• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

'08 Norge will idle okay when sitting in full sun but dog out when twisting the throttle.

Dycokac

Tuned and Synch'ed
I've experienced this after work since the bike sits in the full sun in the afternoon but last weekend when it was so warm here in the Midwest i went to start it up after sitting in the morning sun and it actually stalled out on me after trying to coax it into running.

I store it in the garage at home and never experience this when starting it up for a ride, but have had some issues in the past when it's been really warm when i stop for fuel and then go to restart it after filling the tank.

Do I need to look at balancing the throttle bodies, or some seals in the throttle bodies? I did notice a gas smell but didn't notice any significate loss of fuel from the tank.

This old gal did a great job running 700 miles last weekend in some pretty warm temps but she is getting vintage :).

Thanks in advance with suggestions for this behavior.

Possibly you are over filling the tank and liquid gas is flowing towards the evaporative emissions setup / charcoal canister? This will cause the issues you are stating. Also, when the tank gets hit from sitting in the hot sun, the gas tank will generate a ton of gas fumes which go into the same evaporative emissions / charcoal canister system.

When start her from the coolness of your garage, these excessive fumes don’t exist.

I don’t know the current status of your motorcycle 15 years after manufacture. Do you?

Also sitting in the sun will play havoc on the temperature sensors. They will be giving higher readings which impact fueling. This was well covered in the past. Once you get moving and have some air flow the sensors should start to give proper readings and you should be OK. Scott is spot on about your smelling gas fumes.

Hmm. My Norge is the Metallic Black color, but I'm sure that only provides a marginal difference to tank contents temperature. I almost always have a tank bag sitting on it and I've noticed some kind of moisture under the bag around the fuel cap. Maybe I should look at putting some piping under the tank bag to provide an open air channel to vent those fumes rather than being trapped and condensing there.

When fueling the cut off usually stops it about an half inch or so from the hole, and I don't think I've put more than 5 and a half gallons into it.

I only have about a quarter of a tank in it today so I'll take note when I leave work to see if it acts up. Will even try removing the tank bag one day this week, though over the weekend I removed the tank bag over night and I think had about half a tank as we didn't fuel up before stopping for the night.

Are EVAP canisters a usual replacement part I should consider changing? Hadn't really considered them to be a thing that would necessarily clog.

other than that I've noticed some build up of oil on the top end, and was planning on replacing some of the hosing under the Tank. I have found oil in the airbox previously so me or the mechanic before me must have over filled it during an oil change in the past or something.

I was reading another thread in here pretty recently that commented on these are getting to be 15 year old bikes... I do love riding it!

Also sitting in the sun will play havoc on the temperature sensors. They will be giving higher readings which impact fueling. This was well covered in the past. Once you get moving and have some air flow the sensors should start to give proper readings and you should be OK. Scott is spot on about your smelling gas fumes.
So it's mostly acting normal then for the conditions it's experiencing?

EVAP parts are not normal service items. They don’t normally require renewal.

If you are smelling fumes, they are most likely not coming from under the tank bag. Not unless your rubber seal in the fuel bung is decayed or ripped.

Take off the seat and you should see the lines running towards the back end where the charcoal canister sits. As a last ditch effort, you may wish to disconnect the canister and turn it upside down to verify no liquid gas has made its way back there. It’s not normal but I have seen it happen.

Yes, never over fill the fuel in those modern bikes. They even repeatedly admonish you about this in the Owner’s Manual.

If I may ask: what is considered overfilling? If the gas level is ~ ½ inch below the bottom edge of the filling hole - so still room above the liquid - is this OK, or not so much any more?

Back