• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

1400 Eldorado running problems

Mor

Just got it firing!
Hi, I have a 1400 Eldorado with the 7SM ECU. I've had the bike almost a year and really enjoy it but this is starting to frustrate me.
Issues are:
Takes a lot of cranking to start the engine, over 10 seconds of cranking. It starts fine when cold, first start of the day is usually fine but if I ride a couple of minutes even and turn it off it's very hard to start again.
Engine braking is not always there. If I'm riding along and release the throttle it will sometimes give the expected engine braking and then it seems as if the throttle has opened slightly and engine braking goes away. Like it's in a neutral throttle kind of state. Then a second later engine braking will come back.
Idle hangs a little high before returning to ~1200 RPM.

I've checked my throttle cables for slack.
The previous owner performed the mod that removes the tip over valve and evap and plugged the intake with a bolt. All looks fine there.

I found a good bit of oil in the air box when I got the bike and gave it a check over. Cleaned it out and drained the hose. I'm wondering if some of that oil has gotten onto the MAP sensor and throttle body. Would a good spray of carb cleaner into the air box with the bike running possibly clean them?

Could it be a fault with the demand sensor or temperature sensor?

Battery is brand new.
Spark plugs are brand new.
Only run premium fuel.

I really want to get to the bottom of this as it's taking away from my enjoyment of the bike, riding along focused on the throttle and embarrassment at petrol stations.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Read this.

Are you running a stock map in the ECU?
No, garbage from the clueless thief of maps.

Mor, we don’t have a magic wand, so it’s strongly recommended you get the bike to a dealer who can properly diagnose the issue, including restoring the stock ECU map. The bike is ride by wire, and spraying anything anywhere will do more harm than good. It’s likely that the demand sensor or pressure sensor has been damaged if you had oil in the air box, regardless of what the freeware says. End.

These issues were present with the stock map, there was no change in them after re-mapping. I've gone back to the stock map and no change.
Thanks for clarifying that you guys don't have a magic wand, I'm disappointed as I was sure that by coming on here I could get it waved in my general direction and that would solve all my problems.
"Spraying anything anywhere will do more harm than good", Good to know.
Can you elaborate on how oil vapour would damage the demand sensor and pressure sensor beyond repair?
Thanks for the kind advice.
End

Last edited:
When was the last time the bike was properly serviced?
Valves adjusted, don't know if that model uses a TPS but that needs to be reset if it does.
7SM ECU is your biggest issue...

No service history with the bike so I don't know. I'll check valve clearances this weekend, had read another thread here about a hanging idle and in some cases it was cured by adjusting valve clearances. The bike only has 16k miles.
There's one dealer in my country and it's a 5 hour round trip but I'll contact them about an ECU flash. I heard there's an update for that ECU that has helped some too.

Back