• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Harness almost "on fire"

der_Thomas

Just got it firing!
Hey there,

my Bellagio was holding a new surprises for me.
There are two yellow wires leading from the generator to the regulator, both positive I think.
The connector between them is not looking very good.
The white housing of the connector seems to be brown inside.
First 5mm from the yellow cables comming out of the connector also aren't yellow anymore but nice brown and the surfaces of the wires feel hard like plastic.
To make it perfect, I can't disconnect the connector anymore.
I guess that the pins inside are nearly molten and I ask myself why.

In the manual guzzi says the generator brings it up to 350W.
That means nearly 30A in a 12V power supply but this shouldn't be a problem for two 2.5mm² cables, should it?
Or am I wrong and the generator gets its minus over one yellow wire and not about the frame?
Then I would understand the problem because 30A for one single 2.5mm² would be a little bit to much.

Does anybody here knows anything about this problem?

Greetings,
Thomas

It isn't a generator, it is an alternator. The two yellow wires carry AC voltage. That voltage can get to 80VAC and it is rectified and regulated to the max output of 350 watts at 12 volts. Do what you can to disconnect and clean connectors. Worst case will require replacement of the stator and/or regulator/rectifier as the wires are integral to these units.

This is a common concern in lots of different brands and is generally caused by poor connections at the plug. Get a reputable auto electrician to cut the plugs off and replace with something more up to the job. Then check the charging system works correctly. It is very unlikely a fault in the charging system will do this. Alternatly you could join the wires and solder them to check the charging but really need a plug fitted.
If the system was over charging your battery would be knackered or flat or some globes may have blown and this would have made it easier on the plugs in question\.
Cheers

Things are a bit deceiving:
Minor surface rusting or some slack on the connector pins could put there say just a quarter of an ohm of resistance.
Continuous 8Amps (for some normal 100W load) through 0.25 ohm means .... (drum roll) .... 16 watts on the connector! That's enough to slowly fry plastic things and cause cable insulation to become brittle over time... Also, there will be 2 volts of voltage drop across such a connection so 15 nice volts from the alternator are becoming 13 volts after the connector and along other drops in the way can make the electronics start to misbehave as loads come in and out particularly when the battery has passed its prime.

I know first hand as I had to disassemble half an Elefant 750 in hot weather 15 years ago before I discovered a semi melted fuse box slowly starving the electrics from generated power feed. One of the most beautiful aspects of European vehicle electrics that persists to modern times (...ok most european cars have gotten better nowadays).

Hello,

thanks for the answers.
Of course I ment the alternator, I just thought it would be "generator" in english too.
Tomorrow I will replace the connector by some crimp connectors with a shrinking hose over each.
Alternataor and regulator can't be changed then as easy as now but better an undetachable connection than a burning bike ;)
On wednesday night two friends and me want to go to norway for nine days with our bikes, so I better hurry up :silly:

Bye,
Thomas

Hello,

I just repaired the harness and I found out one interesting fact: The wires from the alternator up to the connector are 2.5mm² and from the connector to the regulator 4.0mm² :huh:.
The pins on the 2.5mm²-side got too warm.
It looked really bad, so I am glad that I repaired it before the trip to norway.
Here are some pictures of the connector and how I fixed it.

Brown cables and connector:

Connector part one

Connector part two:

Regulator with crimp connectors:

Connected wires:

Shrinked crimp connectors:

Finaly some electrical tape:

Greetings,
Thomas

Thats horrific, I would have thought that is about as bad as it gets without being a full blown fire. Thanks for the pics.

Hey there,

few days ago I contacted Guzzi/Piaggio and sent them some pictures of the charred connector.
Today an e-mail with arrived me. They already know this problem but the solution is just rubbish. Not everybody is bringing his bike regularly to an official Guzzi-dealer for maintainance... .
They better should use a reliable connector.
Well, OK, here is the english translation of the e-mail. The original message in german is added below.

Greetings,
Thomas

Dear Mr .Ruck,

thank you for your request.
Unfortunately the connector you are talking about can overheat under specific circumstances, when contact resistance is getting too high. To avoid this problem, the connector should be disconnected, cleaned and be treated with special dielectric maintenance products at a distance of 2 years. According to that, we sent a technical description to all our dealers in 2010, regarding the motorcycles with 750 ccm- engine (which have the same electric loading system and the same connector).
We regret any inconvenience caused and ask them to apologize. For further questions we are happy to help you.

Sincere Regards,

Piaggio Online Customer Service

Guten Tag Herr Ruck,
vielen Dank für Ihre Anfrage.
Der von Ihnen genannte Stecker kann leider unter bestimmten Bedingungen überhitzen, wenn die Übergangswiderstände zu hoch werden. Um dies zu vermeiden sollte man diesen Stecker circa alle zwei Jahre trennen, reinigen und mit einem neutralen dielektrischem Pflegemittel behandeln.
Eine entsprechende technische Information wurde im Jahr 2010 an unsere Vertragshändler ausgegeben, allerdings die 750ccm Fahrzeuge betreffend (jedoch mit gleichem Ladesystem und gleichem Stecker).
Wir bedauern die Ihnen entstandenen Unannehmlichkeiten und bitten diese zu entschuldigen.
Für weitere Fragen stehen wir Ihnen gerne zur Verfügung.
Freundliche Grüße

Piaggio Online Kundendienst

Back