• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

DISCONTINUED ALARIS/Centurion/VDSTS Info - Instructions

Re: VDSTS Info - Instructions

Waz,

The difference is that the 15M bikes are tuned with the air bypass screws open 1/2 turn. You go more for correct idle speed (1100-1150rpm), then set the TPS to the 3.6 degree setting. With the Cal Vin, set the TPS first, then use the air bypass screws to achieve the correct idle. I believe the difference is the 15RC uses the lambda so that the actual throttle angle is more important to everything and is isn't that important on the 15M as it is open loop. Just my theory.

Thanks John, much appreciated.

Stuck with this on my Jackal... The keyspan adapter (USA 19h) is configured to 'faster, FIFO is 63, the com port test passes.
I'm running Windows XP on a partition of a macbook. Brand new VSTS, but looks as if connections are good -scraped battery terminals anyway as I get the check conns warning, & unplugged & replugged everything, restarted software, etc. I can only see one possible connector to the ECU, it nestles in the frame just below with 3 wires from it, but doesn't seem to communicate -the software just keeps scanning ports after resting on a scan for COM 3 for a while. Anyone got any ideas?

Is the VDSTS version you have for the 15M ECU? I believe the connection cable has a tag for the version. And yes, on the Jackal the connector for communications is under the left side cover. Sorry I can't help you with MAC issues, to run VDSTS I just picked up an inexpensive reconditioned Dell laptop with XP Pro pre-installed.

Yes, 15M version -unless there's an incompatibility with the particular keyspan adapter, I can't see what the problem is... this is an intel mac, so windows is running properly on the partition. I'll take it to my brothers' when I've a chance, he has a laptop PC & won't mind me getting oil all over it. :woohoo:
The map I'm running is from a bike which didn't have the C0 adjusted though: is there likely to be an issue with this? (mine had it done for the H pipe, but not since I changed my silencers & air filter set-up)

DWRDeep said:
Yes, 15M version -unless there's an incompatibility with the particular keyspan adapter, I can't see what the problem is... this is an intel mac, so windows is running properly on the partition. I'll take it to my brothers' when I've a chance, he has a laptop PC & won't mind me getting oil all over it. :woohoo:
The map I'm running is from a bike which didn't have the C0 adjusted though: is there likely to be an issue with this? (mine had it done for the H pipe, but not since I changed my silencers & air filter set-up)

I'm afraid I can't say. If the mapping had been modified, I don't know what if any impact that may have had on the communication aspect of the ECU. I have come across a couple of ECUs that wouldn't "talk" with VDSTS, both were unmodified units, one a P8, the other a 15M. Never could find out why they wouldn't communicate with VDSTS.

As John says above, what do you mean by the ECU is "re-mapped?"
Generally speaking, re-mapping will not change the ability for VDST to communicate with the ECU. I've done a few myself (re-mapped) with no issues. I suspect it might be a (Mac) hard/software issue. Try pinging TechnoResearch direct about it.

Sorry for being unclear -
"The map I'm running is from a bike which didn't have the C0 adjusted though: is there likely to be an issue with this? (mine had it done for the H pipe, but not since I changed my silencers & air filter set-up)"
mapped via power commander, with the map you sent me, Todd -excellent change! Sorry, my query was perhaps off this topic -but could the power commander interfere with the vdsts?
I'll try asking TechnoResearch as you suggest, will get back to the forum if I get to the bottom of it, just for the knowledge base.

Not getting far with this -partly because everything outside is ice this week... over the weekend I resurrected an old PC & set it up on some breeze blocks in the garden (!) but got the same results -last suggestion from TR was to run a link in the software called VDSTS Updater... now why didn't I think of that?

DWRDeep said:
Sorry for being unclear - mapped via power commander, with the map you sent me, Todd -excellent change! Sorry, my query was perhaps off this topic -but could the power commander interfere with the vdsts?
No worries. It is impossible for the PC to "interfere" with the ECU. The operation of the PC is quite simple; Read the TPS, and change the open/close time of the injectors. The ECU does *not* know it's in place.
Keep us posted.

Installed on 3 pcs & updated (to version 3.01.854) on 2 computers now -one running xp & other Win7.
There are no missing pins, & the keyspan works fine with my Mac to an old Intuos graphics pad. The pc says the adapter is working, connected to com 3, but the VDST software simply cycles through ports, same warnings. Switched m/c off & on, re-started software, etc.
The only issue I can think of is that both the keyspan adapter & the vdst arrive to mate with each other by 2 prominent female threaded sockets rather than screws & sockets

5272633656_fd91dce1c8.jpg
. (expecting that this block is simply an adapter) I removed the extra section so that I could actually physically connect them

5272634042_a93e93d82e.jpg
I did the screws up to use it. Was this wrong?
I've cleaned the contacts on the bike though they look good.
Is there something else I can do?

It is not an adapter, it is the hardware key. It must be in place to be functional.

DOH! Thanks Todd.
I found an adapter lead with screws at both ends, went out in the snow & it connected immediately. Sometime after the ice melts, I'll get to the next stage...

My Bellagio has a 5AM brain. VSDS correctly recognised this and all it's pretty guages seem to work just fine. Magic.

Page 1 of this post says: " Press the dials button (Gauges/Meters) to display data including the TPS reading. Open the throttle progressively and the TPS reading should respond accordingly.
TPS settings:
5AM ECU; 2-valve motor: 4.5~4.7 degrees"

When I hook up and do the above it tells me that my TPS is set to 3.7 degrees at idle. If I perform the TPS Reset and follow the on screen instructions it still reads 3.7 degrees at idle.

