• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Cal1400 Rectifier / Stator replacement

Had a new generator installed - only took 45 days to get the part. Had the work done at Elk Grove Powersports, because they seemed familiar with the bike. A few things have come up since the repair (I just picked it up, drove through an hour of torrential downpour).

Thanks to all who tried to help me trouble shoot this. This whole thing has been a big turnoff from riding a guzzi. I think maybe the source of the electrical issue is the previous owner installed the halogen running lights, and maybe the splice is bad? I'll have to examine all the harnesses again when the rain stops.

Last edited:
Can someone tell me if I’m testing this wrong. Thought I’d torture myself by bench testing the pulled alternator. It measures only .075V DC. Drill isn’t very fast, so maybe this isn’t a good test ? By registering any value does that mean it works ?

Attachments

• 76265815-731F-4413-990C-7C2134D2A1A0.jpeg
    76265815-731F-4413-990C-7C2134D2A1A0.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 11
Not the best picture , looks like the leads attached are from a multi-meter , which if that's the case
where's the power coming from to activate the alternator .
For what it's worth my original alternator had the same (lowish) output readings , dropping to 13.6V with
a 45 watt heated vest . It all worked fine , but for a 550 watt alternator that was kinda low . Got a new
alternator under warranty and it became 13.9V , 14V with only stock draw . It started and ran fine with the
low reading , just it still bothers me that it's not around 14 and 1/2 volts . Peter

Last edited:
^^ Any further progress in your alternator test ? Peter

Thanks for checking in. I ended up just letting it go - the bike works well now, so it seemed like a waste of time to continue checking something after its been fixed! What is odd is that the battery shows 14.2 tested at the battery, but 13.9 on the display.

When I was looking into it a bit more, I found it odd that the alternator is charging the system, not through the 40A fuse, but through the 15A mini fuse that also leads to the horn and lights.

I'm planning a trip down to Baja with a friend, and decided to get rid of the Moto Guzzi (the lack of a broad dealer network is a big part of it.) I got a R1200GS Adventure, and just listed the Guzzi for sale!

Thanks for checking in. What is odd is that the battery shows 14.2 tested at the battery, but 13.9 on the display.
!

1. You should expect a small drop in voltage from the battery to other parts of the motorcycle due to some resistance in the cables.

2. You are using two different "voltmeters" in your comparison. Digital devices always imply a greater accuracy than they can resolve. Which one (if any) is right?

Back