• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

stock Griso

Goodvibes said:
I hop on, stab the button, and go. Hot or cold. Is this detrimental? Or are you referring to something different?
You live in a pretty temperate climate, as do I, but I'd still challenge you to a cold start and ride. There's really no trying to verbalize or convince anyone that doesn't think that a stock fueled bike can be transformed (even beyond ~40 pages combined of the ECU & PC-V threads). Enjoy your bike, glad to hear it.

Gotta be something wrong there Todd? I get temps here from -8*C to 40+*C and my old shitbox I can be astride it, press the button and it'll start, blip the throttle as I stuff it into first, release clutch, ride.

I've had a couple of 8V Norges that would fire up and then die the first time the throttle was touched but I think that was more to do with the early revolution super-rich parameters being wrong. Maybe a programming glitch with the ECU? Otherwise they all seem to just, well, y'know? 'Start!' ;)

Pete

I give up. If those who are happy with how their bike runs stock... good on you. Enjoy.

GT-Rx said:
Goodvibes said:
I hop on, stab the button, and go. Hot or cold. Is this detrimental? Or are you referring to something different?
You live in a pretty temperate climate, as do I, but I'd still challenge you to a cold start and ride. There's really no trying to verbalize or convince anyone that doesn't think that a stock fueled bike can be transformed (even beyond ~40 pages combined of the ECU & PC-V threads). Enjoy your bike, glad to hear it.
I guess what you mean is the cold ride off would be improved with the fueling tweaks etc. I can't argue with that since you've ridden both ways (stock v. improved) and I haven't. Wish I had access to a tweaked bike to compare the difference for myself. I never wrote that the Griso couldn't be improved; all I can write is that after 20K miles nothing ever compelled me to change anything (except maybe the new Norton Commando 961 Sport :eek:hmy: ). And that has nothing to do with your endeavors to pursue beyond-stock excellence for Guzzi machines. Those endeavors are deservingly appreciated.

There is a percentage of riders, regardless of whether it is a Guzzi, Ducati, or whatever, who do not change their bikes much, if at all, from stock. They leave the fueling stock and ride it that way and are perfectly happy. There are some bikes that in stock form are hard to be happy riding and the majority of owners make the required adjustments to get the fueling right. The current Guzzi's do not fall into that category. They work well enough stock for many owners to be happy with the way they fuel. The distinction is, in my opinion, while they CAN be made to work much better then as delivered stock they do not require those adjustments in order to work well enough for the average rider to be happy.
I rode mine stock, I added a slip on exhaust, then I went with the GTRx right side pipe followed by Todd's fueling kit. I am very happy with the way the bike runs now, but I was not dis-satisfied with the way it ran before. It does run dramatically better, but it was not at all unride-able before.
The question was as I recall, does the Griso NEED the money thrown at it to work. It does not. Many people ride it in stock form and are happy. Proper set up of the bike is crucial for that happyness.
It can be made noticeably better with modifications, especially if you want to run a louder more open exhaust. That is what I have done and think it was worth the effort. But I was already happy with my Griso before, I am just happier with it now.

GuzziMoto relates the exact same experience as I have had. I was extremely happy with my Griso right out of the box- I bought my bike from a great dealership with a great Guzzi mechanic (Guzzi Steve) so the bike was set up right - which obviously helps ;).
Unfortunately, I'm one of those individuals with "mod-itis" I have a very hard time leaving any vehicle bone stock. After browsing the forum for a while and having a discussion with Guzzi Steve concerning worthwhile mods for the Griso, I ended up with the full package from Todd: ECU re-flash, pipe/y-pipe, open air-box and finally PC-V with Auto tune running one of Todd's custom maps. It said volumes to me that Guzzi Steve gave Todd's modifications his "seal of approval".
These mods have only improved, what I already considered a good bike. Now I have a great bike.

GT-Rx said:
I give up. If those who are happy with how their bike runs stock... good on you. Enjoy.

Hey, don't give up on us.

Some of us old geezers like me compare our current rides to those from decades ago. (Anybody else remember carrying a nail file to dress the points on their old Triumph when it started missing in the middle of Nowhere USA?).

