• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

How much better are the new V7C's?

Carl Allison said:
I know that there is a host of naysayers opining the lack of competitive horsepower in the Guzzi small blocks. That's as may be but from my point of view, the re-positioning of the power band on the new bike down to the legal speed area makes the bike a whole lot more useful/enjoyable.

Exactly what the point is in the NC - everybody here say how few 50hps are while all those who got the NC say how enjoyable it is in real life use. As for the V7, too few have it here and I have yet to read local opinions.
It still amazes me how different these similarly targeting bikes are.
One big difference is that the virtually 30 year old design of the Guzzi weights about 50!! kg less which is really a lot!
For me, this really shows how close to real life the original design has been all these years.
What is the "real life" riding consumption figures you get on the '13 V7?

What amazes me is that people continue to compare the NC700 to the V7 when the bike it is most similar to is the Triumph Scrambler - parallel twin with a 270° crank. Having owned a 2007 Scrambler, I can assure you that there is nothing similar between a V7 and a Scrambler. The Scrambler even has a bigger engine (same Bonneville comparisons apply). People just need to stop comparing and start riding. The bikes are different, they are not copies of each other. Move on. Nothing to see here.

Mi_ka said:
Carl Allison said:
<snip>What is the "real life" riding consumption figures you get on the '13 V7?

53-56mpg currently. Should improve a tad as it breaks in. I tend to ride with the rpm's between 4200 to 5000. There's less vibration there which I look upon as less energy dissipated into other motion than going forward.

Part of it too is that the Racer leans you forward some and I tend to lean forward quite a bit on the slab which reduces wind resistance considerably. The more upright position of the Classic and Stone will compromise fuel efficiency some but riding in a cafe crouch isn't for everyone so that's just going to be the way it is.

pokeyjoe said:
The bikes are different, they are not copies of each other. Move on. Nothing to see here.
Myself, I see two bikes aimed at being an easy everyday do-it-all bike.
One is a modern stylish retro made with the classic recipe and the other is a completely new design trying not to be colorless and tasteless.
Maybe over there you see the V7 as a hobby bike but over here it could very well be a daily commuter.
So, given the same scope of use, there is comparative thought to be spoken, at least by me.

Mi_ka said:
Maybe over there you see the V7 as a hobby bike but over here it could very well be a daily commuter.
So, given the same scope of use, there is comparative thought to be spoken, at least by me.
Mine IS a daily commuter. A very competent one, I might add. I drive a car once a week.

My thought was that the comparison should be made between similar bikes. The NC700 is closer to a Scrambler than it is to a V7.

I would suggest that buyers are attracted to the V7 variants and some of the Triumph range of motorcycles purely by the nostalgic appeal of their design. All V7's look small, have a low seat height and an apparently simple engine, all of which basically adds up to a user friendly motorcycle version of a scooter. The new Fiat 500, VW Beetle and BMW Mini models sell well by relating to past models even though they have no direct lineage. This nostalgic approach has stood Harley Davidson in good stead for more years than could reasonably have been expected. Find a simple design that works, build a cult around it then just sit back watch the cash roll in. They've only hit trouble when they tried to be clever or change something.

You'll notice that both Moto Guzzi and Triumph have produced relatively large capacity engines with power outputs which would be considered somewhat disappointing from any other manufacturer. This cannot have been entirely down to lack of engine development. Moto Guzzi would have known that these models would have more appeal to riders who place a sense of style over performance. As a result we have motorcycles that are adequate in most areas but extremely rewarding and fun to ride within their limits. What more could you want? Small improvements are the order of the day as has been seen with the new models, but these have probably been driven more by costs and legislation rather than a search for performance increases.

Paxo said:
You'll notice that both Moto Guzzi and Triumph have produced relatively large capacity engines with power outputs which would be considered somewhat disappointing from any other manufacturer.

Well, it seems MG has been among the trend setters these days:
The "brand new old" big casual roadster CB1100F '13 claims 87hps/7500rpm,93Nm/5000rpm from 1140cc at 247Kg (which seems quite low compared to its back then all-out superbike '83 CB1100F '83 "Bol D'or" ancestor that claimed 110hps/8500rpm,98Nm/7500rpm from 1062cc at 243Kg with the rpm numbers suggesting a much narrower power band of the old bike).
One logical fellow would argue that numbers are just numbers and what "real life" speeds torque feel and mpg is what matters most.
But this sounds so funny when we are talking about a big Japanese manufacturer's new creation...
This crowd always was snubbing the Guzzi's low numbers - what will they say now that the competing Griso 8V has 23hps and 15Nm more ?? Oh, I forget, they will say that the I4 engine smoothness prevails over the V2 pulses and that with a little modding the CB can get even and bla-bla-bla and there goes the thread again, sorry :oops: ...

Perhaps manufacturers have finally realised that your average bike rider has neither the opportunity or talent to use a bike producing 200 bhp. Could this be the first signs of motorcycles returning to the real world that most of us live in with speed limits and high insurance premiums?

Paxo said:
Perhaps manufacturers have finally realised that your average bike rider has neither the opportunity or talent to use a bike producing 200 bhp. Could this be the first signs of motorcycles returning to the real world that most of us live in with speed limits and high insurance premiums?

It's the buying public who feel they need a 200hp machine, not the manufactures. The manufacturers will build whatever the public will but.

Regards, Paul

Back