• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

1200 Sport 4v work stand?

Riversider

Just got it firing!
Does anyone know of a bike stand / work stand that will support the 4v 1200 Sport in my garage? There is one available for the Griso, but I cannot find anything for the Sport.

I'm reluctant to fit a centre stand to make the bike heavier than it already is, but that may be the only solution for servicing and wheel changes etc, unless someone knows different.

Riversider (in Scotland)

I'm looking for one too-it seems a fruitless search so for.

I will try to get into a local engineering shop to see if they can find a solution to this, as I don't want to fit a centre stand either.

I'll let you know.

Riversider said:
Does anyone know of a bike stand / work stand that will support the 4v 1200 Sport in my garage? There is one available for the Griso, but I cannot find anything for the Sport.

I'm reluctant to fit a centre stand to make the bike heavier than it already is, but that may be the only solution for servicing and wheel changes etc, unless someone knows different.

Riversider (in Scotland)

Considering what the bike already weighs, the center stand is negligible. You won't notice the extra weight. Just trim down the rubber bumper so you still have good cornering clearance. Personally, I don't want a bike without a center stand.

I made one, by extending a standard swing arm stand. It attaches to bobbins mounted to the bottom of the pillion footrests.

SportonPaddockStands-2.jpg
[/URL]

Works well, I have three 1200 Sports modified to fit this stand.

kiwi dave said:
I made one, by extending a standard swing arm stand. It attaches to bobbins mounted to the bottom of the pillion footrests.

SportonPaddockStands-2.jpg
[/URL]

Works well, I have three 1200 Sports modified to fit this stand.

If you have a tire problem out on the road, how do you get a wheel off? Center stand cures many issues with maintenance.

John, the original post indicated he didn't want to fit a center stand. Neither do I.

There are times when a center stand is valid (I have them on my 1100 Brevas and Norge), but they can be a pain in the butt too.

My solution was for home servicing and replacing tires (generally, I do not let tire shops anywhere near my bike). Even if I did have a center stand, I would not be removing my tire on the road. That's what mobile phones are for.

kiwi dave said:
John, the original post indicated he didn't want to fit a center stand. Neither do I.

There are times when a center stand is valid (I have them on my 1100 Brevas and Norge), but they can be a pain in the butt too.

My solution was for home servicing and replacing tires (generally, I do not let tire shops anywhere near my bike). Even if I did have a center stand, I would not be removing my tire on the road. That's what mobile phones are for.

Just to relay experience, my wife's bike got a flat in the middle of nowhere West Virginia. It was much easier to remove the wheel, strap it to my bike and get it repaired than to transport the entire bike. Of course that was before cell phones. Again the choice of having a center stand or not is the owners. Just trying to illustrate the benefit of the center stand.

For that I carry a repair kit. Easier to do in the middle of no where and works without removing the tire.

Thanks Kiwi Dave. Never thought of that as a solution. I have a couple of these knocking about in the depths of the garage, an able grinder and my brother can weld.

GuzziMoto said:
For that I carry a repair kit. Easier to do in the middle of no where and works without removing the tire.

That type of fix is subject to fail due to the flexing of the tread area. Might be good enough to get you to a repair shop though. An internal patch plug is the only reliable tubeless repair, unfortunately many shops won't use them. BTW, When I was a demo rider for MGNA I got a flat on a Demo California rear tire during the Honda Hoot several years ago. Had to ride the bike back to the rally site about 5 miles with a flat. Big piece of steel. No way a plug could have been used. Tire had to be replaced. Thanks to the Cali having a center stand, we could remove the wheel in the parking lot and get a tire put on.

On a similar note, I am looking for a stand that will fit into the tubes on each side, just below the saddle. I built a simple T-stand that bolts into some threaded mounts on the engine block to support the front during fork work. Now i'm digging into the rear for shock replacement and swingarm bearing maintenance. That tube seems like it would be a good place to support the remainder of the weight. It will need to be offset slightly so as to not block access to the swing arm shaft.
Anyone seen or heard of something like that?

On a similar note, I am looking for a stand that will fit into the tubes on each side, just below the saddle. I built a simple T-stand that bolts into some threaded mounts on the engine block to support the front during fork work. Now i'm digging into the rear for shock replacement and swingarm bearing maintenance. That tube seems like it would be a good place to support the remainder of the weight. It will need to be offset slightly so as to not block access to the swing arm shaft.
Anyone seen or heard of something like that?

Not a good idea for the Breva/Sport/Norge. The pork chops have to be removed to access the swing arm bearings. Also the chrome piece in the pork chop is not the same diameter as the tube and would probably break if the bike was to be supported that way. It is not the same design as the spine frame bikes. I would recommend just using a sturdy front wheel chock and jacking up the rear from the engine pan using a scissors jack.

I have the center stand.
I'm going deeper than the center stand is practical. With the forks off u had to build a stand for the front. I bolted a couple blocks of wood to the front of the engine block. Then for rear suspension work at the same time a sawhorse was built to fit under The wheel well after the tire was removed. Not ideal, but it worked.

You do realize that Stein Dinse sells the center stand for the 1200 Sport? I bought mine and it was a perfect fit.

It does not affect handling and is supremely convenient.
Thanks for the info, I went to the site and there was no stand listed for the 1200 sport. Curious if you might have a link to the stand. Thanks

Thanks for the info, I went to the site and there was no stand listed for the 1200 sport. Curious if you might have a link to the stand. Thanks

Yes there is. You didn’t look correctly.

It’s called the “Main Stand”.

Search Part # 978410 in the search box.

It pops right up. Enjoy.

Quick cheap tip for somebody that doesn't want a center stand. I carry a dollar store adjustable aluminum cane to do road side wheel removal. it weighs nothing and costed me $4 Canadian. Just put the bike on the side stand and tilt it a bit further to lift the rear or front wheel, jam the cane under whatever spot on the right hand side of the bike that is convenient and that's it. It's got a nice rubber foot and is pretty sturdy. Good enough for a quick fix. You might want to chock the front wheel, put a velcro strap around you front brake lever and/or put the bike in gear, but it works. I got the idea from the ADV Rider forum.

Last edited:
You might want to chock the front wheel, put a velcro strap around you front brake lever and/or put the bike in gear, but it works. I got the idea from the ADV Rider forum.

And pray like hell nothing slips while you are wrestling the wheel off and on!

I'm sorry, but I would never recommend doing this. The potential for an expensive disaster is a very real possibility, when you're doing wacky improvisation stuff like this. It's also a very real possibility that the bike could fall on you!

If you want a center stand, get a proper center stand. They are worth the money.

Besides, anybody who is worried about the 10 lbs of center stand affecting handling on a 1200 Sport, is a poser. The bike is so hefty to begin with, 10 lbs will make no difference at all, and I can ride a tire to its tread limit and I've never had interference from the center stand.

Last edited:
Back