• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Stains in exhaust headers

Matias

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hello all,

After putting 1.000 km on my new Griso 1100 I noticed that some uggly stains started to appear on my beautiful exhaust headers :( ...
Is this a common situation? Any hints on how to remove these stains and prevent them to appear again?

Thanks all...

Matias

Quite normal on just about all recent Guzzis.
I use a product called Optiglanz to clean off.
Smells of almonds but doesn't do your skin a lot of good so use rubbery gloves.
Gordon

Thanks for the feed-back guys!

Two related questions:
- Gordon, do you know what kind of chemical this 'Optiglanz' is(or for what purpose it is produced...)? I wonder if I will be able to find it here in Europe... With chemicals I'm allways affraid of what will happen when they remain on the metal surface and get 'toasted'....
- jiltedjohn, when you use the fine steel wool do you notice any marks comparing the surface with the original polished finishing?

Thanks again....
Matias

The surface of the header is comparatively rough and stains easily. Any of the solutions (steel wool, Optiglanz, Simichrome, etc) polish the header until it is smooth and the stain comes off when you smooth up the surface. Any mild abrasive is suitable.

To add to above, polishing by hand or professionally will slow the discoloration process, but the quality of the stainless used means a chronic problem unfortunately.

I am as silly about shining up my vehicles as the next OC/AR guy, but must admit that I gave up long ago on blotchy pipes. They no longer bother me, and, in fact -- tho I know I am probably rationalizing my laziness :lol: -- add visual character.

Bill

Gordon said:
Quite normal on just about all recent Guzzis.
I use a product called Optiglanz to clean off.
Smells of almonds but doesn't do your skin a lot of good so use rubbery gloves.
Gordon

available from Hien Gericke in europe

This proves stainless does rust!!!! :lol:

Matias said:
Thanks for the feed-back guys!

Two related questions:
- Gordon, do you know what kind of chemical this 'Optiglanz' is(or for what purpose it is produced...)? I wonder if I will be able to find it here in Europe... With chemicals I'm allways affraid of what will happen when they remain on the metal surface and get 'toasted'....

Thanks again....
Matias
Googling "Optiglanz" will reveal all sorts of useful information.

I stopped cleaning my headers about 15K miles ago and now enjoy the free time to do other, more important things. While my 'liver spots' are relatively small and confined to the leading edge of the header, the gold hue the pipes have taken on is quite attractive in my book and I certainly don't want to remove that. When I polished my headers, I used a triangular head electric sanding tool with a sock boot to work the Blue Magic polishing cream . . . seemed to work very well.

actually some Hein Gericke shops in the UK do remain open after the whole firm went into administration and Optiglanz can be bought there.
I have used it to almost recover some dreadfully discoloured headers on a Breva.
As to time to do .. well for mildly stained pipes just spray it on, leave a couple of minutes and wash off.
I tend to use the rough side of a kitchen washing-up sponge to remove less easy stains.
Gordon

I thought every motorcycle headers get some "stains" due the hot .

If the pipes turn out too "blue " there should be a mixture air/fuel problem , usually too lean .

Is this correct ?

ARVENO said:
I thought every motorcycle headers get some "stains" due the hot .

If the pipes turn out too "blue " there should be a mixture air/fuel problem , usually too lean .

Is this correct ?

Yup. However, If you let the bike sit and idle too long, they will get blue (no cooling). I took my bike in for some warranty work and they let the bike sit and run for a long time to help diagnose the problem. When I got it back, the pipes were considerably bluer than when I dropped the bike off. Oh, well.

I took my bike in for some warranty work and they let the bike sit and run for a long time to help diagnose the problem. When I got it back, the pipes were considerably bluer than when I dropped the bike off. Oh, well.

Oh! that sucks....! :(

For $299.00 send them to Jet Hot and you have your choice of 3 finishes. After almost 4 years mine still look good. I have a friend with the green SE and he's having them done in satin black. Should look great.

tmag907 said:
For $299.00 send them to Jet Hot and you have your choice of 3 finishes. After almost 4 years mine still look good. I have a friend with the green SE and he's having them done in satin black. Should look great.

I live in Phoenix, and used JetHot to do my ZX14 headers, they took 4 months and ovalized (so I had sand and bend things) the headers and the extreme coating flaked off inside the headers. They offer a warranty but the service sucked.. wish I had somewhere else to recommend. it also did not reduce the heat in any noticeable way on my ZX14. So at don't spend extra on the Extreme coating because they obviously don't know how to bond the thicker coating to headers.

Back