• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

1973 Moto Guzzi identification help needed

bob_mcnab

Just got it firing!
I have owned this Moto Guzzi since 1997. I've decided to sell it however, I cannot figure out exactly what model this is.

The data tag as you can see by the photographs, shows it a:
V7 Sport
VIN: VM25FB

Also, as you can see the stamp on the frame shows VM25FB. This information shows it to be a V7 Sport however the research I have done shows it to be the style of an Eldorado (see photos). I would very much appreciate any help you can provide with this.

Thank you in advance, Bob

20240513_110854.jpg

20240508_135034.jpg IMG_7796.JPEG

That IS NOT a V7 Sport.

The tag has been replaced. The stamping is absolutely atrocious and appears to me to be obviously fake.

You can contact the Moto Guzzi archives and purchase a basic report for that VIN.

Google it or SEARCH here. Good luck.

Just looked at Greg Benders Loop List of VIN's & NO VM preface there is a VP preface though.
Looks like a 73 Eldorado 850 chrome on tank means it wasn't a California or GT. My guess is that it came from EU not USA
Amboman should know.

THANKS Note ~ The speedometer is in kilometers so may be special Vin for whatever country it was exported to ?
Question ~ What would be the point of changing the tag ?
Contacted Piaggio and no help. They say they do not have records back that far. Thanks for your input
Bob

You could send an email to Mr Bender and ask if he knows. I worked on a 74 Police model w/all the police equipment a few years ago. Italian police model bought by a serviceman & brought back to states. It also had Amal carbs. Cool stuff.

Also check the engine number. In that era, the engine number and frame serial number were the same. On US imports, the data tag was riveted to the head stock and no numbers were on the frame. You have a, shall we say, an "interesting" situation.

THANKS Note ~ The speedometer is in kilometers so may be special Vin for whatever country it was exported to ?
Question ~ What would be the point of changing the tag ?
Contacted Piaggio and no help. They say they do not have records back that far. Thanks for your input
Bob
Bob -

You ask "What would be the point of changing the tag?"

Like anything else in the world, "follow the money". Even though this very nice Eldorado could not be mistaken for a "V7 Sport" from 200 feet away (my apologies to present company), a "V7 Sport" is worth three times what a stock Eldo from the same year is worth in the same condition. Whoever changed the tag had some nefarious goal in mind; no way was it an honest mistake of some sort.

Edit: But given Charlie's observation just below this, where he has seen this tag before, I'll have to backtrack my assertion that it could only have been fraud. Although the V7 Sport and the Loopframes don't have the same frame .... ?

Lannis

Last edited:
Loopframe Guzzis pop up on occasion with VIN tags that read "V7 Sport", this is third one I know of. How it happened hasn't been determined out as far as I know.

In "80 Years of Moto Guzzi Motorycles" by Mario Colombo, it lists "V7 750 Special (1969-1971) from frame VM 00 AA to frame VM 25 EP". The bike in question exceeds both the year range and VIN parameters though.

From the photo, it's hard to say what it is. Later engine case, which the last of the V7 Specials/Ambassadors used, but also used on the 850GT/Eldorado, so without an engine number there's no way telling which it is. It's fitted with a 4 speed transmission, which was only used on the V700 and V7 Special/Ambassador. Of course, much could have been changed over the last 50 years.

It could just be a "bitsa" that someone assembled out of parts they had access to.

Loopframe Guzzis pop up on occasion with VIN tags that read "V7 Sport", this is third one I know of. How it happened hasn't been determined out as far as I know.

In "80 Years of Moto Guzzi Motorycles" by Mario Colombo, it lists "V7 750 Special (1969-1971) from frame VM 00 AA to frame VM 25 EP". The bike in question exceeds both the year range and VIN parameters though.

From the photo, it's hard to say what it is. Later engine case, which the last of the V7 Specials/Ambassadors used, but also used on the 850GT/Eldorado, so without an engine number there's no way telling which it is. It's fitted with a 4 speed transmission, which was only used on the V700 and V7 Special/Ambassador. Of course, much could have been changed over the last 50 years.

It could just be a "bitsa" that someone assembled out of parts they had access to.
Thank you - I've attached a photo of the engine serial number (M*025731*)

20240508_134455.jpg

Thank you - I've attached a photo of the engine serial number (M*025731*)
There's a faint "V" in front of the "M" it looks like. That engine number leads me to believe that it is a V7 Special (757 cc), possibly one of those described on the "Loop List" on ThisOldTractor.com:
1 of 36 machines purchased in 1973 by the Greek Government. Thanks to Giorgos Kollias for providing this information.

Back