• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Dealers and New Bikes

pokeyjoe

High Miler
This is a bit of a cross-post, so my apologies. Since the V7 has become a fairly popular bike, I thought a post here would be appropriate.

I've been reading through lots and lots of threads on wildguzzi and am astonished at the prevailing attitude in the forum. Most of those people believe that their bike - as delivered - is the way it should be. Factory fresh, pre-delivery inspection (PDI) complete, etc. In my experience, the dealer takes the bike out of the crate, puts the mirrors on it and sticks it in the showroom. Oh, and he charges as much as $500 for that service. I had to use a big pair of pliers to get the dipstick loose on my bike so I know the dealer didn't even check the oil.

Moto Guzzi has sufficient quality checks in place before the bikes go out the door. The bikes are pretty much OK when they leave and the dealer should catch anything amiss during PDI or at the first service. The problem I have is that if the dealer doesn't do anything to make sure the bike is setup correctly before it goes out the door, why would I let him do the first service?

So where does that leave the average buyer? I don't know. I guess you could demand proof that the bike was correctly setup. I'm not sure how that would work. I'd like to have the dealer reimburse me for having Todd set the bike up correctly for me. He checked the valves (too tight),the TPS sensor (way out of spec), and the throttle body sync (OK on this bike).

My message is that someone needs to go over your bike. Someone with the tools and knowledge to do a good job. Ideally, that would be the dealer, but its not always happening. I had Todd do it and, as a bonus, I had him load a richer fuel map as well. Does the bike run noticeably different? No, but I feel better about riding it. I know I'm not going to damage it due to the negligence of others.

I sure hope there are better dealers out there.

Yes like you say, if the bike has not been checked out initially then how can you have faith in future service. You are fortunate in having someone you could turn to who knew what they were doing. I guess this has to be the same for us all. Unfortunately also the technicological advance has made this even more difficult than before, theres allot to be said for simplisity. Thank fully Guzzitech is a great tool for advice but i'm thinking of making a 70's bike my next choice for reliability while continuing the quest to achieve it with the Griso.

So basically you're saying that the dealers should be able to provide a proper service with back up and not just be unit shifters? Quite right too, so only use dealers who can do that. The trouble is people want to buy cheap and the truth is you only ever get what you pay for. Nothing is free and no matter what the glossy adverts say you WILL pay for the freebees at some point. A good, knowledgable service department costs money, but in the long term it's worth it because good service generates business. Ask any BMW dealer. Relationships are all about trust, so if you can't find a Moto Guzzi dealer to meet that criteria go somewhere else and buy a Honda or whatever. Simple, init?

I bought my new V7C from the dealer and came back a week later to pick it up. I'm sure he didn't ready it for me during that time. The tires were at 20 psi, the gas tank was empty, the battery was showing 10.2 volts (without load), and the bike was filthy. I easily remedied all of that when I got home, but shouldn't have had to. But silly me, I brought the bike back a few weeks later for the 600 mile service. He charged me for 4 liters of 10W-60 (crankcase doesn't even hold 2 liters), charged me an hour of labor to perform the fuel tank check valve recall, lost my registration and insurance papers that were under the seat, and gouged me for a host of other non-essentials. Not only will I not step foot back into that dealership, but I am now advising everyone I know to avoid the place. It's really a pity. Fortunately there's another dealer an hour up the road who will be thrilled to have my business. By the way, the bike is awesome.

Contributors to this thread have given examples of some totally unacceptable service levels, but instead of putting up with bad service why not share your experiences and name the good and bad dealers? That way the good dealers get the customers and not so good at least get a chance to improve their service before losing business. Be prepared to back up your opinions with facts otherwise it just comes across as bitching.

I'm happy to start by naming a good dealer in the UK, Corsa Italiana.

Let's not get into dealer bashing please. We can keep it at "praise the good dealers" and by not even mentioning the bad guys then people in your area can figure it out.

Example being: I live in Gainesville FL USA. I do business with Riders Hill in Dahlonega GA. It is a 7 plus hour ride from here. There is a dealer in Tallahassee FL & another in Jacksonville FL but I've never done business with them so I have no opinion but would sure like to hear from other riders who have.

Now anyone can go to the Guzzi web site and find a list of dealers in my area and assume that if they haven't been mentioned I'm not thrilled with their service or attitude. Shoot me an email or private message and we can discuss it.

Will this work for everyone?

Trout

A primary reason I bought a V7 instead of a BMW was the ease of doing my own mechanical work.

The V7 is a great bike to work on. A joy, just like cars used to be years ago.

Mine hasn't been back to the dealer. Ever.

Yea, things went wrong. But you fix them.

And the new BMWs: Sad. No allowance for user maintenance. Nothing like the old R series of opposed twins (which made BMW great).

Sorry for the rant.

Trout said:
Will this work for everyone?
Not really. Unless there is some sort of a recall and I am entitled to some warranty work, I'll never go back to any of the dealers in the area. As was previously mentioned, I don't trust them. So your database is going to be weak unless everyone takes their bikes to the dealers all the time. Not gonna happen.

No need to bash dealers, just understand that they don't tend to be very thorough - especially on new bike delivery. They want that setup charge. They just don't want to earn it.

When I purchased my Triumph Tiger last year, I used a dealer almost 70 miles away. There are at least 4 that are closer, but reputation and service make a huge difference when paying for a new vehicle. When I collected the bike, almost every bolt had a chalk mark on it. The dealer explained they do this as they check the tightness of all bolts as part of the inspection. I was also shown that the tank was full of petrol and the dealer ran through all the switches and controls. Yes, we already know what they do, but it shows attention to detail.

Then I was advised to select a new T shirt from the shop display, for a photo with the new bike. The dealer has a huge wall of "happy snaps". Finally I was advised to take a run around the block and they would make any suspension adjustments necessary. I was also told the 600 mile service is free.