I'm at that point in my life where I put a great deal of value on time in the saddle and very little (if any) value on 'garage time' or tinkering. Every hour I have to mess with the bike means another 50-60 miles of lost riding time. If I get a bike that doesn't behave reasonably well in stock form it soon finds a new home. The Griso I have (stock except for the pipe) is a pleasure to ride and will likely maintain a place in my garage for several years.

Todd, having said that I do appreciate folks like you that continue to strive for better performance and evangelize the same. It's healthy for riding community and industry. And every now and then I do see something that gets my attention and I will grudgingly drag my butt into the garage to do the mod :?

I am going to take a different tack here, The stock fueling on the 8-v motors is not Horrendous depending on how good a rider you are, and how and where you ride. They will start and run at 10 degrees F, they WILL start and run sitting in the sun on a 90+ degree day (The charcoal can will cause a rare hot start hiccup)

Two of my bikes are stock, and one has a pcv and tuner, I fiddled just a bit to get it correct(my mistake with the afr map) but the stelvio is really a new animal below 5k rpm(and a good one), the cyl. heat is Even, and lower than it was, the flat spot at 4000 is gone.

Now to the rider part,
IF you have a steady well trained throttle hand you will not be displeased with the fueling
IF you are a CRUSIER Type you will be ok with it
IF the valves are set evenly and the sync is good you will be MORE Happy with it.
IF you RIDE like a DEMON in hilly VERY TIGHT TWISTY Mountain roads and keep the revs up where they belong you will be well pleased.
Long fast sweeping roads are just fine!
IF you short shift, use lots of engine braking and putter the fueling is just so so.
IF ride long straight flat highway roads, it is just fine.
If you put a few k on it in a year it will be fine.
If you just putter in town it is not great(ps you bought the wrong bike!)

FUELING is NOT the same for all riders and all riding situations! Run a well fueled track bike on the street a while and you will know what I mean. at the same time if you just do short rides, it is not so critical. AS the miles pile up and you get tired, the little glitches get a bit more obvious because you very often get beyond your smooth phase and a fine control gets worse as you get tired, so the small flaws start to show.

FUELING is like SUSPENSION, and BRAKES, The best you know is the best you have ridden

BY the way a short test ride on ANY GUZZI is not enough to judge one, you really have to have some time with it like at least a few hundred miles. They are different from any other maker, They tend to have a feel of impatience, and want to be ridden like you mean it.

All bikes have a temprament some more subtle than others....
Guzzi is like Ann Margaret, in a cocktail dress and work boots. :shock:.... syaing I really want you.

I think you can spend a lot of money making any bike perform better and as to how the bike performs from standard depends on what you have ridden in the past. The other thing is why are you buying a Guzzi, or for that matter any bike. I suppose for most Guzzi owners it is the look of the bike rather than the performance. There are a myriad of bikes that will out run a Guzzi.

For me, I have Bellagio and a Triumph Speed Triple 995. The Bellagio has the same capacity engine but the Bellagio will never be as fast on acceleration, handle better, brake better, have as good build quality and certainly is certainly not as reliable as the Triumph. The Triumph blows the Guzzi away in every respect logically.

However, I ride then Bellagio 99% of the time, all year round in the UK. I have a certain love/hate relationship with the bike. The Bellagio is an odd bike, it has a very revy short stroke engine that loves being in the top part of the engine range. I commute to work on it and it does everything I want from it in a less manic way than the Triumph and as I get older I am more than happy to potter around as well as have the odd blast. Also it does not cripple my knees like the Triumph!

I must admit the big problem with the Bellagio was the fueling at 4k rpm and below it could be very snatchy and lumpy. I thought about Todd’s mods with the excellent reports and write ups but the cost was prohibitive with the shipping and UK tax (its OK for you guys in the US!). I was considering getting rid of the Guzzi. I was offered a trial of a Finebau Forge Corsa Corta O2 optimiser which did cure the problem totally and give a boost in the rev range below 4k. This is not a plug for the product and I have no financial connection with the company, but it might help UK owners or European owners.

pulled the trigger on Griso, delivery is tomorrow. wish me luck.

Back