I'm in the process of constructing a manometer to go the next step and actually twist a screw or two.
Bike is idling well, I'm happy with idle RPM. Bike did seem to accelerate better and run a little smoother after the reset.....All good!

My Question 1 is: Should I be worried about that 1 degree difference at idle ???????????? :blink:

Question 2 The Bellagio exhaust systems pipes join under the gearbox; there is a single lambda sensor in the midst of this plumbers nightmare, then the pipes separate again. If I connect an exhaust gas anal-yser to either pipe it could not give a true reading of that cylinder's gasses. One cylinder may be lean, the other rich and yet both may read correct. Is there a solution to this dilema???? :silly:

Attachments

• BellagioNightmare.jpg
    BellagioNightmare.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 2,038

delburnman said:
My Bellagio has a 5AM brain. VSDS correctly recognised this and all it's pretty guages seem to work just fine. Magic.
When I hook up and do the above it tells me that my TPS is set to 3.7 degrees at idle. If I perform the TPS Reset and follow the on screen instructions it still reads 3.7 degrees at idle.
Question 1 is: Should I be worried about that 1 degree difference at idle ???????????? :blink:
Question 2 The Bellagio exhaust systems pipes join under the gearbox; there is a single lambda sensor in the midst of this plumbers nightmare, then the pipes separate again. If I connect an exhaust gas anal-yser to either pipe it could not give a true reading of that cylinder's gasses. One cylinder may be lean, the other rich and yet both may read correct. Is there a solution to this dilema???? :silly:
Good, and perhaps not. I do not have the opportunity to even swing a leg over a Bellagio here in the States to be of help, so you are treading new waters for us.
Q1: If it runs good with the TPS reset, then 3.7º might be correct.
Q2: Your image references #8 & 9 as the factory location to sample the fueling. Is there one in each header pipe?

There is only one Lambda O2 sensor in the Bellagio at #19 in the drawing (a couple of inches after the headers converge). I'm assuming it reads both cylinders together and the ECU adjusts both EFI systems at once. ( Maybe??? it's fast enough to sample each exhaust pulse separately????? Doubt it tho).

The factory Bellagio Workshop manual states: "(TPS) value corresponding to the throttle when closed (approximate value between 4.5 and 4.9 degrees)(left throttle supported by the end of stroke screw). If a different value is read. it is necessary to activate the parameter "Throttle Position Autodetection" and obtain this value." I assume the last item is accessed with Axone??

So question is: doesit really matter if I read 3.7 instead of correct value? Being closed loop wouldn't the O2 sensor and ECU compensate for the slightly narrower throttle opening?

Noone nearby has an Axone (which is why I purchased VDSTS) I'd need to ride a hundred miles and pay a pro to connect an Axone: ........does "Throttle Position Autodetection" do something different from the "TPS Reset function" in VDSTS?

By the way Todd....you havn't lived if you havn't ridden a Bellagio!

Suggest you take Oprahs lead and head down under pronto. someone will lend you one I'm sure.

Bellagios are best!

:!: Think I may have discovered a clue to my non-resetting TPS.

Reading the Stelvio Service Station manual (which is a little more detailed in the Axone dept than the Bellagio manual): it suggests turning off the ignition for "At Least 30 seconds" when obtaining the TPS setting. I had followed the on-screen instructions on VDSTS which tell one to switch off for "13 seconds". I thought this an odd value at the time but obediantly used a stopwatch for 13 seconds. maybe wrong and insufficient time for a proper reset.

Will hook up again tonight and give it the extra 17 seconds!
Has anyone else been there done that????

:( I thought I was onto a lightbulb brainwave there but it didn't work!

Hooked the bike up to VDSDS, TPS = 3.7. Followed instructions and reset TPS, switching off ignition for 13 seconds as per on screen instructions: TPS = 3.7. Tried again, this time waiting 30 seconds: TPS = 3.3 ! Repeated process, TPS still = 3.3.

Stelvio Service manual says if it's not 4.7 +/- 0.2 then Control Unit (ECU) must be replaced. :woohoo:

Bike is still running well and idling like a charm so don't think I'll be lashing out for an ECU just yet..... but hope someone can explain what is happening and is there an easier cure than a new ECU??

DWRDeep said:
DOH! Thanks Todd.
I found an adapter lead with screws at both ends, went out in the snow & it connected immediately. Sometime after the ice melts, I'll get to the next stage...

-Just to update, this is like riding another (even better) bike! I'm delighted -no more pops & unexpected hesitancies in low revs, a clean surge of power -& over 53 mpg (British gallons). Thanks Todd, I'm really made up.

Now let's see what I can do with those oversize Konis next...

delburnman said:
Bike is still running well and idling like a charm so don't think I'll be lashing out for an ECU just yet..... but hope someone can explain what is happening and is there an easier cure than a new ECU??
I'd wager it can't be easily explained, so I'd say ride and enjoy it until something really goes south. :dry:

DWRDeep said:
Just to update, this is like riding another (even better) bike! I'm delighted -no more pops & unexpected hesitancies in low revs, a clean surge of power -& over 53 mpg (British gallons). Thanks Todd, I'm really made up.
Excellent, glad to be of help.

Back