All these points show a level of care from the dealer that is above and beyond most "box shifters". After sales is just as good. If I book a service, I get a text message the day before as a reminder and a courtesy bike is provided. I had a warranty claim approved by the factory in 48 hours and the parts delivered after another 48 hours. And there is always free coffee. :D

OK, he wasn't the cheapest, but he is probably the best.

On Vancouver Island, the one dealer is appalling. My new bike was delivered with a big hunk of plastic bag melted onto the the header - It must have blown off of the bench when we were running the bike"... - bike was dirty, they couldn't seem to get the registration papers in order, they stock NOTHING for MGs, not even the lubricants, and they are pretty rude when asked anything. We got off to a bad start when I put a deposit on a 2010 model in Feb. of 2010, and I wound up accepting a 2009 model at $400 off because they couldn't supply any current model-year bikes. I did get a free center-stand kit as well, but they ordered the wrong one and it took months to sort out. They are not commited to supporting the marque at all.
My 2¢ for the morning.

Vee Too said:
When I purchased my Triumph Tiger last year, I used a dealer almost 70 miles away. There are at least 4 that are closer, but reputation and service make a huge difference when paying for a new vehicle. When I collected the bike, almost every bolt had a chalk mark on it. The dealer explained they do this as they check the tightness of all bolts as part of the inspection. I was also shown that the tank was full of petrol and the dealer ran through all the switches and controls. Yes, we already know what they do, but it shows attention to detail.

Then I was advised to select a new T shirt from the shop display, for a photo with the new bike. The dealer has a huge wall of "happy snaps". Finally I was advised to take a run around the block and they would make any suspension adjustments necessary. I was also told the 600 mile service is free.

All these points show a level of care from the dealer that is above and beyond most "box shifters". After sales is just as good. If I book a service, I get a text message the day before as a reminder and a courtesy bike is provided. I had a warranty claim approved by the factory in 48 hours and the parts delivered after another 48 hours. And there is always free coffee. :D

OK, he wasn't the cheapest, but he is probably the best.

This is what it should be.

Go back to the 50's, 60's & early 70's bike shops were mostly small, dimly lit & if you were "in" beer was served at 5pm with drinks starting after 8. Like today some shops had excellent service and others made you wonder how they kept the doors open. Nothing has really changed except the price tags and because of insurance you can't even get a beer anymore.

I went bike shopping a few weeks ago and out of the 5 dealers I stopped at I can honestly say I wouldn't buy a mini-bike from any of them. Many of the sales people didn't even ride and they sure as hell didn't want to talk about riding anything outside of their brand. They acted like they had stuff to do when they realized I was not buying yet when they walked away and sat down they went on line or played with the I-phone. Long ago bike shops used to be a place to just hang out & meet other bikers, learn stuff from the old guys, plan rides & dream. As long as you didn't bother the mechanic it was cool.

One way to change it is to complain to the supplier but even that can be a lesson in futility. That's why forums like this one are greatly needed and we need to use them by not supporting the poor ones & spreading the news about the good ones.

Yes, forums like this one are needed, but they are also part of the reason for the downfall of the little shops you described in the past. You used to have to frequent those shops for advice and parts and service. Now, thanks to the interweb, you can get advice and order parts online. All that is left is service. Since the dealers have such a poor reputation around here, we need to seek out the small shops. There aren't many. Especially for Guzzi. I found Todd and consider myself fortunate. A pub would be nice, but they tend to attract pirates.

Arrrrr You're right about the pirates me hearty, but they can be fun to watch.

Around here even the small shops stink. I went around trying to find an exhaust clamp for an old T3 and was told a hose clamp would work just fine, that bikes don't use them, try the lawn mower shop up the street....... there's talk that we are in a recession but I guess it don't affect the bike shops because they sure act like they got enough business.

What's the answer?

Trout said:
What's the answer?

42 (too easy).

I guess all we can really do is buy from the good small guy when we can. Encourage their existence, so to speak. I guess I bought my bike from the best dealer in the area, as sad as that sounds. I will continue to give them my business when I have to, but will do as much as I can myself and throw Todd a bone when I can't.

LongRanger said:
I bought my new V7C from the dealer and came back a week later to pick it up. I'm sure he didn't ready it for me during that time. The tires were at 20 psi, the gas tank was empty, the battery was showing 10.2 volts (without load), and the bike was filthy. I easily remedied all of that when I got home, but shouldn't have had to. But silly me, I brought the bike back a few weeks later for the 600 mile service. He charged me for 4 liters of 10W-60 (crankcase doesn't even hold 2 liters), charged me an hour of labor to perform the fuel tank check valve recall, lost my registration and insurance papers that were under the seat, and gouged me for a host of other non-essentials. Not only will I not step foot back into that dealership, but I am now advising everyone I know to avoid the place. It's really a pity. Fortunately there's another dealer an hour up the road who will be thrilled to have my business. By the way, the bike is awesome.

The recall is a zero cost item. The dealer you went to is an out and out crook. You need to complain directly to Piaggio - loudly - as well as let everyone know the dealer's name so that this particular dealer can be avoided.

I purchased my 7 B11 from Rosefarm Classics in Chicagoland. RFC is hands down one of the best dealers on the planet. The bike was delivered in perfect condition, both cosmetically and running order. Jim Barron the owner, goes through each bike he sells personally as soon as he gets them and set them up the way they should be.

I have bought new Guzzi from another dealer, and they did ok, but nothing like the attention to detail and passion that Rose Farm has for these bikes. I feel lucky as can be to live only 50 miles from such a great dealer.

LongRanger said:

Can you name the dealer so that no one else gets the fleecing you did?

Back