds for the self-check diagnostic to complete first before trying to start. Also, you should be looking at the display to verify all lights are lit up. 😄

LINER NOTE: Your name is familiar. Aren’t you the Luthier down by Cincinnati? Your name is unique like mine.

I’m up in Findlay. I’m sure I heard your name once or twice before at Guitar Ranch here in town maybe. 😁

Last edited:
Uh huh …

Page 70

People will spend tens of thousands of dollars on a modern motorcycle but will not take the 2 hours to actually READ the Owners Manual from cover to cover.

So much easier to bitch that something isn’t there when in fact, it really is there.

View attachment 24517
Not referring to the dash start up. The engine light alone stays on until the engine is actually started. This is not part of the start up sequence. And the manual literally says if this light comes on to take it to a dealer. But it’s not in while the bike is running. The manual does not state why this might happen. And it’s the fact that it’s inconsistent. If it’s something that always happened, I’d just assume it was how the bike operates. Likely that the oil pressure sensor only detects oil pressure when the bike is runnig. But sometimes it doesn’t come on at all. Still, may just be oil pressure.

Not referring to the dash start up. The engine light alone stays on until the engine is actually started. This is not part of the start up sequence. And the manual literally says if this light comes on to take it to a dealer. But it’s not in while the bike is running. The manual does not state why this might happen. And it’s the fact that it’s inconsistent. If it’s something that always happened, I’d just assume it was how the bike operates. Likely that the oil pressure sensor only detects oil pressure when the bike is runnig. But sometimes it doesn’t come on at all. Still, may just be oil pressure.

You will have to decide for yourself.

The book does specifically talk about oil pressure warnings and faults in the oil pressure sending circuit but you are not saying that you are receiving these errors. Maybe a dealer visit is indicated. Only you can decide.

Good luck and I hope you find the answer you are looking for.

Screen Shot 2022 03 24 at 21406 PM

Screen Shot 2022 03 24 at 21348 PM

Screen Shot 2022 03 24 at 21317 PM

Back