• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

1100 breva dash code problem ?

tomrobb

Just got it firing!
I have a 2006, 1100 breva with a code problem on the dash can anyone help? When the bike is powered up dash reacts as normal wipes the clocks and asks for the code i have entered the codes 00000, 36421, 36424, 28315,(these being the service codes and the get you home code) but none of them get me into the next stage. It looks like the system is not recognise the key also the flashing warning light comes on i dont know if this has any effect on the code problem. Has anyone an ideas.
Tom Robb.

Have you had the bike since new?

Some people put the last 5 numbers of their VIN for the code so you can always try that.

I've heard that the request for the code can be a result of trying to start the bike before the prestart sequence the bike goes through is completed but I'm not sure that's the case.

In 3 years I've only been asked for the code once on my 1200 Sport but have no idea what brought that up.

The antenna that reads the chip in the key may have failed. If you aren't the original owner, see if you have the owners manual, hopefully the original owner wrote it in the book somewhere. Just out of curiosity, have you tried the second key?

Thanks for the help guys i have tried all the factory codes that i listed but none have any effect i think the problem lies with the key and the immobilizer,i have not tried the second key because it cant be found. Is there any way i can get into the system to reset the key codes because i think the chances of me getting the original code is very slim, there has to be some way to reset the dash. This Breva belongs to a friend of mine who when the problems with the dash started took it to two different Guzzi dealers who farted about charged money and left the bike the way it was,i think the first problem was the plug caps (none of the dealers looked at the caps i replaced them when he brought the bike to me) because he reported the dash just flashing up lights randomly. Just to let you know the bike runs as normal when the dash is unplugged so the systems on the bike seem to be working fine.
Tomrobb

Check the immobilizer antenna. You can get the parts manual from the downloads section of this site. Once that is working and you find the second key you can change the user code. As far as I know, it is not possible to unlock the dash, your only option if it isn't the antenna, is to replace the dash.

After 8 weeks trying to get the ignition antenna it finally came so i fitted it but alas no difference cannot get past the code thing so i am behind the 8 ball again, the only other thing that is when the bike is switched of the warning triangle light flashes all the time could anyone tell me why it does this, is it normal to do this or is it some kind of fault (the light also flashes when keys are out of the ignition) ?
Tom Robb.

tomrobb said:
After 8 weeks trying to get the ignition antenna it finally came so i fitted it but alas no difference cannot get past the code thing so i am behind the 8 ball again, the only other thing that is when the bike is switched of the warning triangle light flashes all the time could anyone tell me why it does this, is it normal to do this or is it some kind of fault (the light also flashes when keys are out of the ignition) ?
Tom Robb.

The warning triangle is not normal. I think you are now at the point that we can't help you. There is only so much we can do without being able to put hands on the machine. I suggest you get the bike to a dealer.

tomrobb said:
asks for the code

Hi Tom, The code? There is no "the code". There is the service code established by MG for the model and the User code is established by you, the user. What does you dash say, exactly? Do you have two keys? Have you entered your own personal User Code? Does the bike run? The warning may or may not be related...

I had the same problem with my second key. I learned from the forum and user manual that I needed to "memorize" it, but couldn't do that procedure till I created and entered my user code.

Todd recommends you use the service code so that is easy to remember and easy to guess if a new owner doesn't get the code from you when sold.

Rafael said:
tomrobb said:
asks for the code

Todd recommends you use the service code so that is easy to remember and easy to guess if a new owner doesn't get the code from you when sold.
I use my DOB (1st 5 digits), easy for me to remember, but not much help if I sold the bike on.
This was suggested by my dealer, he does this on all the bikes he sells.

Just to clear up where i am at with this dash problem, first of i have been working on all types of motorcycles for a few years now so i have a fairly good understanding of the way bikes work and most things to do with them. This bike belongs to a friend of mine he had a dash problem and he took the bike to the local dealer where they checked the wiring out repaired a short circuit at a push in connector and put on a new dash all worked ok for a while the dash then started to go a bit funny with throwing up gobbletygook, at this stage he took the dash of and brought the bike to me.I gave it a look over and found one of the orignal spark plug caps had wore through the insulation and was shorting out i thought this was the problem.The dealer he took the bike to has lost the second key so i cannot run any checks in that reguard,i believe the dash throws up the the service codes and problems with engine sensors if there is any, is there any diagnostic program that i can plug into the bike to find out what is wrong or to change the key codes?I will run you through what is happening when the thing is connected up.
When you put the dash on the bike and connect up the battery the bike goes through then set up procedure and every thing looks as it should, turn on the ignition the dash lights comes, on Moto Guzzi logo comes on and the bike requests you to insert the code (this is the personal code which is usually 5 zeros)which i do then the bike tells me i have the incorrect code.When the bike is switched of at this time the warning triangle flashes and continues to flash even when the key is withdrawn the only time the warning goes of is when you switch the key on, is this the way the thing normaly works ? When i disconnect the dash the bike starts and appears runs as normal, Is there any way to get the dash checked because i do not want to buy a new one until i am sure that the dash is the problem, i suppose the best way to check it would be to put it in onto another Breva but would the dash normaly work on another bike or would i have the same code problems.Is there any way i can reset the dash code?
Thankyou Tom Robb.

There is software to look at the ECU/dash functions (VDSTS ir Ducatidig) but it does not help with the key issue.
From your last post, it appears to be a new dash and it should be asking for a new user code. The procedure for inserting the new code is in the owners manual. Also I believe it is in the General service manual for the 1100 Breva in the downloads section. That procedure is the same for all bikes with the 5AM ECU. Also it does sound like the bike may have a wiring harness problem.

The reason why it is telling you that you have entered the incorrect code is because you have. The user code is chosen by the bike's owner when new. If you don't have the second key and and don't know the code that has been inserted you're stuffed. If you can find the second key you can go through the 'Code Recovery' process to change the code. With only one key you can't.

The fact that it is asking you for the code is because it is not recognising the key. This is most likely because the antenna is bust or un-plugged. The flashing triangle when the key is removed is normal. It is simply showing that the imobillizer is working.

tomrobb said:
The dealer he took the bike to has lost the second key

Seems to me that the dealer is responsible for replacing the key. Replacement not only entails the key and cutting but programming the key to the dash. If there turns out to be a problem with the dash, the diagnostic time should not be charged. One possibility to replace the lost key is to have the key cloned, but that only works if the key has already been programmed to the dash.

Swapping the dash with another Breva won't work straight away. It would have to have two keys and a known user code to reprogram the dash being tested to recognize the bikes keys.

It's possible that the dash does not recognize the key because it was the second key that was never programmed or 'memorized' by the first owner. Did both keys make the bike run without the dash asking for the insertion the user code prior the the key being lost?

Back