• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Bellagio 17" front wheel

ghezzi

High Miler
GT Contributor
Anybody done this mod yet.

So far I have fitted a Griso rear shock which is 7.5mm longer, if sag and set-up remain equal the rocker ratio of rear linkage would have ride height (measured vertically at rear axle) increase of approx 22mm. (I'm guestimating the ratio is 3:1, anybody know for sure?)

I've also dropped the front end 10mm (forks raised thru triple clamps) and the bike turns much better. Current tyres are Avon Storms, rock hard and very round profile, will change to Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's with the new BST carbons ........................ if I get them.

If I fit the 17" front wheel, there is a 22mm difference in Dia (11mm radius) between Michelins 17" 2CT and their 18" Pilot Road 3 (no idea on the 18" Avon Dia.)
So setting my forks back to their original height should offset the wheel size effects.

However, just wondering if anybody has done this or similar excercise?

Tone in the UK has the 17 inch cast griso wheel fitted to his bike. You might be able to get hold of himm either on the MGCGB site or on the Bellagio facebook page.

I know quit afew who have dropped the front forks to improve the handling.

Dropping the forks (as in sliding the triple clamps down the fork tubes so that more of the tubes stick up above the top triple) steepens the rake, but reduces the trail.
Basics of those adjustments are as follows.
Steeper rake means quicker steering and slightly (very slightly) more weight on the front end.
Less trail means lighter steering but the trade off is less stability.
There is more to it than that but that gets the basics.
Rake and trail are are not strictly a matter of more (or less) is better. There is a balance to them, too much trail can make the steering heavy and too little can make it unstable. Rake is much the same.
In the end, if you want to drop the front end I would do it a little at a time and see how it feels.

Just a little more tech, and experience..........................
I have Tony Foales Suspension Kinemetrics program, applied it to my 2001 Cali Stone.
Standard rake was 28*, raising the rear by 1" longer shocks reduced the rake to 27*
Dropping the triple clamps 13mm reduced the rake to 26.6 degrees. I cannot remember the trail.
Anyhow it steered beautifully in the tight stuff, never any wobbles, shakes or tank slappers.

Bellagio appears to have same figures as Cali, 28 degree rake and 92mm trail.
I've dropped my triple clamps 10mm and raised the rear by way of a 7.5mm longer Griso shock.
I've not measured it but rocker ratio would have approx 3:1 = 22.5mm rise at the rear above the axle. No handling issues other than piss poor damping control.

If the chicken strip on your front tyre is much wider than the rear strip, it may, IT MAY! indicate rear ride height needs to be increased.

Back