• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

1977 T3

MarkB

Just got it firing!
I have an opportunity of getting a 1977 T3 with lots of miles, pretty cheap, and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them. I am looking to initially get it for my wife to learn on(she has taken and passed the MSF class), but don't know whether the 850 is too big for her. I have not ridden it yet, and won't be able to for a couple of weeks, but I am mostly interested in how much initial acceleration it has and how the weight handles.

I'd get the T-3, but not for your wife as a starter bike. The acceleration is good on them and they handle well for only 35mm forks. However, the weight and seat height may be a problem for a new rider.

Get her something she is comfortable with, not what you want to get for her. Let her pick the bike based on size and her personal comfort level. She will ride more and gain more confidence with something she chooses. The bike must fit her for both physical size wise and mentally. Within a year she will be ready for the T3, but not as a novice rider.

Reminds me of the old joke, "I got a new bike for my wife. Fair trade"

The T3 is relatively heavy (200+ kg) but the the handling is very safe and predictable provided it's in good condition. Depending on your wife's experience it's not a bad option. Downside is that cheap+miles usually means lots of work required, and a loose, ratty bike will be no fun for her

Peter

Mark, Johns advise is very sound. A few years back my wife had out grown her GPX250 Kwaka and I suggested she call in to check out a couple of small block 500 or 650's I forget which. On the test ride it stalled and didn't want to restart so she called the shop and some one came out to help get her back. He was on a "good little yellow bike"(her favourite colour)that he used as his current daily ride. She got a short ride of this bike (set up for a much taller person) up and down the street as they were closing up. The yellow bike was $2000 more than the guzzi but six weeks later I secretly bought it for her for Christmas. Jenny was so enthusiastic about the bike that she wanted and that was good enough for me.
That Yellow Ducati Monster is still with us and will probably stay for a good while yet :D :D

PS Jenny has never asked if her bum looked big on it either B) B)

Kym, I'd be interested to learn from your experience with the Monster as I'm considering one to supplement the T3. If you get the chance could you please PM me a few thoughts?

Peter

As a long time (32 years) T3 owner, thought I would put in my 2 cents. In some respects a T3 would be a good beginner bike. Assuming it is in a decent state of repair, of course. Probably the main reason that I have kept my T3 this long is that it is what I would consider a very balanced motorcycle, & as such very undemanding of the rider. It has more braking and handling than it has horsepower, & the horsepower it has is easily used-meaning not at all peaky. The handling is fairly slow, not at all twitchy, & very confidence inspiring within the limits of the horsepower that it has, whether on the highway or in the twisties, and very resistant to heavy cross winds. All this is good for a new rider. I also very much like the integrated triple discs, which are much less demanding of the new rider than say a modern 4-pot front brake, which if squeezed too hard can easily put a bike on the ground in less than ideal traction situations. They just demand less expertise at braking under normal conditions. I also think the seat height is pretty reasonable, and I am only about 5'5" myself. Seat height is way lower than, say, on my Norge. On the other hand as others have pointed out, the bike is no lightweight. If your wife is 5' tall & 110 pounds & slight of build, something lighter & smaller would be a better choice.

Back